Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

2018 Interactive Fiction Competition

Erebus

Arcane
(I was wondering if I should post this in the Library, but it seems that the previous threads about the IF Comp were in Adventure Gaming.)

The 2018 Interactive Fiction Competition has ended a bit more than a week ago. There were 77 entries, almost as much as the previous year.

I tried to play all of the entries and I pretty much succeeded... but in some cases, I gave up extremely quickly.

I wasn't always very patient with parser-based entries (in part because I'm not very good with them). They're fairly diverse, with some of them offering choices so limited they might as well be described directly to the player, while others require advanced guesswork that makes it very easy to get stuck. Some of them, including the winner of the competition, are well-balanced.

I spent more time on the choice-based entries. Several of them were so unchallenging that you can't really call them text adventures. I guess "interactive fiction" can be a pretty broad genre.

My personal favorite was "The Master of the Land" : it has a good setting, an intriguing plot, and an impressive freedom of movement and time management. "The Origin of Madame Time" and "Dynamite Powers" are both pretty fun adventure games, and would be excellent if they offered more freedom. "Devotionalia" is almost completely unchallenging, but I enjoyed it because of its unusual setting and main character. "Dream Pieces 2" is an entertaining little game. There were several others I enjoyed, though they were sometimes flawed : "Grimnoir", "Dungeon Detective", "Railways of Love"...

There were some parser-based entries that seemed pretty good, but that I can't fully judge because I got stuck at some point : "Alias 'The Magpie'" (the winner), "Erstwhile", etc.

I can't help but mention that I did enter the competition myself and that my entry got the 13th place. Since I don't usually write fiction in english and my entry was a bit unusual by the competition's standards (too gamebooky), I'm fine with that.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
showimage

You should have won an award for best cover art. +M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom