Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

Sharpedge

Prophet
I am not really sure why people consider that fight particularly challenging tbh, by the time you have got to him you have more then enough tools to deal with the problem.

hell bovine

Arcane
Even the most basic troll has a Con of 23, Regeneration 5, and Fortitude Save of at least +11. In narrative terms, trolls very likely resist or get rid of poisons/sedatives/drugs/etc. at an incredible rate, if at all affected. Nevermind the fact that drugs may contaminate the test results. It is entirely possible that drugs simply aren't an option.
You can't contaminate any test results if you have one subject that you have been "experimenting" on over and over again. How are you going to run any statistics on one sample? And where are your controls? Nevermind that the troll's biology has likely changed due to repeated torture and starvation.

Anaesthesia is used irl animal reasearch. Thing is, plenty of factors influence experimental results, even the animal holding conditions, and it's the job of the scientist in charge to account for that when planning the experimental setup.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
You can't contaminate any test results if you have one subject that you have been "experimenting" on over and over again.
Of course you can. For all we know, pain is an integral part of troll regeneration. He could have a near-infinite amount of reasons for not sedating or anesthetizing the trolls. Jumping to the conclusion that he doesn't have a good reason (or at the very least rationalization) is silly.
How are you going to run any statistics on one sample? And where are your controls?
This may not even be relevant to what he's doing - it seems unlikely, for exactly the reasons you state. Also, there's no way to know for how long he's been doing this. Statistics and controls may come later - if, again, it's even relevant.
Nevermind that the troll's biology has likely changed due to repeated torture and starvation.
Biology doesn't just "change" because of repeated torture and starvation, wtf. Also, we're talking about literal magic here - trolls regenerate in a matter of minutes or, at worst, hours. Whatever their biology, it's exceedingly robust.
Anaesthesia is used irl animal reasearch.
Completely irrelevant. If we were researching biological immortality and the research depended in some way on the subjects being in pain, you can bet your ass there'd be research done anyway.
Thing is, plenty of factors influence experimental results, even the animal holding conditions, and it's the job of the scientist in charge to account for that when planning the experimental setup.
Yes. Nothing suggests that he hasn't tried to account for these things in a relevant manner within the context of the universe.

I'm sorry, but your assumption that it is a given that Ol' Barty could get the trolls doped up on "moon radishes or other magical drugs" or that he would "still be able to study the regeneration factor" if he could is rubbish. It's entirely possible that he cannot reasonably dope up the trolls, and it's also entirely possible that if the trolls were doped up, he wouldn't be able to study the regeneration factor. We really have no way to know, because as far as I know, there's no published book on Golarion Vivisection for Pathfinder.

If someone needs an explanation for why Bartholomew is Evil, the answer may be a lot simpler: Because he's fucking torturing (a) sentient being(s). There doesn't need to be a "because" or a "despite". More than that, he's not even remorseful or hesitant concerning the fact, but is in fact implied to enjoy his work to some degree, which makes it far worse than if someone would suck it up due to some perceived necessity, such as curing an ongoing plague or something to that effect. And he's Lawful because he carries his mission or calling out in a calculated, principled manner, with a clear and present goal in mind, however reprehensible his actions may be considered by others.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Why is allowing Bartholomew's experiment is even evil? I hate mindless suffering of living beings, but i dont see the downside if having a lat rab to make betterment of humanity.
Because trolls are intelligent creatures. Not very intelligent but still.. would it be evil to experiment on Down Syndrome humans for the betterment of humanity? Would be evil if Down Syndrome also made them aggressive and possibly dangerous to those that are not prepared?

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
I have question about one particular quest from Fey:
Shyka gave me quest on crown, but in the end I had a choice: give crown to Shyka and she/he/it promised to help against Nyrissa (he/she/it didn't mentioned about what kind of help), give crown to priest of Pharasma ( which have very absurd history imho), keep it to yourself. Which choice is better and what kind of help Shyka will offer later?

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
:shredder:
Fuck i didn't expect the house at the end of time to be that shit. People randomly die without any way you could interfere. There should have been some checks to save them or something like that. Also the whole layout is pretty shit.

If you did their quests, you're mostly fine. Except for certain characters like Nok-Nok where you needed to do his quest in a specifc way.
I thought you could have Nok-Nok survive as either a Hero or a Jester

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
Shyka gave me quest on crown, but in the end I had a choice: give crown to Shyka and she/he/it promised to help against Nyrissa (he/she/it didn't mentioned about what kind of help), give crown to priest of Pharasma ( which have very absurd history imho), keep it to yourself. Which choice is better and what kind of help Shyka will offer later?
Don't give it to Shyka if you plan to to romance Nyrissa.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath

Shyka just unlocks special premature ending option. I kind of regret giving it to him.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
:shredder:
Fuck i didn't expect the house at the end of time to be that shit. People randomly die without any way you could interfere. There should have been some checks to save them or something like that. Also the whole layout is pretty shit.

If you did their quests, you're mostly fine. Except for certain characters like Nok-Nok where you needed to do his quest in a specifc way.
I thought you could have Nok-Nok survive as either a Hero or a Jester
Mine survived as a jester,only linzy and the jathal died,the later really pissed me off. From what i read it is because some retarded priest decided to off himself in the Tristan's quests :roll:. This last level is total shit,the green fog makes even more shit. Replaying bunch of empty levels twice is not fun at all.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm annoyed by the fact that perfumed butt-rape Cimmerian makes ancient lichclops look like a scrub. There's something wrong with the power & plot progression here.

Thonius

Arcane
Shyka is not Fey, She/he is Eldest. You can keep crown too and use it to call ghosts. Or you can free it in cut-scene.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
What's the advantage of hanging on to the crown and not releasing the ghost? Curious because I picked freeing the guy trapped inside and, judging by Shyka's reply, that was the best option, but I can't tell if there was a mechanical gain from that.
Shyka answer like that on any choice in this quest, he/she/it always says that this is a best option.

Yosharian

Arcane
Point being - it doesn't matter if there's only a little bit of it in there - as far as SJW/feminism stuff goes; its still cancer. Except in this game it was mostly benign. When it could have been as interesting/funny as the rest of their writing.
Only a sith deals in absolutes.

Jokes aside, I agree that the characters could be better. I don't think that's a reason to declare war on Kingmaker or Owlcat, though. This isn't a fucking crusade.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Wild Hunt trashmob group example on unfair (no sirocco or cloud shit just balls deep select all->attack)

Tristan truly is dead weight. I completed both his and Jaethals quest, making her spare her daughter, so isn't she supposed to return alive as Inquisitor of Pharasma? Yet he kills her anyhow. Bugged or working as intended?

Last edited:
So I started playing Nostalgiafinder: Shovelmaker. Very early in, will probably get my ass beat because I don't know much about Pathfinder settings/rules. Playing on Challenging.

Decent graphics, crapload of loading screens. Story so far seems really dull (lets get a bunch of hobos and let them take over a neighboring kingdom, instead of sending our army in or something), but the dialogues dont yet sap my will to live as in say Dragon Age: origins or Pillars of Eternity, and aren't full-on retarded, as in D:OS.

Casters seem to be shafted, with few resting spots and initiative delaying casting. Non-casters, on the other hand, seem to be mostly about auto-attacking.

Too early to tell, in any case. Will keep playing.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Point being - it doesn't matter if there's only a little bit of it in there - as far as SJW/feminism stuff goes; its still cancer. Except in this game it was mostly benign. When it could have been as interesting/funny as the rest of their writing.
Only a sith deals in absolutes.

Jokes aside, I agree that the characters could be better. I don't think that's a reason to declare war on Kingmaker or Owlcat, though. This isn't a fucking crusade.

No,no,no - I think it's a fantastic game. I just think it could have been even better, but I expect they were given a list of inclusion and diversity targets by the publisher that had to weave its way in with their talent. Even with that shit included, it could easily be ignored by appointing the crap party members as advisors and tailoring the ones you like to whatever class you want because of the rules. I'm just concerned that as the targets get bigger (as they do), the room for the funny and interesting stuff will shrink.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I've played for about 10 hours now. And it's surprisingly bug-free, so far. I expected much worse. Of course it might still get worse later on.

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
I've played for about 10 hours now. And it's surprisingly bug-free, so far. I expected much worse. Of course it might still get worse later on.
It should be pretty solid for at least 40-50 hours, depending on how long that takes you and how fast they start dropping bugfixes again after the DLC releases.
What's the advantage of hanging on to the crown and not releasing the ghost? Curious because I picked freeing the guy trapped inside and, judging by Shyka's reply, that was the best option, but I can't tell if there was a mechanical gain from that.
I think it only gives you
another chance to research a curse, in case you need it to hit 13 curses researched.
Wild Hunt trashmob group example on unfair (no sirocco or cloud shit just balls deep select all->attack)

Tristan truly is dead weight. I completed both his and Jaethals quest, making her spare her daughter, so isn't she supposed to return alive as Inquisitor of Pharasma? Yet he kills her anyhow. Bugged or working as intended?

There's more to it than just getting her to spare her daughter.
You also apparently have to make sure the priest doesn't kill himself or the girl in Tristian's final quest.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Out of the box Tristian has no defensive abilities so the only way for him to not eat every arrow is to level up Stealth + gib Stealth items and cast Invis on him.

Alternatively you can try and grow a Mystic Teurge out of him, but then - no blade barriers, summon undead, flame storm and so on.

On the other hand, if you just walk him around the corner to break LOS after archers aggro on him, enemy archers will run through your whole party regardless of distance and die instantly to your AOOs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom