Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
The combat looks way too floaty. Why can't games fucking do lethal combat with weight behind it?
because "weight" is one of the most overrated things people ask for in combat. When you look at games from a grander perspective, the ones that don't focus on weight tend to have far better combat anyway.

That is not true at all. Almost all of the games with a good feel to it's gunplay are very lethal, this type of combat where you walk around chipping away at enemy just looks and feels bad to play with guns. Good gunplay in a game is almost parallel with things dying fast and a lot of commitment to movement.

I'll give it to you that weight is used as a buzzword a lot though.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
the gameplay looks exactly like new vegas >__>

i hope cos it is beta or something, and the player is kinda bad at playing, but everything else looks better than any of bethesda's shit

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
That is not true at all. Almost all of the games with a good feel to it's gunplay are very lethal, this type of combat where you walk around chipping away at enemy just looks and feels bad to play with guns. Good gunplay in a game is almost paralel with things dying fast and a lot of commitment to movement.
I think that's what he meant. Not focusing on weight = focusing on speed. Which I agree with you on. You want hectic, fast action that keeps the player moving in a shooter.

I'm fine with the TES sneak/snipe/shoot/slash combat though, as long as the RPG elements around it are good and the game world offers interesting characters and choices.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
That is not true at all. Almost all of the games with a good feel to it's gunplay are very lethal, this type of combat where you walk around chipping away at enemy just looks and feels bad to play with guns. Good gunplay in a game is almost paralel with things dying fast and a lot of commitment to movement.
I think that's what he meant. Not focusing on weight = focusing on speed. Which I agree with you on. You want hectic, fast action that keeps the player moving in a shooter.

I'm fine with the TES sneak/snipe/shoot/slash combat though, as long as the RPG elements around it are good and the game world offers interesting characters and choices.

Yes but that's not what's happening here, this is your old fallout 3 just sidestrifing and chipping at the enemy forever.

I don't particularly want fast action per se, but rather less strifing and chipping. More deliberate combat, where you move and kill. I prefer lethal combat in general though where things die fast, including the player.

Wunderbar

Arcane
This video could've been much better if instead of bulky revolver with strong recoil player was equipped with some peashooter pistol.

Seeing that you barely scratched than varren is really underwhelming.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
This video could've been much better if instead of bulky revolver with strong recoil player was equipped with some peashooter pistol.

Seeing that you barely scratched than varren is really underwhelming.
That's not a Varren, that's a Raptidon, a completely new type of Pokémon.

Viata

Arcane
The-Outer-Worlds_120818_01.png

What the fuck is that shit in the middle of the image? A fucking quest compass? Disgusting.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Level scaling even if limited always leaves me suspicious. It's never a good thing in RPGs and usually is an indicative of bad RPG.

Ruzen

Savant
I just watched a second time and I got headache. I guess this is going to be one of those fps games that is actually bad for my health. Shame :cry:

orcinator

Liturgist
Thanks for whoever pointed out the damage numbers, I was worried that I'd have to wait for a trailer to know it's going to have bad gameplay.
But hey look there's a trailer right now.

And oh man does that look like crap.

Additionally, guess who's already spent more hours playing Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel than Wasteland 2? Here's a hint: There are some who call him Tim.

It was only up to you to listen.

I did notice a pointless progress bar that took 9 seconds to fill at 3:20 so maybe he was paying attention when playing Wasteland 2.

Also there's'
"You dictate your characters' growth by investing in a stat system with categories dictated by a six-letter acronym, not unlike Fallout's S.P.E.C.I.A.L. system. Despite these and the many other similarities, The Outer Worlds isn't devoid of originality. Cain smirked before saying that he couldn't tell us what the stat acronym in The Outer Worlds is, but he was amped to share the other side of character customization, which sounds like it will usher in a brand-new form of player choice."

Which has a chance to also follow in WL2's footsteps by focusing more on having your attributes form an acronym over making sure half of them aren't universal dump stats.

Last edited:

sullynathan

Arcane
but rather less strifing and chipping. More deliberate combat, where you move and kill. I prefer lethal combat in general though where things die fast, including the player.
not going to happen in a game that claims it's an rpg and fps.
That is not true at all. Almost all of the games with a good feel to it's gunplay are very lethal, this type of combat where you walk around chipping away at enemy just looks and feels bad to play with guns.
While my post was about more than just shooters, I would say that the 2nd sentence of your post is mostly correct but some FPS play around with the chip style combat and very lethal combat. Destiny does that, and outer worlds looks very similar to Destiny but with worse combat.

NullFlow

Savant
Who are Matthew Singh (Senior Producer) and Charles Staples (Lead Designer)?
Matthew Singh was a QA tester on NWN2: Storm of Zehir, an Associate Producer on NV, Producer for New Vegas DLCs, and Lead Producer on Stick of Truth and Tyranny. Charles Staples has a history on Activision and has been a Senior Designer at Obsidian for 11 years. He was the area lead design on New Vegas and did the You'll Know It When It Happens and Arizona Killer quests, and much of the Camp Forlorn Hope content. I checked out their LinkedIns and a Wikia page for Staples.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
there is no way an AAA game ship without quest compass. The question is will they accomodate compass less playstyle like ELEX, which is almost perfectly playable without it because the NPC tell enough information to go there yourself

Glenda Glenn

Learned
Let's see...

• First person only.
  • No romance /sex.
  • Player-centric, yet another get stronger, kill bad guys, save the world game.
  • Has levels, possibly level scaling.
  • Plays like Fallout 4.
  • Unkillable companions.
  • Floating damage numbers.
  • Not on GOG.
  • Not easily moddable due to UE4.
Not sure if I have missed anything but I already have more than enough reasons to skip this game anyway. Huge disappointment.

Doktor Best

Arcane
The-Outer-Worlds_120818_01.png

What the fuck is that shit in the middle of the image? A fucking quest compass? Disgusting.

I agree, but Elex also has a quest compass which you can turn it off because the game gives you the necessary information to navigate to the questgoal without it. So maybe Obsidian took some notes from it?

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
When Microsoft acquired Obsidian I said that jokes on them, that Microsoft will expect New Vegas 2 but will get Kingdoms of Amalur 2.

Its seems I was right, if Kingdoms of Amalur 2 is a bastard child of No Man Sky and Bioware.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
I remember in ELEX, the only one time i have to turn on compass is this one quest from the raider's city. I have to go north from the city and find a "cliff" and go east (or west i forgot) i found a cliff of some sort, but it wasnt actually the place they have in mind.

I turned the marker, turned out their definition of a "cliff" is 3 meters tall formation of tiny rock in the middle of nowhere.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom