Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex's GOTY! The best RPG of 2018?

What is the best RPG of 2018?

• Shadows: Awakening

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Immortal: Unchained

• Graveyard Keeper

• Death's Gambit

• Imperatum

• Moonlighter

• Smoke and Sacrifice

• Magic Scroll Tactics

• Long Gone Days

• State of Decay 2

• Phantom Doctrine

• Ash of Gods: Redemption

• Call of Cthulhu

• Aeon of Sands - The Trail

• Total voters

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Something like Octopath Traveler definitely deserves mention over FO76.
I agree,i put fo76 as inside joke,not because i was expecting to win. If i put "Octopath Traveler" it will just give reason to other jrpg fans to ask me to put x game in it,also i doubt that it will take more than one vote. Are you going to vote for it if i put it in?

Mortmal

Arcane
Pathfinder is disqualified cause of its release state and anyway ending chapters are shit. POE2 average, bard's tale 4 ok game but poor release state..That only leave the medieval chad simulator and an honorable mention to fallout 76 for all the entertainment , megathreads and drama provided.Not a really good year.

Egosphere

Arcane
PoE 2 is more fun than Kingmaker

Objectively it's Obsidian's best game ever.

Objectively
200.gif

Squid

Arbiter
Is Kingdom Come that good? It didn't really grab my attention when I read about it or watched a bit of the game either.
Will Vampyr get any votes? The pre-release footage I saw of that made me think it would be highly overrated and I never heard much about it afterwards. This year seems rather okay to "it could be a lot worse"

drgames

Scholar
Is Kingdom Come that good? It didn't really grab my attention when I read about it or watched a bit of the game either.

It is the historically accuracy what makes it good. But the combat was clunky when I played at release time, dunno if they improved it since then.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Can someone please remove that retard from this thread? He is just constantly shilling in every thread that he goes,i would be fine if he was just retard like Mynon or a shitposter. But we all know how he will fill this thread with his retarded shilling. Infinitron ,we summon you.

Mortmal

Arcane
Will Vampyr get any votes? The pre-release footage I saw of that made me think it would be highly overrated and I never heard much about it afterwards. This year seems rather okay to "it could be a lot worse"
Kingdom come strong points are a scenario for adult, a realistic medieval story with some memorable scenes(who dont love the priest) and beautiful environments, especially nature. I am not too fan of the combat system although. This year it was probably the most fun game.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Lurking II : A Madness gets my vote, thanks for adding it to the poll.

Its character system is serviceable (at least you create your party from the start) and so is its turn-based combat, which was improved compared with the first game since now enemies have some unique ability. Where the game really shines is in the exploration of its open world which is as big as your quest. Seasons alterate the flora, the writing is top notch and the connection to the first game which took place in the same world is clever. The dialogs are keyboard-based, there's no handolding and you have to ask for a lot of info, take notes and sort the information by yourself to solve the main quest as well as to uncover secrets, in particular one fun part is collecting various songs and spells by asking the good persons, some being needed to progress. It's not a game for everyone, with a big focus on the journey and puzzle solving, the first one is free so giving it a try is a good way to know if it's your thing.

I never played it,so i didn't know that. I was going to rate you informative until i read the trolling at the end :lol:.
Just some good natured ribbing is all. Though honestly Cultist Simulator isn't particularly much of an RPG either. It has flavor text and there are choices in what you play but mostly it's just a weird-ass card game. And Thronebreaker seems more like a visual novel with a card game stapled to it. As far as I'm aware Thronebreaker doesn't have much direct interaction between the talkies and the card game other than gaining/losing cards based on dialog and gaining (?) resources by winning card games. Can't be assed to play it but I hadn't heard of anything like your actions in the card game having an impact outside of the card game (This card died so he's actually dead, I won massively so I get a larger victory story-wise than a near win, etc) anyway.

I have played Cultist Sim though and it's good for what it is, and what it is is fairly unique. Just don't think I'd call it an RPG since there usually isn't much choice involved and a lot of it is just prepwork so you can advance and/or deal with events so you don't die/go insane/etc. And not all RPGs are heavy on choice either but then they usually make up for it mechanically or tactically and Cultist Sim kinda drops the ball there too.

Deleted member 7219

It's been a shit year in general, but especially for RPGs.

I liked Kingdom Come: Deliverance but my system didn't run it very well so I gave up once the performance problems started to become too apparent.

The Banner Saga 3 ended the trilogy well but I don't consider it a proper RPG.

Trails of Cold Steel 2 PC = orgasmic.

Pillars of Eternity 2 was great, but too short, and too little player agency, especially towards the end. It wasn't one of Obsidian's best. Still better than most RPGs out there though.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Make each entry in the poll a ha ha so ironic you made fun of the game right in its title or don't make any of them that way.

You dumbfuck.
If you are that offended you can change their title to their real ones. Only those two are worthy of a nick,you can't expect to come up with a dumb joke for 35 games of which i have played maybe 15 :roll:.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
It's not a CRPG, but there's a retro ARPG that came out this year with 80+ hours of open world content. Like Deadfire, it has over 90% positive reviews on steam.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I never played it,so i didn't know that. I was going to rate you informative until i read the trolling at the end :lol:.
Just some good natured ribbing is all. Though honestly Cultist Simulator isn't particularly much of an RPG either. It has flavor text and there are choices in what you play but mostly it's just a weird-ass card game. And Thronebreaker seems more like a visual novel with a card game stapled to it. As far as I'm aware Thronebreaker doesn't have much direct interaction between the talkies and the card game other than gaining/losing cards based on dialog and gaining (?) resources by winning card games. Can't be assed to play it but I hadn't heard of anything like your actions in the card game having an impact outside of the card game (This card died so he's actually dead, I won massively so I get a larger victory story-wise than a near win, etc) anyway.

I have played Cultist Sim though and it's good for what it is, and what it is is fairly unique. Just don't think I'd call it an RPG since there usually isn't much choice involved and a lot of it is just prepwork so you can advance and/or deal with events so you don't die/go insane/etc. And not all RPGs are heavy on choice either but then they usually make up for it mechanically or tactically and Cultist Sim kinda drops the ball there too.
I put the Thronebreaker because it is in the RPG category on gog and it have C&C in it. The Cultist Simulator have interesting premise and you roleplay as the leader,and it have good writing,so i saied why not.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
If you are that offended you can change their title to their real ones. Only those two are worthy of a nick,you can't expect to come up with a dumb joke for 35 games of which i have played maybe 15 :roll:.

Just change the ones that you made a lame attempt at renaming to their correct names.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Just change the ones that you made a lame attempt at renaming to their correct names.

I can't because they are votes already. That is why i said that you can if you want.

Can't say much on KCD since I only played a tiny portion of it (Wanted to be a dick-ass thief, game supports playing a dick-ass thief, learning to be a dick-ass thief was more than I wanted to do at the time since getting a handle on the stealth and lockpicking is iffy. Set the game down after I was tasked to steal something, got spotted, spent 10 minutes in a fistfight with the NPC where he repeatedly beat me to 0HP but I never was knocked out, then finally KO'd him and stole his shit and now am wanted) but it is immersive as all hell and Henry's the most enjoyable RPG protagonist in quite a while.

Vampyr shouldn't get any votes. I did play through all of that, and it starts out promising and then dives off a cliff. It's a bit similar to the Call of Cthulhu RPG in that way. You go into it and see some of the shit they're doing (In Vampyr's case, the semi-open world and being able to eat 99% of NPCs, including questgivers, and having all the NPCs interwoven) and then after a few hours you see they don't really go anywhere with it. All the NPCs have a suck-difficulty and just like in real life your sucking skills only improve after reaching certain points in the story, so you can only suck off key NPCs after they've served their usefulness in the story. On top of that the interwoven NPC shit is sorta neat but they don't really pay it off in a satisfying way. You can be a vampire voyeur and learn everyone's secrets and dirt, but all that really does 99% of the time is give you more XP if you suck them off and in rare cases may give you a crappy reward if you tell them/someone else about it. Then the main story has a shit ending, and the combat's too common and unsatisfying too. It's not a completely horrible game but it's hard to recommend to anyone and there are sure as shit better options for RPGOTY.

I put the Thronebreaker because it is in the RPG category on gog and it have C&C in it. The Cultist Simulator have interesting premise and you roleplay as the leader,and it have good writing,so i saied why not.
Oh yeah, I'm not completely knocking you for putting them on there, I'm just grumping a bit since they're both still questionably RPG-y.

deama

Prophet
Go and vote for degenerate popamole on some other site like cucktaku or polygay. I care only for CRPGs and the rest could fuck off!

you do realize a lot of jrpg dungeon crawlers are on console right? Dungeon crawlers that are basically spiritual succesors of Wizardry.

Or do you only play dating sim games like Bioware trash?

Edit: Something like Octopath Traveler definitely deserves mention over FO76.

But octopath traveller isn't on the PC, how can it be put on the list?
I guess in a couple of years time, sure, once the switch emulator gets going well.

Mustawd

Go and vote for degenerate popamole on some other site like cucktaku or polygay. I care only for CRPGs and the rest could fuck off!

you do realize a lot of jrpg dungeon crawlers are on console right? Dungeon crawlers that are basically spiritual succesors of Wizardry.

I guess in a couple of years time, sure, once the switch emulator gets going well.

How?

OP edits the poll and adds it to the list. It’s actually quite simple.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

How?

OP edits the poll and adds it to the list. It’s actually quite simple.

By being a PC list that excludes most JRPGs. If you are that butthurt you could make a console goty list in the JRPG sub forum. You won't see me there complaining why x game is not on the list.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Can someone please remove that retard from this thread? He is just constantly shilling in every thread that he goes

we all know how he will fill this thread with his retarded shilling.

Infinitron ,we summon you.

So you are summoning THE shill lord to deal with a shill?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom