Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Fully playable Ultima Underworld 1 port to Unity with mouse-look

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
This is over a year old, some people probably already know, but this should be talked about more: https://github.com/hankmorgan/UnderworldExporter/releases

The game is fully playable, runs smoothly, has an Arx Fatalis-like control scheme where you press E to switch between mouse-look and unlocking the mouse. Also adds the ability to play with the soundtrack from the PSX release and customize the UI & controls.

DtF2tspUwAI-868.jpg

DtF2sqNVYAEV2pw.jpg

DtF2tNuUwAAVOse.jpg

Good to wash out the disaster that Underworld Ascendant was...

ShaggyMoose

Savant
I never knew this had a PSX version...

Interesting that it also covers System Shock 1, which doesn't seem like a lot of point given the enhanced version is already released that seems to cover their feature list already.

Time to dig out my UW CD...

Dux

Arcane
Very nice to see. They're continuing to work on UU2 as well I take it?

Zerth

Arbiter
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Only a 64bit release for windows. Can't run it on my crap netbook, but on my desktop PC. I'm interested in the Linux version's performance though.

rbenchley

Educated
Patron
Unity is garbage. But the alternative is just not getting it.

But yeah, unity is garbage.

Eh, the biggest problem isn't necessarily that Unity is garbage in and of itself. It's a capable enough engine, although I have no idea why people would choose it over UE4. I think the big problem is that it's just easy enough to use that people that don't know what they're doing can get something up and running pretty quickly and then run right into a brick wall when it comes to things like optimization or adding custom features.

Skdursh

Savant
wonder what the state of this in, as when I last checked it out was rather not ready yet for play

It claims that Ultima Underworld 1 is fully playable, but I can't vouch for that personally. I'm going to give it a try sometime tomorrow afternoon most likely and I'll report back.

vota DC

Augur
Commands seems different here. I could play original with mouse only, here they encourage to use a lot the keyboard.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
SLAY THOSE WHO MAKE GAMES IN UNITY!!!

:bro:

And then, let's take a piss on their graves.

Unity has come a long way since v5 and onwards. It's an exellent choice for small scale and even medium sized games. Editor, tools, UI, Unity asset store and realtime previewing allow for rapid production cycles, better so than UE4.

Pots Talos

Horizon's End
Developer
It's been over a decade since my last playthrough, this is a good excuse to fire it up again.

Andhaira

Arcane

Unity has come a long way since v5 and onwards. It's an exellent choice for small scale and even medium sized games. Editor, tools, UI, Unity asset store and realtime previewing allow for rapid production cycles, better so than UE4.

Then why does every fucking RPG made in it have such insanely high system requirements and even then stutters with poor frame rate and heating issues??

moraes

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Mouselook and WASD movement is awesome, I can finally play this.

I've ran into a couple of bugs or annoyances, like being unable to pick up things from the ground, having to click a thousand times to do it. Also, the death screen constantly loops between the skulls and the Silver Tree sometimes, and does not let me re-spawn.

Is there any consequence to dying and re-spawning at the tree?

Slings are OP.

Skdursh

Savant
Play the original or nothing.
Screw that. These games definitely benefit from these Unity/engine remakes. It guarantees that future generations will still be able to play them as technology leaves the originals behind and also adds plenty of quality of life features and improvements. Just look at Daggerfall Unity, the remake is nearing feature-parity and it actually has a view distance farther than 15 feet.

Skdursh

Savant

Then why does every fucking RPG made in it have such insanely high system requirements and even then stutters with poor frame rate and heating issues??
Because it's easy enough to use at first glance that any random jackass can start building a game with it, but then don't know enough about making games or programming to tackle optimization. When people with actual skills make games with it, they tend to run fine.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom