Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Obsidian's new game is The Outer Worlds, a first-person sci-fi RPG set on a corporate space colony

nihil

Augur
Project: Eternity
  • What type of character stats and skill system are they using, will the shooting be real time skill based or stat derived?

Skill based with in-game skills affecting non-player-controlled things like recoil, going by the talk Tim Cain did last year.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Looks like Fallout 4. Except by Obsidian. So... Fallout New Vegas 2. :incline:

Gonna have to see gameplay of some form to see how it's gonna shape up though.

Epsilon

Cipher
I hope this game does extremely well, even if it means having to allow for some mainstream design decisions. Bethesda needs a kicking by competent designers, I know Cain and Boyarsky can be those designers. Question is if other people like Chris Parker have messed with the design.
That said, this was definitely the highlight of TGA.

tindrli

Arcane
for some reason for me it has BORDERLANDS all over.. and im kind of tired of first person Fallout.

Frusciante

Cipher
Project: Eternity
My first feeling was a bit meh, but watching the trailer again and reading that text at the far end made me start to feel more positive about it. Not a hardcore RPG but could be a fun game in an interesting setting with hopefully good story and exploration.

Benthran

Novice
1ppj4mS.png
:slamdunk:

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
The bad: This looks like a Bethesda game.

The good: Obisidian occasionally make good games.

The downright fucking HILARIOUS: This is easily going to be Obsidian doing Bethesda better than Bethesda.

Smejki

Larian Studios, ex-Warhorse
Developer
Looks a tiny bit dated, but the style is solid which is much more important.
Otherwise it seems to aim to be NotFalloutso color me interested.

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
The downright fucking HILARIOUS: This is easily going to be Obsidian doing Bethesda better than Bethesda.
I don't mean to sound cocky but I think pretty much everybody who attempted to make a Bethesda game did better job than Bethesda.
It's also worth noting that the greatest harm to Bethesda was done by Bethesda itself. Repeatedly.

I'm gonna root for it just out of spite for Bethesda. Trailer makes it look like borderlands though, with fps drops and mildly irritating (but not as annoying) type of humor, eh idk. Hope the gameplay is not too twitchy.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
I guess I expected something a bit less generic. In terms of both world design and characters this seems like a mash-up of Borderlands and ME Andromeda, if it weren't for TIm and Boyarsky in the lead not sure it would even register on the radar.

Still, can't read too much into short trailers. Hopefully the exploration is worthwhile and RPG systems (including C&C) are good.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Oh they're already rolling out the gameplay footage. I thought there would be silence on this for awhile after that first trailer.

Looks alright. Mostly realtime shooting that will probably be extra easy because RPG/story-game fans are decrepit, not really my thing. But it's not going bioware/cdprojekt way of paraphrased dialogue options or GTA-y minimap with event icons flashing at you which seems nice. Only got around to playing New Vegas this year, so might play this in ~2026.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
Having comedic elements is one thing, having that comedy actually be funny is another completely different thing. All of those game have low effort comedy... also Minsc as an example? :roll:

Dude, if VtM:B counts as low-effort comedy for you, then you don't know what comedy is.

Bloodlines wasn't low effort but it was also a bit more subtle and smart compared to cracking forced jokes every 10 seconds. It also had quite a bit of dark and creepy stuff which meshed together with the humor made for an interesting mix.

Diggfinger

Arcane
Thanks Tim and Leon!

Now tell me:
a) How will RPG elements work (xp, stats, character advancement)
b) How will shooting work OK qua above shooting looks awesome. Just need alot of roleplaying!

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom