Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
>Most impressive city
>All districts are literally 2 or fewer tiny streets, with only the docks being somewhat larger.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
People should stop hating other people for having different opinions... Especially when are talking about different opinions regarding which entertainment is best, which is entirely subjective.

Of course any retard who does not believe Deadfire is GOTY is an imbecile.

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Deadfire is well made, pretty solid and good looking.

"Most impressive city of any rpg"? Hmmmm, no, probably not. But I dont like Athkatla either.

Sigil (just an obvious example to begin with), New Reno, Novigrad, Toussant, Skingrad, Anvil, Vivec, Kingdom of Zeal, Termina...

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Ahem

Wizards using Strength

That is all. That is my entire stance on the Pillars series.

There is no strength in PoE. There is might. It is not the same thing.

By the way the whole "wizards can't be mighty" is stupid. I am a software engineer and yet i hit the gym often and i am pretty bulky and muscular. According to your logic since my occupation is about doing brain work, then i should be a wimpy faggot. And don't tell me being fit does not help in mental tasks, the brain benefits a lot from exersice and as ancient Greeks used to say "a healthy mind resides in a healthy body".

Deadfire is well made, pretty solid and good looking.

"Most impressive city of any rpg"? Hmmmm, no, probably not. But I dont like Athkatla either.

Sigil (just an obvious example to begin with), New Reno, Novigrad, Toussant, Skingrad, Anvil, Vivec, Kingdom of Zeal, Termina...

There is no city of Toussaint. That was the name of the barony. The city's name was Beauclaire.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
There is no strength in PoE.
flip over tables in a bar.
WHOOPSY :lol:

Technically speaking the stat is called "Might" but functionally it works exactly like strength during skill checks and conversations. That is the problem with PoE.
Besides, what's the point of a huge city with dialogue checks at every corner when they all result in "[Dilomacy succeeded]Why yes, I am a trans-Earth Elemental stuck in the body of a Fish Man. Wanna fuck?"

ultra loser

Scholar
  • 7 districts with their own unique theme, style, music, and lore
  • 50 accessible interiors
  • 200 interactive voiced NPCs (many with schedules)
Sounds like hell, worst part of every RPG is when you get to town and have to speak with fucking everybody, visit all houses, steal everything etc because your OCD orders you to.
Bonus shitpoints when there is no map and/or city has confusing layout.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Great cities in RPGs in my opinion:
- Baldur's Gate (Baldurs's Gate)
- Athkatla (Baldur's Gate 2)
- Sigil (Planescape Torment)
- Tarant (Arcanum)
- New Reno (Fallout 2 and Fallout of Nevada)
- Wyzima (Witcher 1)
- Novigrad (Witcher 3)
- Betancuria (A Dance with Rogues Part 1)

Good cities in RPGs:
- Daggerfall (Elder Scrolls 2: Daggerfall)
- Vault City (Fallout 2)
- Khorinis (Gothic 2)
- Defiance Bay (Pillars of Eternity)
- Domed City (Elex)
- Midgar (Final Fantasy 7)
- Berlin (Shadowrun: Dragonfall)
- Dernholm (Arcanum)
- Neverwinter (Neverwinter NIghts 2)

Still have to play PoE2. I doubt it can beat the greatest urbanistic pearls of RPGs, but I like to be pleasantly surprised.

Last edited:

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Seriously stop claiming Athkatla was any good, i am getting triggered... It sucked. Big disappointment especially considering how good Baldur's Gate was...

Also i didn't like how every part of it was kind of thematic "here is your Valygar quest location, your main quest location, your (i don't recall the inquisitor npc name)'s quest location, etc. It felt too segmented into neatly placed pieces, instead of an organic city to explore like Baldur's gate.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
  • 7 districts with their own unique theme, style, music, and lore
  • 50 accessible interiors
  • 200 interactive voiced NPCs (many with schedules)
Sounds like hell, worst part of every RPG is when you get to town and have to speak with fucking everybody, visit all houses, steal everything etc because your OCD orders you to.
Bonus shitpoints when there is no map and/or city has confusing layout.

Eh, there's enough to do that Neketaka is decent. Also you could do parts of it at a time, go sailing, come back, explore another part of town and so on...

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Muscle+wizard+is+best+class+_290666d5a5acef859339d96204881b41.jpg

Incendax

Augur
Sigil or Beauclaire for me.

Honorable mention goes to: Phlan.
But the old graphics really hurt its rank.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
My post was about the most impressive city, and you are all talking about what's the best city.

New Reno and Tarant are cool, but there's nothing impressive about them from a technological or design perspective.

Neketaka has hundreds of NPCs, 60 different areas, a functioning day & night cycle, several joinable factions, and dozens of random events. No other city comes close to that level of scope and intricacy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom