Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Obsidian's new game is The Outer Worlds, a first-person sci-fi RPG set on a corporate space colony

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
I think some people have just seriously overdosed on Joss Whedon-style antics.

Me, I've watched three space movies that are like that. Guardians of the Galaxy 1 & 2, Thor Ragnarok. And like, I don't know, three isn't a big number. I can take a bit more of that. I'm not tired of it yet. That's just me though.
MCU is the exact major cancer of modern (pop) culture, with the astronomical budgets to shove it down everyone's throat...

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
My main questions about the game:

• Will player controlled space flight be a thing or will the player ship be more akin to KOTOR, to travel from location to location with a mini-game associated with it at most?
  • Will the map encompass the entire star system or just the main planet with a few off world locations?
  • Will it be open world or be a series of maps, and how big will they/it be?
  • How large will be the player party? one or two companions as the 3D fallouts?
  • What type of character stats and skill system are they using, will the shooting be real time skill based or stat derived?
  • Randomized loot or handcrafted?
  • Extensive weapon customization?
  • Will it be level scaled?

Those are some really fucking stupid questions, fam. None of them have any bearing on whether it'll be shit or not.

Whats actually stupid is thinking he asked those to figure out whether it will be shit or not, and then strawmaning it in as if he said anything about it, dipshit.

As for the questions, seeing what type of the game it is Kemosabe i think its pretty certain all of those can be answered with worse versions of the answers.

>will the shooting be real time skill based or stat derived?

Its a fucking first person shooter.
Any stats will only have a secondary or tertiary influence, if at all, which is always shit in execution.

/
I wish it was a cool story Trash, i wish. Alas.

Kem0sabe

Arcane

Me, I've watched three space movies that are like that. Guardians of the Galaxy 1 & 2, Thor Ragnarok. And like, I don't know, three isn't a big number. I can take a bit more of that. I'm not tired of it yet. That's just me though.

Comedy is very hard to translate into game form, especially an rpg without a fixed character and with dialogue choices. No game has managed it, and i very much doubt this will.

You need a funny personality to the main character in order to have a funny game. Guardians had Quill, Thor had... Thor, Firefly had Reynolds, larger than life leading men from which the other characters and situations could play off of. If your character is a blank slate, then it will have the personality of a blank slate and the humor of a rock, as those idiots at Larian have strived to show us more than once

Prime Junta

Okay I guess. I haven't seen any of them, I rarely watch American movies these days, they're just too stupid for my blood. (And the only superhero movie I've seen is Batman from 1989. I didn't like it.)

Van-d-all

Erudite
This is a Cainarsky game.

IKR. That's why I feel PTSDed already. Boyarsky was pretty much my last bastion of hope.

If a teaser video is enough to give you PTSD, you do need professional help. What exactly were you expecting?

It's an exaggeration obviously, but I'm a rather aesthetically oriented person, and for that exact reason of all the major developers I held Boyarsky in a very high regard. I hoped for a true gem, although expected a lot less, but at least something on the level of Prey. What I got, is an utterly unoriginal mashup of things already overused targeted for dopamine deficient retards with attention spans of golden fish, that need to be jolted with explosions, gags and flashy bright colors every 5 minutes.

Prime Junta

Comedy is very hard to translate into game form, especially an rpg without a fixed character and with dialogue choices. No game has managed it, and i very much doubt this will.

Which games have you even played? Fallout 1, 2, and NV all had major comedic elements. South Park: Stick of Truth was all comedy. VtM: Bloodlines was almost all comedy. Even BG2 had Minsc FFS!

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Well as long as you don't watch just movies for children but also some adult fare, right?

Right?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Okay I guess. I haven't seen any of them, I rarely watch American movies these days, they're just too stupid for my blood. (And the only superhero movie I've seen is Batman from 1989. I didn't like it.)

It was very enlightening for me as a gamer to watch Guardians of the Galaxy. It's a movie that explains a lot of gaming trends of the past few years. Really brought back colorful/wacky sci-fi in a way that Star Wars failed to. I think you don't see things like eg, the resurrection of Beyond Good & Evil 2 without it.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

Which games have you even played? Fallout 1, 2, and NV all had major comedic elements. South Park: Stick of Truth was all comedy. VtM: Bloodlines was almost all comedy. Even BG2 had Minsc FFS!

I always loved the voice acting and facial expressions in Bloodlines. It turned quite a few chuckle-worthy lines into full blown laugh out loud moments.

Van-d-all

Erudite

It was very enlightening for me as a gamer to watch Guardians of the Galaxy. It's a movie that explains a lot of gaming trends of the past few years. Really brought back colorful/wacky sci-fi in a way that Star Wars failed to. I think you don't see things like eg, the resurrection of Beyond Good & Evil 2 without it.
I'd rather go for Watchmen, it proved super hero movies needn't suck, but whatever.

Kem0sabe

Arcane

Having comedic elements is one thing, having that comedy actually be funny is another completely different thing. All of those game have low effort comedy... also Minsc as an example? :roll:

Prime Junta

Having comedic elements is one thing, having that comedy actually be funny is another completely different thing. All of those game have low effort comedy... also Minsc as an example? :roll:

Dude, if VtM:B counts as low-effort comedy for you, then you don't know what comedy is.

Delterius

Arcane
1ppj4mS.png

FeelTheRads

Arcane
also, not grimdark is :incline: at this point

Grimdark? In these days and age? Where? has Stalker 2 been released?

I don't really get the whining about grimdark either. The rainbow-colored, low-poly, WOW/mobile shit seems way more prevalent and obnoxious.
And honestly this is kinda like a higher-poly version of that style.

But just like all communists, Prime Junta is way behind. You could even call him retarded.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
...I see the stars come out tonight, I see the bright and hollow sky, over the city's ripped-back sky and everything looks good tonight...

Looks like budget nu-Fallout, pass.

Drowed

Arcane
I will not lie, I'm not very optimistic about the Obsidian games after POE2, despite the relatively positive reception of it from Codex, but... A new 'New Vegas' would be interesting. The trailer gives me a light touch of hope, but not that much.

ciox

Liturgist
I'm still a little curious about the rpg design but it looks exactly like I said it would, some insanely predictable mashup of Fallout 3 and Horizon Zero Dawn. And some guy just rated me edgy now for calling it a year ago. :lol:

WE'RE IN A BRAND NEW GAME, MORTY! THIS IS CRAZY, WE DON'T HAVE TO USE GAMEBRYO ANYMORE, MORTY, BUT EVERYTHING STILL LOOKS AND PLAYS THE SAME ANYWAY! I TURNED MYSELF INTO A PIIIIIIIIIIIIICKLE.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
I will not lie, I'm not very optimistic about the Obsidian games after POE2, despite the relatively positive reception of it from Codex, but... A new 'New Vegas' would be interesting. The trailer gives me a light touch of hope, but not that much.

I don't think the status of dumpsterfire has any bearing on this game whatsoever. PoE is them trying to do IE and not understanding what made IE games good, with Sawyer's autistic system design just making it boring to play as well. Even then, Tyranny was ok.

This project depends on Tim Cain and Boyarsky, and if they still have their game.

himmy

Arcane
RPGCodex: PoE was so bland and generic, we just want something with a bit of personality.

Also RPGCodex: Whoa, there, buddy-boy, I sure hope this game isn't going to have too much of a personality, like jokes or more than four colours.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom