Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
This is the first time I've watched a trailer on utube at 50% speed.

Some remarks before senility hits and I forget everything:
- The visual style is a departure from Fallout's aesthetics and I honestly don't know how to feel about it. Maybe it's matching the setting. Idk. I don't love it and I don't hate it. It does have a certain Cowboy Beebop vibe.
- The spaceships look absolutely stunning, the worlds seems interesting but the animals are WOW tier garbage. I hope the game will allow some mods because those animals need better textures and models. Pronto.
- There are glitches in the movement of the NPCs which at this point is a trademark for an Obsidian game.
- Certain frames (like the shooting guy) look straight out of F3: NV and the ones with the turrets look like Bioshock.
- Besides the animals, the most infuriating thing were the damage numbers. They are retarded as Borderland was. I hope there is an option to disable them.
- The trailer is not so bad but the editor should be fired. It's bad editing and stupid pauses are not fun. The song is nice though.

Things revealed outside of the trailer: Single Player (no coop, no multiplayer), Unreal Engine 4 (optimized for FPS games), Skills and Perks, Dialogue Trees, Companions and a possibly a Karma system.

There is no doubt that the game will sell like hot cakes. I don't know if it's Divine retribution or not but the game was announced at the right time. Cause right now there are many people disillusioned with F76 and this announcement was simply genius. Look on utube or twitch. People are raving about it. It's ironic and sad and many other things but this game will be a financial success (100%).

However in the end if this game will be great or not really depends on the quality of the narrative. I wanted a turn-based isometric Fallout/Arcanum in space but that will not going to happen therefore I'll take it.

It could be worse. Much worse than this.

Last edited:

Ocelot570

Educated
Looks like borderlands which i didn't think looked that good. Also, the comedy seems like pushed Marvel comedy which can be all right but from what I saw didn't look that funny. But I believe in Cain and Boyarsky.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
The trailer was okay-ish at best, but announcement by pure accident landed at a perfect time of peak frustration at Bethesda by casual gamers. Watching even retarded YouTube commenters mock Todd Howard and celebrate proper dialogue trees is the most joyful moment I've had since dentist prescribed me with opiates after wisdom tooth extraction.

Last edited:

Black

Arcane
image.png

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
This is the first time I've watched a trailer on utube at 50% speed.

Some remarks before senility hits and I forget everything:
- The visual style is a departure from Fallout's aesthetics and I honestly don't know how to feel about it. Maybe it's matching the setting. Idk. I don't love it and I don't hate it. It does have a certain Cowboy Beebop vibe.
- The spaceships looks absolutely stunning, the worlds seems interesting but the animals are WOW tier garbage. I hope the game will allow some mods because those animals need better textures and models. Pronto.
- There are glitches in the movement of the NPCs which at this point is a trademark for an Obsidian game.
- Certain frames (like the shooting guy) look straight out of F3: NV and the ones with the turrets look like Bioshock.
- Besides the animals, the most infuriating thing were the damage numbers. They are retarded as Borderland was. I hope there is an option to disable them.
- The trailer is not so bad but the editor should be fired. It's bad editing and stupid pauses are not fun. The song is nice though.

Things revealed outside of the trailer: Single Player (no coop, no multiplayer), Unreal Engine 4 (optimized for FPS games), Skills and Perks, Dialogue Trees and a possibly a Karma system.

There is no doubt that the game will sell like hot cakes. I don't know if it's Divine retribution or not but the game was announced at the right time. Cause right now there are many people disillusioned with F76 and this announcement was simply genius. Look on utube or twitch. People are raving about it. It's ironic and sad and many other things but this game will be a financial success (100%).

In the end if this game will be great or not really depends on the quality of the narrative. I wanted a turn-based isometric Fallout/Arcanum in space but that will not going to happen therefore I'll take it.

It could be worse. Much worse than this.
They seem to be going after the Borderlands crowd by the looks of it

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
They seem to be going after the Borderlands crowd by the looks of it

Or Fallout 4
Or Bioshock
Or No Man's Sky
Or Mass Effect
Or Beyond Good and Evil 2

Jesus Christ. This is insane :)

None of those you quoted were any good

Or Fallout 4(Shit)
Or Bioshock(Shit, Except Bioshock 1. That was decent)
Or No Man's Sky(Very shit)
Or Mass Effect(Shit. Except for Mass Effect 1)
Or Beyond Good and Evil 2(Will be Woke Ubisoft shit)

So what you're saying is that Obsidian is going after the crowd that enjoys shit games?

Cross

Arcane
It looks like they tried to go for a more stylized aesthetic, but Obsidian's artists weren't up to the task. There's something a bit Uncanny Valley looking about those character models combined with that color palette.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
Looks cool to me.

Special kind of trolling.
Releasing starfield before starfield lol.

Game will live/die on dialogue system quests, checks and so on.

soulburner

Cipher
It's been a while since I played a good first person RPG and this thing looks just like the shit I need.

Now awaiting previews, uncut gameplay footage and a release date!

Curratum

I think it's a little naive to expect the levels of depth people are gearing up for in a game that has this sort of visual style, tone of narrator and humor.

ADL

Prophet
As expected, reaction from the general public was very positive. Bethesda has gathered peak levels of hatred, turning even some of their most loyal zombie-followers against them with Fallout 76.

The stage is set for Obsidian to make a SLAM DUNK (TM) and cement themselves as a big developer again.
Now if only Microsoft hadn't acquired them squashing the pipe dream of receiving a Fallout/TES open world immersive sim competitor with mod support.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Don't care for the setting at all, this looks like the sort of game I've seen ten times before but with slight alterations to it.

If the writing in the POE games is anything to by, I don't have much hope for the dialogue either.

And it's an FPS RPG, the combat is probably going to suck.

ADL

Prophet
Borderlands was a fun game to kill a bit of time. Throw in a proper RPG design and it can be good.

I'll wait for more information but for now we can at least confirm that this isn't some medium-budget effort but a proper AAA RPG.
I believe they've said that it's the largest production they've ever done but it's done under the Take Two Private Division label which is supposed to be mid-range budget-wise where the studio gets to keep the IP.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom