Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Civilization VI - Now available, so you can sink all your free time into it

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
The art direction for Civ6 is shit and only got worse. It was shit back in 5 too.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Hahaha, finally! Our glorious hungarian kingdom will crush every nation, led by our greatest king, Matthias the Just! But I have to admit, his face modell is so retarded. XD

How do you go from this, to that?
matyas_kiraly_Page_008_nagykep.jpg

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
Hungary is pretty freaking strong, I must say. Will be one of the top-tier nations for sure (if a little bit RNG dependent). The way I see it, you open up with 2 Scouts - scouting is not as amazing in VI (huts are real random) but it's more about finding those sity states ASAP. Hmm, could've said STAT for the lame pun; eh, I'll do it in the eventual video...

So scouts will harvest info and, hopefully, some money. Warrior will try to cleanse a barbarian camp - we want to be getting that first city-state online quickly as that'll boost our scouting even further. We'll get 4 warriors with 3 movement (or so) who will get even more tribal huts and barb camps, not to mention that we'll have a good chances to sovereign over that city instantly. Those extra envoys from levy will also boost our golden age score - since Hungary is tempo-driven, landing into a quick golden age will be quite monumental. As long as we're reasonably situated from a city-state, that first golden age (or two) is almost guaranteed.

First district will probably be holy site - thanks to that 50% bonus we'll construct the site+shrine real quick, getting a somewhat easy religion. Probably going for the Tithe belief, just so we're having even more cash. Or mb Crusade, depending on the circumstances. In most of the cities, however, first district will be a commercial hub due to reasons most obvious. And, if you have a coastal river city, hub+harbor will make for an excellent combo - gotta pay those mercs all right.

Once these are done, you try to go for the Iron so you can upgrade those levied warriors into swordsmen for free, suddenly receiving 40 strength 3 movement units. Potentially before the classical era even begins.

And even if your scouting fails or if the AI captures that city-state lightning fast, you can always go for the mass city-spam. 50% building speed to your first 2 districts is an amazing bonus and those termal baths are a real godsend for a vast empire so you'll always have a recovery plan.

So yeah. My biggest sadness, btw, is that I can't grasp a hold of any firaxis promo contacts - even youtoubers lesser than me may get civ promo keys somehow (and ahead of time) but firaxis just doesn't have a public PR email.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So yeah. My biggest sadness, btw, is that I can't grasp a hold of any firaxis promo contacts - even youtoubers lesser than me may get civ promo keys somehow (and ahead of time) but firaxis just doesn't have a public PR email.
You're probably on a black list, as you are, well... here.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Bah, Canada isn't even a real country. What's next, Belgium? Palestine? Wakanda?

My country Bohemia is 1k years old, used to be the seat of the Holy Roman Empire, we started the protestant movement that changed the world, we drink most beer in the world and are one of the fattest nations in the world. Where the fuck are we Sidon Meyer?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Bah, Canada isn't even a real country. What's next, Belgium? Palestine? Wakanda?

My country Bohemia is 1k years old, used to be the seat of the Holy Roman Empire, we started the protestant movement that changed the world, we drink most beer in the world and are one of the fattest nations in the world. Where the fuck are we Sidon Meyer?
At least you got this.
Kingdom-Come-Deliverance-header.jpeg

flyingjohn

Arcane
For anybody wondering how lazy firaxis is,just look at the giant death robot.
Instead of making new future units they add one unit with multiple simple upgrades.
I was kinda looking forward to these new features(terrain change is a great idea),but the modern era looks like such boredom that it won't be worth it.
The idiots still haven't figured out why civ 4 added corporations and global warming(even though they were not utilized fully).

Dzupakazul

Arbiter
the modern era looks like such boredom that it won't be worth it.
The idiots still haven't figured out why civ 4 added corporations and global warming(even though they were not utilized fully).
As a lazy Immortal player who tends to get bored about the modern era of Civ since 2, I was bored of it in 4 as well since it's usually the mop-up pace or I have already gotten a winning position by the Industrial age, and most of the tedium related to the modern era (micromanaging production and unit movement in pretty much every turn, massive slowdowns on potato computers, AI incapable of dealing with mass tanks / helicopters / bombardment at all) doesn't really go away. I don't think they ever got it right, the issue mostly stems from that you usually have already won before the modern era rolls around.
And to emphasize that I'm lazy, corporations were pretty much designed to get people away from running State Property as the ultimate end-game civic instead giving you more choice. But since I'm a lazy bastard and they also gave minor buffs to State Property to ensure you do have that late-game choice, I just ended up happily reaping the instant benefits of being a Commie instead of going corporations. The latter choice does get stronger than SP with enough investment, but by that point I probably have a few Cavalry regiments in every major capital in the world.

This is incidentally also why I thought Civ5 had a decent idea for Americans and Germans to no longer tie up their unique unit to an era very few people care about (yeah Navy SEALs and Panzers of IV are strong, but pretty much never end up being the cornerstone of victory in a game where Egypt's bullshit chariots can win before a late game civ's strengths become relevant, and where the first 200~ turns are the most impactful) by giving them the Minutemen and the Landsknecht, which is nice because historically throughout the Civ series a lot of game-winning pushes play out around Renaissance/Industrial when the player suddenly gets a major tech spike that they can utilize better than the AI (massive improvements to the offense stat and mobility, ability to lay railroads). And then in Civ6 you get the Mustang and the U-Boot on either side. For what purpose?

Anyway tl;dr: from a gamist perspective, the modern era has always had design issues in Civ, I always thought it was boring.

Cael

Arcane
The problem with the modern era is that they did away with the paper, scissor, rock of early era units. You basically end up with a horde of the same units. Add to that, the power structure is already basically set by the time the Modern era rolls around. There isn't all that much strategy left in the game. You are already pretty much set in your method of winning the game by then or you have already lost. Modern era in Civ is the end game, and end games tend to be boring.

How many times ahve you played a strategy/tactical game and actually played to the bitter end? I generally restart games like XCom, Civ, Master of Magic and the like once I know I have already won the game. No point in continuing.

Dzupakazul

Arbiter
The problem with the modern era is that they did away with the paper, scissor, rock of early era units.
Even that hardly comes to play in most Civ games when you're on the offensive. In 2/3, your best composition was a mobile, high-attack unit that you could get at a point where it demolished the low defense of the Phalanx, or the AI's best defense unit at the time; the AI has always had problems with waging defensive wars, after all (well, wars in general). In 4, you could make hordes of the same unit with 1-2 specific stack defender (Spearmen or something like that) and just compensate for everything else with Catapults or other suicide siege. The AI just never really is that demanding; its only saving grace at high difficulties is the sheer amount of stuff they're capable of producing and maintaining. You don't need high variety in unit compositions, what usually matters is the timing of your strike and the player's dealing with the initial economic decline that follows the war, until the war acquisitions can bloom again. Only in multiplayer can you really emphasize strats like a full-blown attrition war with Impi or other skirmish unit.

The modern era in 4 actually ended up having great potential when you actually played it against a human player and not the AI, because you get plenty of variants on mobile artillery, mechanized infantry, tanks and so on. The problem is, the only way to have a satisfying modern era game was to play a MP game with an Industrial/Modern Era start preset, as games were usually decided before that. The main problem with the modern era is that it comes at a time where you've usually already won and you're left with a lot of menial bureaucracy - I often automate my workers and force END TURN at that point, because my choice of minor building in a remote colony somewhere far away doesn't really matter - and the only thing that remains is riding it out to see the final score, and only HoF players really play for earliest date / high score.

Cael

Arcane
Even that hardly comes to play in most Civ games when you're on the offensive. In 2/3, your best composition was a mobile, high-attack unit that you could get at a point where it demolished the low defense of the Phalanx, or the AI's best defense unit at the time; the AI has always had problems with waging defensive wars, after all (well, wars in general). In 4, you could make hordes of the same unit with 1-2 specific stack defender (Spearmen or something like that) and just compensate for everything else with Catapults or other suicide siege. The AI just never really is that demanding; its only saving grace at high difficulties is the sheer amount of stuff they're capable of producing and maintaining. You don't need high variety in unit compositions, what usually matters is the timing of your strike and the player's dealing with the initial economic decline that follows the war, until the war acquisitions can bloom again. Only in multiplayer can you really emphasize strats like a full-blown attrition war with Impi or other skirmish unit.

The modern era in 4 actually ended up having great potential when you actually played it against a human player and not the AI, because you get plenty of variants on mobile artillery, mechanized infantry, tanks and so on. The problem is, the only way to have a satisfying modern era game was to play a MP game with an Industrial/Modern Era start preset, as games were usually decided before that. The main problem with the modern era is that it comes at a time where you've usually already won and you're left with a lot of menial bureaucracy - I often automate my workers and force END TURN at that point, because my choice of minor building in a remote colony somewhere far away doesn't really matter - and the only thing that remains is riding it out to see the final score, and only HoF players really play for earliest date / high score.
That is usually when I just restart the game. I am not going to waste time on a game I know I have already won.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom