Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I am so happy that i decided to go to sleep instead of watching this....thing. The game looks mostly meh,but it could be good. I liked most of the facial animations,that is why i am hopeful that the dialogue will deliver. The enemy looked like some plastic shit,but who care,nobody plays obsidian games for the combat. The setting looks like the borderlands,fallout4 and red dead were at a bukkake party together. It feel far too cringe and lacks originality and believability. Also i noticed that they are trying to go for the vault boy with this retarded shit:
bPDKnWi.png

It looks really bad.

Still i will wait and see if the game is worth any hope.
I say this guy write the Codex review.

Without playing the game.
Did you just assumed my gender?!
"guy" is gender neutral in English.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
FreeKaner what does the prophecy say about this game. Will it be a dumpsterfire?

The screenshots look good and unique, the trailer is literally borderlands. The prophecies say it will be marginally better fallout 4.

Is this the golden standard we should measure games produced by the codex's sacred cows against, because this feels a little deflating.

It will probably be better than anything Bethesda put out, but Tim Cain and Boyarsky spent too much time not doing anything for anyone to expect VTMB or New Vegas quality.

Also they are both boomers trying to do young adult comedy now. How much late stage capitalism critique can they actually make that's funny anyway?

Quillon

Arcane
Am I the only who isn't surprised by the Borderlands similarity?

Why is it relevant tho? Borderlands is an action game with so few story moments in between all the grinding. I wouldn't care even if they copy it's setting/any other non-rpg games' setting 1:1, as long as its good.

FreeKaner

Am I the only who isn't surprised by the Borderlands similarity?

Why is it relevant tho? Borderlands is an action game with so few story moments in between all the grinding. I wouldn't care if they copy it's setting/any other non-rpg games' setting 1:1, as long as its good.

Borderlands setting is, actually good. The problem with borderlands is it's a singleplayer / co-op modern MMO.

You could make a great RPG in borderlands setting just fine. However while the trailer does look like outerlands, the screenshots look different. The aesthetic doesn't look ramshack and "post-apoc" like borderlands is. It looks more like a frontier.

Terenty

Liturgist
The guys that put ogres and dwarves in a victorian setting were given creative freedom to make whatever they want.And what did they do? They opted for a fallout 4 with plush animals...i am afraid its the definition of senility...or worse, selling out

Last edited:

Curratum

The main thing folks need to wake up to is that this game is not intended for codexers. It's intended for the crowds who thought FO4 was neat but 76 was too broken and who maybe liked the oh-so-quirky humor of Borderlands. The same sort of people who think that seeing a skill check in a dialog window is the next coming of Christ.

Quillon

Arcane
The guys that put ogres and dwarves in a victorian setting were given creative freedom to make whatever they want.And what did they do?

They made Firefly plus their own spin on it.

Also thanks for reminding me there is no magic/fantasy crap in this, would have been such a relief if I'd feared any of those shit to be in this.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I don't like the art, dreamworks-grin multicult characters or the "wacky" humor. Doesn't mean it can't be good but I don't have high expectations.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I didn't have any expectation so I was not disappointed by this trailer or reveal. We knew from before it was going to be a FPS action game made in Unreal engine 4 with more RPG elements than what Bethesda has been shitting out.

What I didn't expect is that western style. It almost looks like a rip off of another game that has been in development for few years and had a "successful" KS:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/287489203/exoplanet-first-contact

They both have the Corporation on the Frontier of space are RUINING settler lives schtick.

FreeKaner

Is it possible to ever to do the combat right in an FPS action RPG? Incorporating the stats into gameplay usually messes something up

If they go for more lethal and fast-paced combat it can work just fine. If they make bullet sponges it will feel like shit.

Incidentally New Vegas combat felt at its best when you used lever-action rifles, shotguns and sniper rifles, where you could kill people in 1 or 2 hits, including deathclaws.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
The guys that put ogres and dwarves in a victorian setting were given creative freedom to make whatever they want.And what did they do? They opted for a fallout 4 with plush animals...i am afraid its the definition of senility...or worse, selling out
It's Tim Cain finally unleashing the full powers of his homosexuality upon all of us.

SpoilVictor

Educated
So Obsidian decided to make their own nuFallout-like game. If it will be more like New Vegas it could be worth something. Alas this space wild west theme isn't looking interesting to me. Also "corporations bad" doesn't seem to be interesting hook either.

FreeKaner

It's Tim Cain finally unleashing the full powers of his homosexuality upon all of us.

State enforced, fully automated luxury gay space sci-fi

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I can understand not liking the aesthetic, although I disagree. But all of this shitting on the idea of a space western? What’s wrong with you people!? Space cowboys are awesome and this kind of setting is underutilized compared to pretty much anything else that would’ve been commercially viable.

The whole frontier becomes company town thing is not merely some critique of late capitalism; it’s exactly what happened all over the American West. They’re not stealing this trope from anywhere except for history.

Anyway, like I said before, this trailer was not for us, but that doesn’t mean the game is not for us. For now, who the hell knows? It’s two minutes of cutscenes. We know nothing new (we’ve long assumed this would be an FPS-RPG) except the setting, a very loose sense of the story, and what the graphics look like.

There’s a PC Gamer piece coming out with more details in less than five hours. Take a deep breath and chill, boyos.

FreeKaner

Rage 2 looked much cooler, but this still doesn't look bad. I loved Skryim when I was 11, but at this point I feel like I've all but completely grown out of these walking simulators (can't play Skyrim/FO:NVfor longer than a few minutes before I want to alt-f4 and do something else). Perhaps I will cave and buy a console to see if I have any love for these kinds of games left in my heart; I doubt it.

Rage trailer looks so boring. It feels like the endless stream of disaster blockbusters from 90s. Outerlands trailer was not good, but rage trailer is basically as generic as it gets.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom