Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
I can understand not liking the aesthetic, although I disagree. But all of this shitting on the idea of a space western? What’s wrong with you people!? Space cowboys are awesome and this kind of setting is underutilized compared to pretty much anything else that would’ve been commercially viable.

The whole frontier becomes company town thing is not merely some critique of late capitalism; it’s exactly what happened all over the American West. They’re not stealing this trope from anywhere except for history.

Anyway, like I said before, this trailer was not for us, but that doesn’t mean the game is not for us. For now, who the hell knows? It’s two minutes of cutscenes. We know nothing new (we’ve long assumed this would be an FPS-RPG) except the setting, a very loose sense of the story, and what the graphics look like.

There’s a PC Gamer piece coming out with more details in less than five hours. Take a deep breath and chill, boyos.

After watching the trailer couple of times, it doesn't look that horrible, but I'm suspicious about the writing, from what I've played Eternity 2 and seen let's plays, it'll be written by Joss Whedon fans, "Oh we're so quirky and clever!". I hate Whedon's writing, and I hate low-rent copies of him even more.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
The comedy look and editing aren't doing for me, after watching the trailer the only thing that stuck was the cringe on my face.
Hopefully the game under this bad coat of paint is a good sandbox, so I can avoid B list comedy characters and enjoy the B list writer pulpy sci-fi.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
The whole frontier becomes company town thing is not merely some critique of late capitalism; it’s exactly what happened all over the American West. They’re not stealing this trope from anywhere except for history.

I know, but I am saying if they build their entire humour on late stage capitalism critique, as two boomers, can you expect anything good from it?

Don't get me wrong, I do like space frontiers aesthetic, I liked cowboy bebop and firefly too. However borderlands already kind of capitalised on this sort of setting, now borderlands is more empty spaces and derelict, while outerlands looks a lot more urban focused but what is important is how they go on with narrative design and writing, as well as character progression. If those are good, it will be good, if not then it won't be.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I can understand not liking the aesthetic, although I disagree. But all of this shitting on the idea of a space western? What’s wrong with you people!? Space cowboys are awesome and this kind of setting is underutilized compared to pretty much anything else that would’ve been commercially viable.

Anyway, like I said before, this trailer was not for us, but that doesn’t mean the game is not for us. For now, who the hell knows? It’s two minutes of cutscenes. We know nothing new (we’ve long assumed this would be an FPS-RPG) except the setting, a very loose sense of the story, and what the graphics look like.

There’s a PC Gamer piece coming out with more details in less than five hours. Take a deep breath and chill, boyos.
StarCraft is space cowboys. FreeKaner, stop whining.

However borderlands already kind of capitalised on this sort of setting
I have not played Borderlands and don't know what it is. So, I guess this problem is for some of the people who have played it.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
I have not played Borderlands and don't know what it is. So, I guess this problem is for some of the people who have played it.

I played borderlands 1, it was very novel when it first came out. It's essentially a co-op MMO that's unplayable singleplayer. It's exactly the space frontier aesthetic, it's a lot more corp and camp focused, it has very juvenile humour and the place you are in is very derelict and "post-apoc" with raiders and looters everywhere. It doesn't have any unique architecture or level design to it, and feels exactly like a theme park.

If outerlands is more urban focused, and has a lot more actual towns and cities with worlds that actually feel coherent and consistent instead of that then it can subvert the borderlands with dialogue expectations in some ways.

hexer

FvB15zO.png

Does this mean Sawyer is working on the game too? :hahano:

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
After watching the trailer couple of times, it doesn't look that horrible, but I'm suspicious about the writing, from what I've played Eternity 2 and seen let's plays, it'll be written by Joss Whedon fans, "Oh we're so quirky and clever!". I hate Whedon's writing, and I hate low-rent copies of him even more.

Pretty sure the Deadfire writers were Obsidian’s B team, not their top remaining talent. This game has been in development for a while now.

I know, but I am saying if they build their entire humour on late stage capitalism critique, as two boomers, can you expect anything good from it?

True, but why on earth would we expect them to do that?

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Rage trailer looks so boring. It feels like the endless stream of disaster blockbusters from 90s. Outerlands trailer was not good, but rage trailer is basically as generic as it gets.
The music and visuals in the Rage trailer were much more stimulating than the Outer Worlds one. The music was good and the gameplay did look like some mindless fun. That coupled with the kind of interesting locations that were highlighted was enough to make me want to see more of the game. Also, in what ways was the Outer Worlds trailer more original than the Rage one? They both look extremely generic.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
The same sort of people who think that seeing a skill check in a dialog window is the next coming of Christ.

Dude, games industry has spent past 10-15 years on eradicating every bit of complexity from RPGs. The fact that a console AAA RPG launching in 2019 has an oldschool dialogue system is a god damn miracle.

Turjan

Arcane
The talking heads look like they came straight out of Fallout: New Vegas.

You can expect the game to have a lot of dialogue since they put them in the trailer.

84BYE5X.jpg

mi3RxfJ.jpg

1E7MOcT.jpg

mTilYSl.jpg

ivSLApX.jpg

I guess these are supposed to be different facial expressions, but they all look more or less the same. I guess you could spin it as "consistent art style".

Whatever. The game looks at least interesting, even if it trots on familiar pathways. Of course, catering to that many references necessarily means I don't really know what the game will actually be like in the end. Let's see how they managed to tie everything together.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
The talking heads look like they came straight out of Fallout: New Vegas.

You can expect the game to have a lot of dialogue since they put them in the trailer.

I guess these are supposed to be different facial expressions, but they all look more or less the same. I guess you could spin it as "consistent art style".

Whatever. The game looks at least interesting, even if it trots on familiar pathways. Of course, catering to that many references necessarily means I don't really know what the game will actually be like in the end. Let's see how they managed to tie everything together.

I would assume they are important characters and/or companions, not a showcase of facial expressions.

SpoilVictor

Educated
From Steam store page:

The Outer Worlds is a new single-player first-person sci-fi RPG from Obsidian Entertainment and Private Division.

In The Outer Worlds, you awake from hibernation on a colonist ship that was lost in transit to Halcyon, the furthest colony from Earth located at the edge of the galaxy, only to find yourself in the midst of a deep conspiracy threatening to destroy it. As you explore the furthest reaches of space and encounter various factions, all vying for power, the character you decide to become will determine how this player-driven story unfolds. In the corporate equation for the colony, you are the unplanned variable.

Key Features

• The player-driven story RPG: In keeping with the Obsidian tradition, how you approach The Outer Worlds is up to you. Your choices affect not only the way the story develops; but your character build, companion stories, and end game scenarios.
  • You can be flawed, in a good way: New to The Outer Worlds is the idea of flaws. A compelling hero is made by the flaws they carry with them. While playing The Outer Worlds, the game tracks your experience to find what you aren't particularly good at. Keep getting attacked by Raptidons? Taking the Raptiphobia flaw gives you a debuff when confronting the vicious creatures, but rewards you with an additional character perk immediately. This optional approach to the game helps you build the character you want while exploring Halcyon.
  • Lead your companions: During your journey through the furthest colony, you will meet a host of characters who will want to join your crew. Armed with unique abilities, these companions all have their own missions, motivations, and ideals. It's up to you to help them achieve their goals, or turn them to your own ends.
  • Explore the corporate colony: Halcyon is a colony at the edge of the galaxy owned and operated by a corporate board. They control everything... except for the alien monsters left behind when the terraforming of the colony’s two planets didn’t exactly go according to plan. Find your ship, build your crew, and explore the settlements, space stations, and other intriguing locations throughout Halcyon.

It would be an insanity to expect this game to be Messiah of RPG, personally I will settle for "good enough".

hexer

From Steam store page:

The Outer Worlds is a new single-player first-person sci-fi RPG from Obsidian Entertainment and Private Division.

In The Outer Worlds, you awake from hibernation on a colonist ship that was lost in transit to Halcyon, the furthest colony from Earth located at the edge of the galaxy, only to find yourself in the midst of a deep conspiracy threatening to destroy it. As you explore the furthest reaches of space and encounter various factions, all vying for power, the character you decide to become will determine how this player-driven story unfolds. In the corporate equation for the colony, you are the unplanned variable.

Key Features

• The player-driven story RPG: In keeping with the Obsidian tradition, how you approach The Outer Worlds is up to you. Your choices affect not only the way the story develops; but your character build, companion stories, and end game scenarios.
  • You can be flawed, in a good way: New to The Outer Worlds is the idea of flaws. A compelling hero is made by the flaws they carry with them. While playing The Outer Worlds, the game tracks your experience to find what you aren't particularly good at. Keep getting attacked by Raptidons? Taking the Raptiphobia flaw gives you a debuff when confronting the vicious creatures, but rewards you with an additional character perk immediately. This optional approach to the game helps you build the character you want while exploring Halcyon.
  • Lead your companions: During your journey through the furthest colony, you will meet a host of characters who will want to join your crew. Armed with unique abilities, these companions all have their own missions, motivations, and ideals. It's up to you to help them achieve their goals, or turn them to your own ends.
  • Explore the corporate colony: Halcyon is a colony at the edge of the galaxy owned and operated by a corporate board. They control everything... except for the alien monsters left behind when the terraforming of the colony’s two planets didn’t exactly go according to plan. Find your ship, build your crew, and explore the settlements, space stations, and other intriguing locations throughout Halcyon.

It would be an insanity to expect this game to be Messiah of RPG, personally I will settle for "good enough".

Sounds content heavy!
After Pathfinder I'm already psychically prepared for any bugs they throw my way!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Observation: While the late 19th/early 20th century influence is present, it's not as blatant as the pre-anouncement images would have led you to expect.

In that respect, the game is similar to the original Fallout, which never went all that hard on the 1950s stuff.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom