Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X4: Foundations - Mount and Blade with space-ships. Now with significant Beta update

Perkel

Arcane
Downloaded and i am staring.
1000 hours here i go...

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Fucking jousticks. Why hotas need to be so expensive ? :/
I am looking right now at prices and they are fucking expensive.

as of UI i think the biggest negative is that it does seem a bit laggy at times.
It is not instant like it needs to rerender at that stuff instead of it being in background.

5GB downloaded 6 more to go.

What do you mean expensive? If you mean Thrustmaster Warthog that's certainly needed not for such a popamol game. The thing has solid metal parts the grip weighs 1.5 kg alone, has high precision sensors for flight simulations, all not required for such games with b/s physics. You want something cheap get a 50$ plastic thingy and it will be enough.

Perkel

Arcane
Sorry mate but i can't play with plastic thingy.
If you buy joystick for space game you need hotas and hotas are expansive.

edit:

Awesome. You can scale UI. 1.5 is best fit at least for now.
Game really fucking hates MSAA. At starting location i have 60fps locked, 20% cpu and 50% of gpu but when i switch MSAA to 4x it jumps to almost 100%. It looks like new engine follows every other engine where MSAA is really expensive. There is SSAA option but this is just supersampling while FXAA is garbage that doesn't work like always.

Either way performance compared to X-rebirth is huge plus, we will see how it will be working when factions will grow.

Gamepad UI seems really nice so far, even map works really well.
Scratch that. They still use X-rebirth one button one function crap.
So M+K it is for now. I need to write to ego about this. Why the fuck X3 can do it right when X-rebirth and X4 can't.

Last edited:

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
WTF borons are actually in game !
Ego said they won't be. Though he met one boron on mission as mission contact.
And he was floating in water.

So, are they present with they own unique ships? Or is it some kind of refugee for the mission purpose?

Also, for cheap joysticks, I was thinking about that one:

link

or that one (same thing):

link

primarily because it has both hat switch and 4-way dpad on the stick - very rare in cheap joysticks - and quite useful, e.g., dpad for directional thrusts (strafe) and hat switch for looking around. Anyone has some experience with that joystick?

cw8

Cipher
Streams look fine so far. I don't trust Steam reviews especially the early ones and especially after Pathfinder Kingmaker ones. Waiting for more feedback before buying.

Mortmal

Arcane
47% reviews positive, that does not bode well, was thinking to use my hotas, first review i read is it doesn't work...

Raapys

Arcane
The visual/audio feedback part of the combat and flying and all that shit feels surprisingly bad. The effects are cheap, sound effects bland, etc. Never the series greatest strength, but this is still disappointing.

Game crashed on me and when I restarted it the 'load game' and 'continue' buttons were unavailable, leading me to believe it had somehow lost my saves. I could access them again by starting a fresh game.

Perkel

Arcane
edit: yeah Discoverer cockpit is aas. Elite cockpit from 1st start is much better.
edit: default keyboard binding is ass. For example F is completely not used so is G. which perfectly works for Travel mode and quick menu instead of pressing enter like retard every time. Space is a bit weird for shooting but i guess it works when you have right click context menu.

Yeah looks like other HOTAS people use don't work correctly.
Judging by profiles in controls officially supported by Ego sticks are:

- Saitek X52 Pro
- Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthhog

my performance outside of 1st station in with 1st start (young something):

60fps locked
70% GPU use
50% CPU use

High settings@1080p no aa but shimmering is fairly small.
i5-3570K@4,5Ghz + GTX980 stock.

Overall performance is great and looks like going from DirectX9 to Vulcan lowered ALOT CPU usage
compared to X-rebirth.

Though i understand why people could complain on performance considering it doesn't look like Elite nor it runs like it (which runs at 100fps+ on my rig)

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
look at that shit, though don't know why msi afterburner make screenshots this dark:

GDzwidl.jpg

Raapys

Arcane
Couldn't figure out why more people didn't have trouble docking. Turns out, the docking indicators only show if the cockpit is actually enabled. Sad.

Edija

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Graphics are a disappointment, the explosions look horrible. I mean, really horrible. Worse than in X3. I like the ship modes for now. Haven't found any missions yet and just been exploring and recording a bit. Only 3 starts which is another disappointment and it seems there isn't a dedicated trader start. There is one that seems like semi-combat/exploration (Argon), Combat (Paranid) and I'm not sure what the third one is supposed to be.

Saw some broken textures here and there, a few glitches when landing (ships sink into the station but they just jump back). The best looking part of the game are the stations and when you actually look at the traffic. Highways are an interesting mechanic. I don't know, I've got what I expected except that the explosions and graphics look like they were looking when they showed alpha footage. Anti-Aliasing is balls. I can play on Ultra with FXAA, any other anti-aliasing mode tanks the performance from 60fps to 20, even in a hangar. (I5-8400, 16GB DDR4, GTX 1060 6 GB VRAM).

Have to play more I guess. Steam workshop is welcome and I hope that this can be a good Foundation :cool: for mods.

Raapys

Arcane
Has anyone discovered how to remove/disable that "X Stations" overlay on the map? It's incredibly annoying since it hides all the actual icons you wanna click.

I found a couple of missions. 130k credits times two for flying a few km, going EVA and pushing space(repair) for a few seconds... Very weird.

Perkel

Arcane
Anti-Aliasing is balls. I can play on Ultra with FXAA, any other anti-aliasing mode tanks the performance from 60fps to 20, even in a hangar. (I5-8400, 16GB DDR4, GTX 1060 6 GB VRAM).

Yes it uses MSAA or SSAA which are both ultra taxing. MSAA is old type of AA that doesn't jive well with modern engines due to how they render stuff while SSAA is just multiplier of your internal resolution by 2 or 4.
There is FXAA but that always was garbage.

They need to implement MLAA or SMAA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reworked a bit logo, last one was fugly

LOGO
put that logo folder in documents/egosoft where config.xml file is

SoNMoZx.jpg

Morkar Left

Fucking jousticks. Why hotas need to be so expensive ? :/
I am looking right now at prices and they are fucking expensive.

as of UI i think the biggest negative is that it does seem a bit laggy at times.
It is not instant like it needs to rerender at that stuff instead of it being in background.

5GB downloaded 6 more to go.

Thrustmaster T-Flight

Cobra V5

Perfectly servicable if you don't want to create your own flightsim cockpit.

Perkel

Arcane
Those sticks look nice but judging by opinion of people who own something else than game has profiles about i wouldn't try to buy them.
Used X52Pro also is in that range of price.

Perkel

Arcane
edit: shit, game seem to use steam input rather than DS4Windows which means no remaping for now :/
edit2: also it seems to accept only keys from one keyboard only which means no remap via emulating keyboard...

Last edited:

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
How is controlilng capital ships handled in this one?
Do they still play like giant fighter that fly like a brick?
That may sound like a dumb question, but why isn't that in the Space sub forum?

Perkel

Arcane
Is there a way to see fps in game on the gog version? Fraps not working.

go to controls there is button for FPS display.
Also don't use FRAPS because it is crap.
Use MSI Afterburner though you need to first enable monitoring and check FPS and set up key for onscreen display of stats.

How is controlilng capital ships handled in this one?
Do they still play like giant fighter that fly like a brick?
That may sound like a dumb question, but why isn't that in the Space sub forum?

I don't think anyone got capital ship yet so idk. But i don't expect it to drive any different than a brick.
Unlike X3 though you have supercruise so you can actually fly with them and not get bored to death.

Raapys

Arcane
Interesting. Just got teleported an insane distance away from everything. Map can't even track me anymore. Reload time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom