Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best sports game ever

Mustawd

latest

Would you say that’s better than some of the modern Football Managers?

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Depends what you want- more sim or more game. I just play it from time to time just to fuck around with some broken tactics (like no GK) or nostalgia for the old players. Same with USM 98.

J1M

Arcane
Mario Super Strikers for Gamecube is a great hockey game that looks like a soccer game.

I wish studios would build rpgs around sports games. As a combat resolution mechanism it has some advantages, such as the game continuing if the match is lost.

To clarify: I want arcade sports, not simulation or football manager. The sport could be fictional. Actions outside game day could affect home court advantage, improve stats, Tanya Harding an opposing player, etc.

Last edited:

Comte

Listen fags Out of the Park Baseball 19 is the greatest sports game of all time.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
UFC undisputed franchise for PS3/360. Far superior to what EA did with the UFC license in the last years. The last game from THQ included Pride.

s-l1000.jpg

ufc_undisputed_3_pride_trailer-ds1-670x376-constrain.jpg

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
Oldies but goodies.

RealSports Football (Atari 2600)

One on One: Dr. J vs. Larry Bird (C64)

Countless wasted hours on the football one with friends, along with many broken joysticks.

Zep--

grimace

Arcane
World Class Track meet on NES with Power Pad was a real athletic game.

I never cared for Wii Sports motion controls.

Clink

Educated
Front Page Sports Football Pro 96

76182-front-page-sports-football-pro-96-season-dos-back-cover.jpg

Front Page Sports Football Pro 98

234882-front-page-sports-football-pro-98-windows-other.jpg

Last edited:

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
The last version of SWOS aka Sensible World of Socccer 96/97 for amiga. Eastside Hockey Manager isnt bad either.

ps. Kick Off fans can suck mah dick :D

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Would you say that’s better than some of the modern Football Managers?
FM is more complex and detailed than CM, but the problem is that it consumes your entire life. Haven't touched the series for a few years because I know it could lead to my demise. CM is addictive too, but it's a bit lighter and not as stressful and doesn't occupy your brain every waking moment.

Outside of CM/FM, the most enjoyable football game is still probably PES 5. The one I've played the most is PES 6, though, largely because it toned down some of the exploits of its predecessor. After that the series got severely sidetracked and still hasn't found its way, with PES 2017 being the closest it's got to its glory years.

mck

Cipher
UFC Undisputed 3
Fight Night series
NFL 2k5
NFL Blitz series
NHL Hitz Pro
Redcard 20-03

SniperHF

Arcane
MVP 2005
NHL 2004
NASCAR Sim Racing
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2005
NHL 07 wasn't a great game over all but the skill stick was huge.
Dirt Rally

Not strictly speaking a good game but one I'm fond of similar to how people like NHL Hitz, is NBA Hangtime the old arcade game.

High Heat was great too.

Golden age of baseball games with HH and MVP back to back. I'm partial to the 2003 version myself.

bussinrounds

Augur
Outside of CM/FM, the most enjoyable football game is still probably PES 5. The one I've played the most is PES 6, though, largely because it toned down some of the exploits of its predecessor. After that the series got severely sidetracked and still hasn't found its way, with PES 2017 being the closest it's got to its glory years.
Have you ever tried the PS2 version of 2008 ? It's very different and superior to the crappy PC version. I'd put it ahead of 6 and closer to 5. It does need some global changes to the stats to make it play slower though. (I did a -30 to everyone's speed & acceleration along with some other changes) 5 also benefited from some global adjustments, but not as severe regarding the speed stats.

If you find 5 too easy vs the cpu, you should give it a try. The attacking AI is much improved. A little too good for me in fact, as I lose most of the time. They also have added animations and such.

PES 3 was also really good and I'd put that ahead of 6 also. Defense in 6 is pretty shitty.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom