Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

Serpent in the Staglands Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Literally no one thinks the game doesn't have bugs.

However, it's bugginess has been overstated and become a meme, so whenever someone corrects that assumption they are labelled a fanboy with some sarcastic strawman.

kinzadza

Scholar
Honestly I think the game's quality falls off a cliff after chapter three (the one with Vordaki's Tomb). Chapters 4 - 6 feel tiny and truncated compared to the ton of maps and quests plus how well the story flows and connects in the first three chapters.

Chapters 1-3: game at its peak, moderately buggy
Chapters 4-5: mediocre and extremely buggy
Chapters 6-7: broken garbage

Unfortunately this is common in the industry

Stop it dude. Little princesses have grown up with the idea of Unicorns, Santa Claus and that only Obsidian games have bugs.

Don't break the dream.

I am pretty sure santa claus didnt have you in his list.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
I love all the triggered hipsters/covert russian devs who claim they have played like 200 hours and never encountered any bugs... Yeah, it is our systems folks, those changelogs which are a book long just a month or two after release are just our imagination... The devs keep fixing imaginary bugs...

Elex

Arbiter
Literally no one thinks the game doesn't have bugs.

However, it's bugginess has been overstated and become a meme, so whenever someone corrects that assumption they are labelled a fanboy with some sarcastic strawman.
50% of the stuff are simply “the game don’t explain me this so i think is a bug”.

“my charisma 7 sorc can’t cast spell”

“i’m stuck at chapter one!!!! game is trash!! bug bug!!!”
“you killed tartuccio in old sycamore dungeon?”
“there is a dungeon in old sycamore?”

Israfael

Arcane
Most of the time people simply don't read the quest descriptions in-dialogue (it's actually a valid criticism of the game - Linzi's journal is incredibly vague and short on details, like all typical journalistic pieces of work) or even descriptions in the journal, and get stuck because of that. This game actually forced me to remember that and write some things down (like the puzzle with candles)

ArchAngel

Arcane
I love all the triggered hipsters/covert russian devs who claim they have played like 200 hours and never encountered any bugs... Yeah, it is our systems folks, those changelogs which are a book long just a month or two after release are just our imagination... The devs keep fixing imaginary bugs...
I ran into plenty of bugs, I just never had any crashes. Reports of crashes has been very absent from this game, at least they made it run stable. So if it really does crash often for someone, that is the fault of that person's computer 99%

Reinhardt

Arcane
Go play fallout 76, Todd.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
People are getting the perspectives mixed up. E.g.
King Arthur the Roleplaying Wargame: Worth a positive review. Had (apparently) a memory leak that cused the game to crash after a few battles. Could be limited with third party fix. Developers were cunts for not fixing it, which means I'll be wary of buying one of their games again - but the game was "playable" and overall an incline.

King Arthur the Roleplaying Wargame 2: Worth a negative review. Had a game-breaking bug that the devlopers didn't fix, unfinished, unpolished, glitchy mess that they never patched. Fooled me twice, so now I'll never buy one of their games again.

Betheda games. Ships with bugs, glitchy, unfinished, unpolished mess: every dumb cunt buys it anyway and in some cases even defend Todd Howard when he does a presentation and makes fun of people who: "Just expect the game to work". Anyone with a working brain waits until it's on sale, and modders have fixed it.

Pathfinder Kingmaker: Ships with more bugs than low-pay workers at Amazon infect your Christmas delivery with; but they started fixing it right away. Anyone who has been playing games for over 20 years knows this has yet to change - it becomes a problem if the developer doesn't patch the game. If you have no job, no partner to fuck, no kids to take care of or property to manage, etc, and live from one game to the next - it may be a huge issue for you to wait the months it takes them to rough it out. But the game is playable, and of a great incline.

There's no fanboyism here. I was a bit of a fanboy for InXile and Obsidian and gold-backed x3 of their games. Yet none of those games advanced the traditional RPG as Owlcat have done. So I think they're worth supporting.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
These days I find the best tactic is usually to give RPG releases a month or two after release before playing.

It usually gives time for the worst issues to be mopped up.

Incendax

Augur
My funniest bug was getting a new animal companion every time I leveled up. They could die, but just came back whenever I changed maps or loaded the game, so I had a small army of bears.

My most insulting bug was the slavers never triggering, so I couldn’t get Octavia or Regongar.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
Pathfinder Kingmaker: Ships with more bugs than low-pay workers at Amazon infect your Christmas delivery with; but they started fixing it right away. Anyone who has been playing games for over 20 years knows this has yet to change - it becomes a problem if the developer doesn't patch the game. If you have no job, no partner to fuck, no kids to take care of or property to manage, etc, and live from one game to the next - it may be a huge issue for you to wait the months it takes them to rough it out. But the game is playable, and of a great incline.

You're at least as dumb a cunt as people who defend Bethesda.

No one expects nothing to be broken about a game, but Kingmaker's release was way rushed. That they continue to fix shit means I'd buy more of their games because Kingmaker is indeed fine work, but OTOH, they also want to continue to sell shit that has to do with it in 2019 so fixing stuff that is broken is in their own interest.

While I do expect bugs, I also expect games to be more polished than Kingmaker was on release. What they have going in their favour is that there's been nothing since TOEE that rivals it.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
My funniest bug was getting a new animal companion every time I leveled up. They could die, but just came back whenever I changed maps or loaded the game, so I had a small army of bears.

My most insulting bug was the slavers never triggering, so I couldn’t get Octavia or Regongar.
Who the fuck would be stupid enough to attack a small army of bears?

I had a bug where the human cleric would just disappear in a particular dungeon.
I guess that when he dies he is supposed to be abducted/raptured by his deity. But this shit would happen when the dwarf cleric got KO'd, the other guy would just disappear.

Oh, and in one of the the maps when checking the minimap I would see the corpses of my party in a random corner. Morbid shit.

Last edited:

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Most of the time people simply don't read the quest descriptions in-dialogue (it's actually a valid criticism of the game - Linzi's journal is incredibly vague and short on details, like all typical journalistic pieces of work) or even descriptions in the journal, and get stuck because of that. This game actually forced me to remember that and write some things down (like the puzzle with candles)
It infuriates me to no end that the journal entries are not organized chronologically. There's a poor (possibly updated) description on top, and then that is followed by the last update/entry, and *then* follows a chronological order of the updates/entries.

It's a fucking mess.

Cael

Arcane

Who the fuck would be stupid enough to attack a small army of bears?
Putin. He needs subjects for his war bear experiment. They all bear collars...

Chippy

Arcane
Patron

I'll just wait for the Codex to give me the appropriate tags then...

No one expects nothing to be broken about a game, but Kingmaker's release was way rushed. That they continue to fix shit means I'd buy more of their games because Kingmaker is indeed fine work, but OTOH, they also want to continue to sell shit that has to do with it in 2019 so fixing stuff that is broken is in their own interest.

While I do expect bugs, I also expect games to be more polished than Kingmaker was on release. What they have going in their favour is that there's been nothing since TOEE that rivals it.

Remember how buggy VTMB was on release? Like I said, it's a matter of perspective and whether a developer has talent and supports their game vs developers with/without talent who don't either through greed (like prioritizing DLC) or publisher shenanigans.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck

I'll just wait for the Codex to give me the appropriate tags then...

but they only give them to non-retards

Remember how buggy VTMB was on release? Like I said, it's a matter of perspective and whether a developer has talent and supports their game vs developers with/without talent who don't either through greed (like prioritizing DLC) or publisher shenanigans.

It was the last game they shoved out the door so no matter if you hated them for it, it was irrelevant.

Also I think you could say at this point that they prioritized the upcoming DLC over fixing bugs. It's possible that the DLC will release with lots of fixes to the base game, indeed they seem to have pushed back the release of the promised patch to coincide with the DLC, but there's a good chance they could have fixed more bugs if they hadn't been working on the DLC at the same time. Like I said, I'm glad there's talent like Owlcat in the field building quality games, but a rushed kickstarter release that you've already paid for just isn't a good thing.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
It infuriates me to no end that the journal entries are not organized chronologically. There's a poor (possibly updated) description on top, and then that is followed by the last update/entry, and *then* follows a chronological order of the updates/entries.

It's a fucking mess.

Most of the time the shit Linzi writes also doesn't help you find the necessary people or locations, so...

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Sacred82
So you think they're a tarnished company in the vein of Neocore Games because the upcoming DLC hasn't made the game the best it can be? I haven't completed it yet, but is it a completable game? Or do people think that the ending chapters break the game somehow because of poor design decisions?. AFAIK it isn't broken beyond all patching forevermore.

As I said - anyone who's been playing games for a decade or more give a developers 6 months or so after release before taking the game seriously. If it's a talented company, you support them right away, and usually play it later. Kickstarter is just a mess of pre-ordering and good will. Once the good will is gone (yes it isn't a good thing) but surely that good will can be earned again once the developer patches the game within an acceptable grace period.

I was a pansy for waiting 3 years before I played POE and then realising no amount of patching would make it fun - so I've written Obsidian off. You seem to want to give Owlcat a bad rep for pushing the game out the door for releasing the game in the state it was in, but at least give them the grace period that other devlopers have had - until Christmas at least.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
Sacred82
So you think they're a tarnished company in the vein of Neocore Games because the upcoming DLC hasn't made the game the best it can be?

learn2read, I never said they're a tarnished company and I will continue to buy their products. However this kind of release is -1 sympathy point. Rack up too many of those and I won't buy anything anymore, let alone kickstart. They might be in business for a long time still.

Kickstarter is just a mess of pre-ordering and good will. Once the good will is gone (yes it isn't a good thing) but surely that good will can be earned again once the developer patches the game within an acceptable grace period.

Just what I said. However if they introduce more broken things/ tardy on fixing old bugs, this might drag on well into 2019. What people call acceptable may differ.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Sacred82
So you think they're a tarnished company in the vein of Neocore Games because the upcoming DLC hasn't made the game the best it can be? I haven't completed it yet, but is it a completable game? Or do people think that the ending chapters break the game somehow because of poor design decisions?. AFAIK it isn't broken beyond all patching forevermore.

As I said - anyone who's been playing games for a decade or more give a developers 6 months or so after release before taking the game seriously. If it's a talented company, you support them right away, and usually play it later. Kickstarter is just a mess of pre-ordering and good will. Once the good will is gone (yes it isn't a good thing) but surely that good will can be earned again once the developer patches the game within an acceptable grace period.

I was a pansy for waiting 3 years before I played POE and then realising no amount of patching would make it fun - so I've written Obsidian off. You seem to want to give Owlcat a bad rep for pushing the game out the door for releasing the game in the state it was in, but at least give them the grace period that other devlopers have had - until Christmas at least.

The thing is, even without bugs, Kingmaker is not that great either. Again, take what i say with a pinch of salt, because i haven't completed the game yet, but from what i have read/watched until now the game does not appear to be anything more than a mediocre BG clone.

It is very hypocritical of you, and others like you, to pretend PoE wasn't fun but somehow Kingmaker is... If anything, Kingmaker is less fun because it does not work like a modern video game, it has no QoL improvements one would expect in 2018.

Seriously, there is a ton of hypocricy on the codex regarding the PoE vs Kingmaker situation. I might begin to like Kingmaker when it gets patched, but that will happen because i liked PoE as well. Pretending one is game is garbage while a very similar game is God's gift to mankind, is a sign of either hypocricy, or mental disorder...

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Sacred82
So you think they're a tarnished company in the vein of Neocore Games because the upcoming DLC hasn't made the game the best it can be?

learn2read, I never said they're a tarnished company and I will continue to buy their products. However this kind of release is -1 sympathy point. Rack up too many of those and I won't buy anything anymore, let alone kickstart. They might be in business for a long time still.

Kickstarter is just a mess of pre-ordering and good will. Once the good will is gone (yes it isn't a good thing) but surely that good will can be earned again once the developer patches the game within an acceptable grace period.

Just what I said. However if they introduce more broken things/ tardy on fixing old bugs, this might drag on well into 2019. What people call acceptable may differ.

"However this kind of release is -1 sympathy point." So you'll do what I did with King Arthur the Rolplaying wargame then.

"What people call acceptable may differ". Yep - like I said, it's a matter of perspective.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Sacred82

The thing is, even without bugs, Kingmaker is not that great either. Again, take what i say with a pinch of salt, because i haven't completed the game yet, but from what i have read/watched until now the game does not appear to be anything more than a mediocre BG clone.

It is very hypocritical of you, and others like you, to pretend PoE wasn't fun but somehow Kingmaker is... If anything, Kingmaker is less fun because it does not work like a modern video game, it has no QoL improvements one would expect in 2018.

Seriously, there is a ton of hypocricy on the codex regarding the PoE vs Kingmaker situation. I might begin to like Kingmaker when it gets patched, but that will happen because i liked PoE as well. Pretending one is game is garbage while a very similar game is God's gift to mankind, is a sign of either hypocricy, or mental disorder...

Yes lets start talking about what we all find to be fun. I'm talking about giving developers a grace period to prove their competence matches their talent before writing them off. I gave POE 3 years, and Sawyer still couldn't decide if he got the rules right. Lets give Owlcat the grace period to fix the bugs.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
"However this kind of release is -1 sympathy point." So you'll do what I did with King Arthur the Rolplaying wargame then.

Nop. Learn2read again. This being their first product, and them continuing to support it, is no reason for me to be "wary" of buying more of their stuff. However, second time burnt... that would be the case.

Also, buying is one matter, kickstarting is another.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron

Nop. Learn2read again. This being their first product, and them continuing to support it, is no reason for me to be "wary" of buying more of their stuff. However, second time burnt... that would be the case.

Also, buying is one matter, kickstarting is another.

Yes that's exactly what I said in my earlier post from Neocore's first game to their second. Except for the fact that apparently you're complaining about the state PK is is in, but it "doesn't make you wary of buying more of their stuff". Maybe I do need to Learn2read. I'll just go and sight up for a course in Dumbfuck! logic and reasoning skills and leave it at that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom