Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo 2: Median XL Sigma

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
https://www.median-xl.com/

Median XL: Sigma
Something that has for long been a myth for many people (including myself) is finally coming together. In this topic I'll try to explain what sigma is and what makes it so special, as well as some of the new changes / paradigms involved in it and how it has evolved throughout the years. Median XL: Sigma is basically a co-op project between the entire Median XL team. But... what exactly makes this patch any different to other ones?

It uses an enhanced engine. To briefly explain this, imagine Diablo II as an old building with people living in it. What median does is, change the people living in it, their clothes, etc. It adds new people with new patches and it removes people who behave badly. But there are limitations, some rooms have too many people in them, and things can get messy. The enhanced engine (or core, from now on) is the main feature of sigma, and what this does is replace the stairs with elevators, makes the rooms bigger, and a lot of other things that would normally not be possible.

Core Features
So, there are a lot of new features that are possible thanks to this new core. For example:
  • Increased game resolution
  • Addition of extra areas (*)
  • Addition of new affixes / stats
  • Improved Interface
  • Bounty System (similar to D3)
  • Automatic gold pick-up
  • In-game drop filter
  • Time events
(*) Ever wondered why Median replaces existing areas rather than adding new ones? Or why does act 4 have no uberquests? This is because of a limitation that doesn't allow you to add new areas to the game. This, however, will be possible in sigma.

And so much more. You can check this topic to see some of the core patch features. Note that a lot of it is a bit techy, but you will see some of these features reflected as comprehensive changes in the changelog when the time comes. Plus, if you don't like reading, you might as well check this topic to see some cool screenshots.

This has been a long time coming, the new engine alone will be a big deal.

Unwanted

Soulstones

Unwanted
So much work so that Blizzard can shut it down, considering that they are investing into D4 publicity and dont want any alternatives.

deama

Prophet
Is there an option to increase mob spawns by a lot?

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron

/players X works in singleplayer, but that iirc doesn't affect pack sizes - just HP/damage and drop rates. Not sure if spawn rates are easily configurable, been a long while since I last played MXL.

deama

Prophet

/players X works in singleplayer, but that iirc doesn't affect pack sizes - just HP/damage and drop rates. Not sure if spawn rates are easily configurable, been a long while since I last played MXL.
I just want bigger pack sizes, not hp bloat or drop rates.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I once packed a map too much. Every last bit of space was a mob. God that slowed the win Xp machine down. Zombie apocalypse. (They we’re also like 10x as tough). Was funny because we made our characters level 0 (and you miss so much).

Gregz

Arcane
The original author of Median XL, Brother Laz, was a singular genius. The guys who have since replaced him aren't.

I hope I'm wrong, but despite these not unimpressive architecture upgrades, I question their ability to create compelling gameplay.

Ultimative was a step backwards (overly difficult, tedious, and frustrating). Here's hoping sigma isn't.

I do not remember the original Diablo 2 being so fast paced ?

Movement speed is modded to be much faster than vanilla, also those are end-game builds with extreme speed enhancing items, you don't start nearly that fast.

Last edited:

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
The original author of Median XL, Brother Laz, was a singular genius. The guys who have since replaced him aren't.

I hope I'm wrong, but despite these not unimpressive architecture upgrades, I question their ability to create compelling gameplay.

Ultimative was a step backwards (overly difficult, tedious, and frustrating). Here's hoping sigma isn't.

I agree that Laz is rather exceptional (he went on to make similarly prominent mods for Skyrim) but could you elaborate on what you mean by Ultimative being inferior?

I am not well-versed in Median gameplay but am interested to try this newest version out once it releases.

Gregz

Arcane
I agree that Laz is rather exceptional (he went on to make similarly prominent mods for Skyrim) but could you elaborate on what you mean by Ultimative being inferior?

My answer won't be very satisfying. I've revisited this mod about 4 times over the last 10 years. I vastly enjoyed the original experience to later iterations. There was a marked decline when Laz left the project. I can't say which versions I played exactly because I don't remember.

Ultimative was the least enjoyable of the 4 versions I played. It seemed very much like the game difficulty had been overtuned to suit the expertise of the hardcore forum groupies, and not for players like myself who took a few years off between replays.

Last edited:

bataille

Arcane
Movement speed is modded to be much faster than vanilla, also those are end-game builds with extreme speed enhancing items, you don't start nearly that fast.

Gotta get that PoE zoomer audience.

I think they have increased movement speed to make walking exactly as fast as running in vanilla. The reason for that was that old bug where if you're running, your defense bonus (or was it block chance?) gets lowered to 0. A ghetto fix for a problem they couldn't solve.

Last edited:

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I'm hoping they also fixed the thing that made me turn away from Median the last time: the hp/damage/resistance caps that made them turn all the boss fights into samey bullshit where something had an invulnerability shield up 99% of the time and you had to hope your attack landed.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Gotta get that PoE zoomer audience.
Funny thing there is another popular mod called Path of Diablo that is mixing D2 and PoE but it does not have so many changes to base D2 game, more like some additions and making some unused skills better. That one is mostly played by PoE players when PoE seasons have been running for 1-2 months already and they are bored of PoE

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I used to play round with the Scrabble mod. That was weird. Tried a couple of monster mods where you are a demon of some type.

I like the ones that expanded dungeon sizes. There still seems a limit on the number of maps just like the D1 was limited (no endless depth dungeons of mega size).

The auto pick up looks interesting. Here’s hoping crafting is detailed and complex. I still think it’s odd you couldn’t recover the anvil of fury in Tristram. I doubt it was destroyed considering what it’s made of.

D1 mobs in D2. Sometimes they look clunky

I always felt Act IV was getting the shaft on maps. Too short.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom