Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

conan_edw

Arbiter
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
There's literally no 50s style here.

The spaceships certainly look so

EDIT: Looking at the spaceship interior it really look to have some personality. I don't what appears to be wrong. Maybe the color plates or lightening don't convey that sense? I really don't know

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The game's style is overall more early 20th century than 1950s, I think.

But in fact it's mostly not either of those - the retro stuff is just a light stylistic influence as far as I can tell.

Last edited:

Wunderbar

Arcane
So, now that we know that the game is first-person and single-player, here's the next important question.
Did Obsidian implement Gamebryo-style physics in the Unreal engine, where you can pick up and move around anything, like in Bethesda RPGs? My bet is that they didn't, but I'd love to be surprised.
i don't think this game will be like Bethesda-style games, mostly because of this small immersive things that Bethesda is able to do with their engine. Personally, i don't care about being able to physically interact with every piece of junk nearby, but that kind of things still differentiate them from other open world developers.

Black Angel

Arcane

Why does the faces has to look like:prosper:? I expected something along the lines of VtMB quality at least. Is it because of the lighting or their overall design?

tow-byzantium-cityscape-001.jpg
tow-roseway-combat-004.jpg
tow-playership-cockpit-001.jpg
tow-roseway-combat-003.jpg
Can't help but get a mix of Borderlands, Bioshock: Infinite, and (unfortunately) Fallout 4 vibes here :negative: Need to see gameplay, UIs, and character sheet to say more.

WELCOME TO
THE FUTURE

TRY NOT TO BREAK IT
The Outer Worlds is a new single-player first-person sci-fi RPG from Obsidian Entertainment and Private Division. Lost in transit while on a colonist ship bound for the furthest edge of the galaxy, you awake decades later only to find yourself in the midst of a deep conspiracy threatening to destroy the Halcyon colony. As you explore the furthest reaches of space and encounter various factions, all vying for power, the character you decide to become will determine how this player-driven story unfolds. In the corporate equation for the colony, you are the unplanned variable.
Why do they have to spill the beans right in the bloody description just like that?

Thonius

Arcane
Haha! What a trash! 2000s called they want their Borderlands back! Haha, as I expected nothing good can come out of old tired grandpops. They could not even make graphics feel like something original (victorian style) and went full on generic sci-fi. Lameeeee!
Biggest fanboys make a biggest haters....also so diverse! Much struggle!

hexer

WELCOME TO
THE FUTURE

TRY NOT TO BREAK IT
The Outer Worlds is a new single-player first-person sci-fi RPG from Obsidian Entertainment and Private Division. Lost in transit while on a colonist ship bound for the furthest edge of the galaxy, you awake decades later only to find yourself in the midst of a deep conspiracy threatening to destroy the Halcyon colony. As you explore the furthest reaches of space and encounter various factions, all vying for power, the character you decide to become will determine how this player-driven story unfolds. In the corporate equation for the colony, you are the unplanned variable.
Why do they have to spill the beans right in the bloody description just like that?

It could be there to mislead us.
If not, their marketing is stupid!

We live in a world where Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarski announce a new game with funding from major publishers and our first reaction is suspicion and skeptisism. Imagine if this same announcement happened in 2010? Or 2005? What gumpy fucks have we become?

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Fucking hell, the views on YouTube have almost doubled in 2 hours. By the end of the day it's definitely gonna be their most popular video on the channel. \

You gotta wonder if Feargus regrets selling before the announcement :lol:

hexer

Take Two proudly presents: Obsidian's Bioshock Infinite 2

The game looks too light-hearted for that.
Bioshock Infinite, especially with the DLCs, was a fucking dark game set in a Disneyland setting.
I kinda wish they went that way with it but it seems it will lean more on the bright, humorous side.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
I like the facial expressions and lip synch. Somehow some games still do it terribly, when even Bloodlines managed quite well years back.

There are only 2 games in existence that manage good facial animations, Bloodlines and LA Noire.

Outer Worlds look however a level lower than those two in this aspect.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom