Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RTS Conan Unconquered - Conan RTS by Petroglyph and Funcom

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Wouldn't a Conan RTS just be Bronze Age Total War or Age of Empires 1?

Grimlorn

Arcane
People want a game where they play as Conan exploring most of Hyboria getting into random adventures. Not a MMO, not a RTS, or any of this shit.

No developer can deliver on this though, because none of them can deliver on the open world aspect and write well thought out adventures and quests that will immerse players in the setting. Not to mention a satisfying combat system.

Wunderbar

Arcane
No developer can deliver on this though, because none of them can deliver on the open world aspect and write well thought out adventures and quests that will immerse players in the setting.
i mean, funcom's Secret world had some really great quests. Although, i'm not sure they are capable to replicate this without Ragnar Tornquist.

bylam

Funcom
Developer
People want a game where they play as Conan exploring most of Hyboria getting into random adventures. Not a MMO, not a RTS, or any of this shit.

No developer can deliver on this though, because none of them can deliver on the open world aspect and write well thought out adventures and quests that will immerse players in the setting. Not to mention a satisfying combat system.

There are multiple ways to achieve it, of course, and it depends on budget. I pitched a game called "Hyborian Tales" a few years back which was basically Conan Darklands (this was instead of the Lego game we ended up making). But the business case was pretty weak for management and LEGO were on the hook selling the management up on them being the largest toy brand in the world.

Let's put it this way - I'd love be able to do what Iron Tower Games do - focus on delivering a rock solid RPG with choice and consequences over a long development period.
In reality, what I often have to do is make a game in a short period of time (Conan Exiles was 1 year from concept to Early Access launch) with a certain level of graphical fidelity.

I'm sure people think I am the devil, but I try pretty hard to be true to the lore within the constraints of the games I get to work on.

i mean, funcom's Secret world had some really great quests. Although, i'm not sure they are capable to replicate this without Ragnar Tornquist.

Ragnar wrote cutscenes in TSW - I did the quest design with the team. In fact 90% of the work on quest design was trying to find interesting ways to take the prewritten cutscenes (yes many of them were written before the actual quests) and turn them into good missions. That's not to take away from the great worldbuilding RT did, but he was hands off on the quests.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Ragnar wrote cutscenes in TSW - I did the quest design with the team. In fact 90% of the work on quest design was trying to find interesting ways to take the prewritten cutscenes (yes many of them were written before the actual quests) and turn them into good missions. That's not to take away from the great worldbuilding RT did, but he was hands off on the quests.
:bro:

SpoilVictor

Educated
So what is going on here: take dead IP (Conan lost relevance in mainsteream long ago, and shit games and movie didn't help either) and make it RTS (genre that is dead too). I smell success.

On the side note it would be hilarious if someone make game or movie true to source material and all SJWs would loose their minds:outrage:

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Isn't it in the public domain at this point?

What I remember last time I checked is that the stories are public domain, but the license for producing video games is in the hands of Paradox.
It's weird. Conan the character is copyrighted, but the books are public domain.
Man, I always wonder if it's just me being an illiterate retard, which I am anyway, or if anybody else understands this kind of stuff. How the fuck can anything ever enter the public domain at any moment if a character created by someone who's dead 100 years ago is copyrighted today?

Beastro

Arcane
A Conan RTS is, in fact, a fresh and an intriguing thing. It has a higher chance of being true to the source material than a shitty action game.

True, but we all know what we'd ideally want the most.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
People want a game where they play as Conan exploring most of Hyboria getting into random adventures.
It's not exactly what I want to play though', what I really want to play is an RPG where I create my own party in Conan's world since playing as pregens is boring (in RPGs).
Something in this vein although it's a bad example since you don't create your party from what I've read (I have not played the game yet) :
evilsdoom02.jpg

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
How the fuck can anything ever enter the public domain at any moment if a character created by someone who's dead 100 years ago is copyrighted today?
Basically you can write stories about the Hyborian Age if you like, but woe betide you if you use Conan in it.

bylam what about the rest of Howard's work? When will we see a Breckenridge Elkins mountain man sim or a Steve Costigan adventure?

Oracsbox

Exactly they also want well I want anyway attractive ladies to plough while on said exploration :D (I literally have no life outside gaming).

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Basically you can write stories about the Hyborian Age if you like, but woe betide you if you use Conan in it.
Like forever? Don't copyrights expirate at one point, and in that case why is it different from the books?
And what does the books being in the public domain mean? Does that not mean that you could make some adaptation of the book for example, which couldn't be possible if you can't use the Conan's name?
Also, can you use any Hyborian Age character's name but Conan's one?

mastroego said:
[citation needed]
It's Evil's doom.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Will this be base-building/strategic RTS or "real-time tactics" with limited numbers of units?

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Strategic: https://www.polygon.com/2018/12/8/18132002/conan-unconquered-pc-launch-date-petroglyph-funcom

ConanUnconquered_1.jpg

Conan Unconquered, by C&C’s remaster studio, coming in 2019
Petroglyph, makers of Star Wars: Galaxies at War, is developing the RTS for Funcom

Funcom’s next Conan game is Conan Unconquered, a strategy game being developed Petroglyph Games — which was recently tabbed for the remaster of the RTS classic Command & Conquer series.

A news release from Funcom touted Conan Unconquered as a fast-paced strategy game “where players face wave after wave of enemies in ever-increasing numbers and difficulty.” Players will have to build and fortify their strongholds to withstand “savage hordes,” and they’ll be able to summon gigantic units (see above) to crush their enemies, see them driven before them, and hear the lamentations of their women.

Conan Unconquered will be inspired by Black Colossus, one of the original short stories by Conan’s creator, Robert E. Howard. That was published in 1933 and later adapted in MarvelComics’ classic Savage Sword of Conan magazine and Conan the Barbarian book in the 1970s.

Conan Unconqured will launch on Windows PC sometime between April and June of 2019, Funcom said. The company also developed the MMO Age of Conan, which launched in 2008, and the survival adventure Conan Exiles, which launched in May. Another single-player Conan game is expected to be announced later.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Well, color me surprised. I did not believe they would commit to an RTS. How much sense it makes for risk-averse Funcom to approve a real-time strategy in 2018 is kinda up in the air.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom