Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X4: Foundations - Mount and Blade with space-ships. Now with significant Beta update

Edija

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Playing X4 for 20 or so hours made me reinstall X2. :oops:

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Also, how in the ASS do you "look for stations" while you're actually in a highway? You just fly in, and insta-shoot to the other end in a second? There is no scanning...

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
How the hell do you make money in this shit?????

There are like zero missions, and the only way you made money in earlier games was to SETA past trading missions (and SETA seems to be a late-game seekrit weapon here).

Get on the highway thingy and cruise around, monitor your missions. They should pop up all the time while you pass stations.

This. How do you "cruise around" the highways? it just spits you out the other end instantly.

Raapys

Arcane
Maybe you've mistaken the highways with the other type of gates.

There's one huge highway which runs in a circle across something like 10-15 sectors, including Argon Prime. It's those blue lines. If you just stay on that, you'll be taken through all those sectors at 10,000 m/s. You can then watch the mission listing as you pass by stations. You'll pass by mission listing range of at least dozens of stations every cycle.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Maybe you've mistaken the highways with the other type of gates.

There's one huge highway which runs in a circle across something like 10-15 sectors, including Argon Prime. It's those blue lines. If you just stay on that, you'll be taken through all those sectors at 10,000 m/s. You can then watch the mission listing as you pass by stations. You'll pass by mission listing range of at least dozens of stations every cycle.

There's jumpgates, that instantly take you to another sector (like the old games used to have, look exactly the same too).

Then there are Highways, which look like 2 gates, one going each way. These accelerate you to 89123412341823498012374908127341234 m/s or something and spit you out the other side in a second or 2. Seem to be between different "parts" of a system, say Black Hole Sun IV and V.

None of these leave any room for exploring or scanning.

Raapys

Arcane
Right, and then there's the highways that go between sets of jumpgates in some sectors. If you stay on them, you'll pass through the gates without stop, from sector to sector, without any manual input.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Right, and then there's the highways that go between sets of jumpgates in some sectors. If you stay on them, you'll pass through the gates without stop, from sector to sector, without any manual input.

wat

Are you playing the same game as me?

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
The FUCK??

Why don't I have those????

Would have saved me hours. Is that some kind of mod? Or a ship upgrade I don't have?

Raapys

Arcane
They are permanent fixtures of some sectors. Can't really see any reason why you wouldn't have them, seems a very weird bug if so.

Maybe you just haven't been to any systems where they are yet?

Yeah the overall game feels empty like its missing stuff. What it does is impressive sure but this doesn't justify the price tag. I managed to wipe out the Xeno and now I have nothing to do. Its become incredibly difficult to find a fight now.

What? With cheats or is the game actually that easy?

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
X4 released? Cool. Does it work? Gotta keep my eye on The Star Wars Mod for this.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
They are permanent fixtures of some sectors. Can't really see any reason why you wouldn't have them, seems a very weird bug if so.

Maybe you just haven't been to any systems where they are yet?
Clearly. But from that video they are damn near everywhere. Are the start locations random? Have i just been dumped in the ass end of the nu-X Universe?

Mortmal

Arcane
after 20 hours i really cant recommend it, spent more time fighting the interface than enjoying the game. Also so many bugs, missions give you few hints and when they do its wrong info...My guild missions are bugged, i dont get any offered anymore, not that was a huge loss most of them were impossible to do. Like sending 2200 food and 1600 medecine to a system that want to buy 200 at most.
Frankly i am disappointed, it will be worth looking at it in one year like X3 maybe.

Perkel

Arcane
At this speed X4 will have 4.0 version next week :smug:

1.2 update:

• Added Korean localisation.
• Added "Keep Settings?" dialog when changing antialiasing option.
• Added user-submitted default profile for the Thrustmaster T16000m FCS HOTAS (thanks eisberg1977!).
• Changed default setting for gamepad mode to be "Only for controllers".
• Removed hull damage on collisions until the auto pilot has learned to fly around things!
• Fixed suspense music still playing even if all nearby enemies have been destroyed.

• Fixed player-owned ship icons that are underneath player-owned station icons getting selection priority.
• Fixed player ships assigned to stations not trading in some cases.
• Fixed the movement of newly assigned managers to the managers office.
• Fixed manager's office on player stations not being accessible if there is no manager.
• Fixed crew re-assignment in certain cases (e.g. from M ship to docked S ship).
• Fixed assigning of crew in the back of your ship.
• Fixed being able to assign crew as black marketeers.
• Fixed cash exploit involving hallucinogenics and hard drugs!
• Fixed too many Split characters appearing as pilots and managers.
• Fixed not being able to Comm managers of player-owned stations via the info menu.
• Fixed exploit allowing Comm with all known ships regardless of location (increased Comm range to compensate).
• Fixed repair prices being inversely proportional to the amount of damage.
• Fixed mass traffic being damaged in hazardous regions.
• Fixed Bring Item missions.
• Fixed some unlocalised text.
• Fixed excessively loud repair lasers.
• Fixed certain asteroids not displaying the correct name.
• Fixed mirrored logos on small argon fighters.
• Fixed highway adsigns clipping into opposite lane.
• Fixed high and medium graphics qualities being identical.
• Fixed graphics quality presets not changing texture quality and SSR option.

• Fixed black screen after setting controller sensitivity to zero.
• Fixed possible freeze involving ships repeatedly recalling subordinates who are unable to dock.
• Fixed several other causes of rare crashes.

The FUCK??

Would have saved me hours. Is that some kind of mod? Or a ship upgrade I don't have?

Mate maybe you are playing Elite Dangerous or something ?
It is very very very hard to miss it to anyone who play this game.

Last edited:

Edija

Arcane
Patron
Although I'm just revisiting X2 for the moment because 4 gave me the itch I don't regret my purchase. This will be a great game once Egosoft gets around to fix everything, mods come online and additional content gets released. You could say I could've gotten it cheaper later, which is true, but I guess Egosoft still is worth my support and prize tag since no one in the industry is really making anything that can compare with X games.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
The FUCK??

Mate maybe you are playing Elite Dangerous or something ?
It is very very very hard to miss it to anyone who play this game.

Starting out in Black Hole Sun, it's very easy. I have spent around 5 hours in the game, pretty much just exploring and pew pewing. Haven't found a single ultra-highway like in the video (only the normal "superhighway" ones). Haven't found a single Wharf or Shipyard yet either. Game seems VERY limited. Like even smaller than the very first one from 1999.

To be honest, all these 17 different types of highways and jumpgates makes it look more like Starpoint Gemini than X at this point. All this BS to make up for what was a perfect system before and didn't need messing with, JUMP DRIVES.

Last edited:

Raapys

Arcane
I don't mind, I always thought the square sectors were extremely dull and artificial.

I do think these ones are too big though. At least they could have concentrated the occupied parts, so it turned more into 'cities' instead of this 83948329423 miles between everything.

Morkar Left

I'm glad the jumpdrive is gone. For the X series it was really ruining the gameplay. Wars and such should now be better without enemies plopping up right over your station out of nowhere.

Jinn

Arcane
Hopping on and off the highways is fun as fuck. Also, I don't know what people are saying about there not being enough sectors. How many are there? I've only discovered 7 and fully explored 3 so far in the 15 hours I've been playing, and I do have another ship out exploring for me. Also, finding tons of stuff to do, and once you get faction missions that's like double the content, right?

Last edited:

cw8

Cipher
Full AAA price and its unfinished, i was surprised at how small the map is, very few sectors . Main plot ends after 4 missions only like the first X3 without conclusion. It will undoubtly be expanded but thats not a very honest way to do business.

Wow, that's a letdown. How small is very few sectors? 1/2 of X3? Need the Split and Boron factions asap.

Jinn

Arcane
Wow, that's a letdown. How small is very few sectors? 1/2 of X3? Need the Split and Boron factions asap.

Actually just counted all the sectors on a screenshot of the full map at release. There are 45 sectors right now, probably with quite a few that will be added in upcoming updates and DLC. A lot less than X3 for sure.

cw8

Cipher
Read in the forums there are fewer ships as well. And people getting Frigate class ships after few hours of play means they streamlined most of the stuff. In X3, few hours of play and you're only working towards a new trading ship or M3 fighter. I don't think there are M6 corvette classes as well?

Raapys

Arcane
The sector count is smaller, but the sectors are bigger. Map size is hardly the main problem though. Seems there are some major problems with capital ships, turrets and ship AI in general, to the extent that the player's starting ship can kill pretty much everything in the game. But even if those were working properly, there's simply not enough hostiles around to call for anything big from the player's side. Either due to problems with the economy or the faction AI, maybe both. Neither the Xenon, Kha'ak or pirates are an obstacle at the moment.

There's also a lot of 'missing' stuff(vs X3), like player HQ's only capability being research, no player shipyard capability or reverse engineering, very few ships, etc.

Add this to all the more obvious problems like the countless smaller bugs and horrible UI, not to mention balance issues(best way of making money is teleporting to all the stations and buying med-kit ingredients) and it's gonna be at least a year or two before this meets expectations. At the moment it collapses as soon as you get over the initial 'new to the game' phase.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Player HQ right from the start? WTF is this? Fallout 4?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom