Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
No Man's Sky comparisions are retarded. It's a game that procedurally generates countless thousands of various planetary environments, no shit a few of them are going to be similar to Outer Worlds and every other space game ever made.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Not sure about the art style, but everything else is more or less what I expected from the game.

lophiaspis

Arbiter
I like it. Art style is basically the same as Bloodline's; stat checks in dialogue; retro-futuristic sci fi is still a relatively fresh setting. It could be end up being as good as VtMB, which is, what, 10th in the codex's top 70?

VTMB was carried by its writing and characters, with almost every character being unique and memorable. If that small snippet is representative then the writing in this game will be bland if not mediocre. And the character models in Bloodlines looked far better with tons of personality. If Bloodlines was T2/True Lies then this looks to be Cainarsky's Avatar.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
the wave is bigger than i thought. a screenshot featuring dialogue choices are upvoted more than 3000 times. the dialogue wheel really wasn't popular, and reddit is as casual as it gets barring the fornite crowds.

in other words, get fucked bethesda. hope boyarscain works their magic, sell a million copies, and got blank check for their next games.

turkishronin

Arcane
the wave is bigger than i thought. a screenshot featuring dialogue choices are upvoted more than 3000 times. the dialogue wheel really wasn't popular, and reddit is as casual as it gets barring the fornite crowds.

in other words, get fucked bethesda. hope boyarscain works their magic, sell a million copies, and got blank check for their next games.

how dare you have hope

Meanwhile,

dWdFIi6.png
Hang the fuck on

1465573672195.jpg

See the resemblance. It all makes sense now. Bethesda is getting fucked by Big Dick Fergus and his magic money tree.

The Real Fanboy
Outer Worlds style is soooo snatched, sis! Can't wait to save the galaxy from evil corporations by melting them with my cute laser pistol in my unif frontier sci fi lewk!

And reading the steam page companions can join your crew!(hopefully there is some good romance drama, I loved in Horizon Zero Dawn when the Sun King tries to hit on you and you can clap back and shut him down!!!)

❤️❤️❤️ that so many new people are finding out and falling in love with Obsidian (btw monster hunter world winning best rpg over deadfire, like reaally sis. whatever)

ok time to read this thread since i missed all the drama by sleeping!

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Instead of making analogies to other games, I'd say it's basically Fallout universe where nuclear war didn't happen and humanity ventured to other planets with all its 1950s style.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
The is nothing post apocalyptic hinted about the setting, nor retro futuristic beyond some ingame adverts while knowing how PR works in our own world and our fondness for retro shit, is not surprising in a future setting.

The only thing in common with fallout are some of the people working on it, its not TB, its not isometric, it doesnt have SPECIAL or VAT's analogues systems as far as we know... what the fuck are you guys going on about? Same could be said with comparisons to bioshock or borderlands, it has shit all to do with both beyond being an FPS.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So, now that we know that the game is first-person and single-player, here's the next important question.

Did Obsidian implement Gamebryo-style physics in the Unreal engine, where you can pick up and move around anything, like in Bethesda RPGs? My bet is that they didn't, but I'd love to be surprised.

moon knight

Matt7895's alt
Some ideas to throw around:
Companions are nice, but isn't it time to add the ability to swap control to your companion?
At the very least that will allow players to experience a different playstyle without rerolling.

Not a bad idea. A sort of party based RPG full 3D?

They could also take some hint from Baldur's Gate, Dragon Age Origins or even their own KOTOR 2 for what concerns the interactivity with the companions and between them. Arguing with each other on decisions they agree and don't agree with, etc... So that it gives more "life" to the group of people the is part of your travels.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom