Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X4: Foundations - Mount and Blade with space-ships. Now with significant Beta update

Perkel

Arcane
MODS NEWS:

Shield Rebalance and Delay removal
This mods brings shields mechanic to X3 system where shields always regenerated and there was no wait between recharge. Now you can't kill capital ships with one small fighter and differences between S/M/L/XL are huge.

For example vanilla S elite had 1400shield while M trader 1600.
This made classes not that much different. Couple that with lack of recharge if shield was damaged recently by anything meant that M ships couldn't take even one small S ship.

Argon
S ship - 2500 shield, 25 regen
M ship - 8000 shield, 33 regen
L ship - 50000 shield, 100 regen
XL Ship - 100000 shield, 150 regen

Paranid
S ship - 1750 shield, 30 regen
M ship - 5600 shield, 39.6 regen
L ship - 35000 shield, 120 regen
XL Ship - 70000 shield, 180 regen

Teladi
S ship - 3750 shield, 20 regen
M ship - 12000 shield, 26.4 regen
L ship - 75000 shield, 80 regen
XL Ship - 150000 shield, 120 regen

Player-owned ship production
Players can now build and own shipyards/wharfs.
Warning: Mods is still being tested.

Alternate game-starts
In the current version, the following base gamestarts are included:
  • The Master Builder - Builder start with a CV, all blueprint and research unlocked
  • The Bankrupt Miner - Miner start with a little credit and a M-sized mining ship
  • The Betrayed Mercenary - Pirate start at the Holy Order system with extremely bad relations with Holy Order
  • The Humble Merchant by SilverXarrow - Included as an example on how to integrate other gamestarts

Last edited:

ZeniBot

Cipher
shield regen should be instant anyway. Makes the afterburner shit to use with the vanilla system because it depletes too fast and then you have to wait to use it again it doesn't feel natural at all.
I'm also surprised that player owned shipyards weren't a thing from the start considering it made more sense for the player to do that. What happens if you declare war on every race? are you just locked out of ship building? this is why the player needs that feature.

Morkar Left

Hmm, for small ships I think having a delay would be a good balancing mechanic when other ships wouldn't have a delay.

Perkel

Arcane
News:
Ego is looking at war in X4 and they are considering patching it so that both xenon and khak are more agressive.
Which should also fix stalled economy.

shield regen should be instant anyway. Makes the afterburner shit to use with the vanilla system because it depletes too fast and then you have to wait to use it again it doesn't feel natural at all.
I'm also surprised that player owned shipyards weren't a thing from the start considering it made more sense for the player to do that. What happens if you declare war on every race? are you just locked out of ship building? this is why the player needs that feature.

Currently yes. People dug up into game files and looks like some features which were earlier talked about by devs are switched off like taking over sectors and player HQ producing ships /player being able to make shipyards/wharfs
Rushed release or they save it for DLC.

Either way 1 of those is already working via mods and sector take over should be done relatively quickly because X:rebirth had mod such as this.

cw8

Cipher
Using a gamepad is frustating in X4. Had no problems with X2-X3 where I can fly around and navigate menus just fine with a gamepad. In X4, I can't use the gamepad to target something effectively and have to use the mouse. If I use the mouse and switch back to gamepad, there's a 3 second delay in input. Certain menus, you navigate the cursor with a gamepad like you would for a mouse.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Anyone found the story/campaign yet?

How?

I have a miner and trader running now, making some money. FINALLY found the space monoral running around the universe and revealed a shitload of stations, but how/where do you start the main story mission?

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
LOL, just after posting that I think I found it, randomly scanning a station in Argon Prime.

You get a message saying PRESS F TO AWESOME and Sebulba from Star Wars Episode 1 (which is how Borons look in this game I guess) pops up with a message asking for help with research.

cw8

Cipher
Looks like patch 1.3 is the one we want most for now:

https://www.reddit.com/r/X4Foundations/comments/a3sxzf/patch_130_is_now_out_for_beta_testing/

Version 1.30 Beta 1 (323831)

• Added graphics setting to show graphics card and screen separately on multi-GPU systems.

• Added option to restore all default settings.

• Added Nividium to items bought by Argon and Teladi trade stations.

• Improved accuracy of turrets and gimballed weapons.

• Improved skill gain profile for NPCs.

• Improved station-based traders to sell products at at least the price set at their station.

• Improved options for selling illegal wares.

• Removed non-functional engine mod type.

• Removed mining turret compatibility from Sunder.

• Removed display of type icons for unknown objects on map.

• Removed mouse cursor emulation in start menu.

• Fixed searching for ware names to use the correct trade filter.

• Fixed missing guidance information in Mission Manager

• Fixed invasions stalling and starving the war missions of suitable situations.

• Fixed illegal build plot for advanced gamestart "The Unworthy Entrepreneur".

• Fixed player-owned ships sometimes dropping cargo without the player telling them to.

• Fixed passengers or prisoners sometimes being promoted to captain thereby changing ship ownership.

• Fixed turrets on M-sized ships flown by the player and set to attack all enemies not engaging hostile XS-sized ships.

• Fixed case of patrolling ships failing to engage pirates pretending to belong to their faction.

• Fixed police ships penalising unpaid plots in locations where they do not have police authority.

• Fixed "Promote best crewmember" button not working if ship has no pilot and all crewmembers have 0 skills.

• Fixed being able to recruit crew from NPC-owned capital ships.

• Fixed another case of AutoTrade not functioning.

• Fixed AutoMiners not selling the resources that they gather.

• Fixed some player-owned ships not allowing you to dock.

• Fixed L-sized turret and shieldgenerator blueprints not being available to the player.

• Fixed certain collectables not being picked up when you fly over them.

• Fixed ships stuck while docked awaiting an invalid build to complete.

• Fixed characters being stuck in unhelpful places.

• Fixed being able to clone crew members.

• Fixed player logo being applied to HQ asteroid.

• Fixed player HQ information menu not working after adding a production to the HQ.

• Fixed missing dock areas on builder ships.

• Fixed incorrect type of mines near gate in Eighteen Billion.

• Fixed error incorrectly appearing if build is completed.

• Fixed asteroid scanning not being possible.

• Fixed missing text localization in several places.

• Fixed missing German station announcements and other voiced lines.

• Fixed a case of ships having no collision detection.

• Fixed ships skipping collision avoidance in certain situations.

• Fixed most cases of clipping through docking bay floors when docking.

• Fixed a case of the player ship warping to an invalid location on undocking.

• Fixed more cases of the player ship warping around (e.g. after taking control).

• Fixed crash when installing broken equipment mods.

• Fixed occasional unrecoverable freezes.

• Fixed several other causes of rare crashes.

Perkel

Arcane
It is amazing to watch how 2 week beta for people who pre-ordered could do wonders for them.

Vival

Augur
After playing for a while i noticed that capital ships are more or less worthless in x4 when compared to rebirth which was all about capital ships with you being the last starfighter. Why would i use a shitty, slow transporter when i can use a fleet of teladi scouts to transport goods instead? Carriers have zero purpose without the ability to offer some of the functionality of an equipment dock and fighters not having some sort of combat readiness rating to limit their operational range. As it's now, It's piss poor game design but i guess mods might fix it as usual.

ZeniBot

Cipher
Carriers have zero purpose without the ability to offer some of the functionality of an equipment dock and fighters not having some sort of combat readiness rating to limit their operational range. As it's now, It's piss poor game design but i guess mods might fix it as usual.

The purpose for Carriers is to move into sectors where you cannot use a station. But because the game isn't dynamic and its all static you run out of enemies too quickly making carriers a pointless investment.

Vival

Augur
The purpose for Carriers is to move into sectors where you cannot use a station. But because the game isn't dynamic and its all static you run out of enemies too quickly making carriers a pointless investment.

Yeah but fighters don't need to land there since without repairs/rearming it's just a useless hassle. You can just send fighterwings around without any base. I set xenon/khaak to neutral relations with eachother and upped their production quotas which helps a bit to keep tem from vanishing but still haven't seen too much havoc. Hopfully in the next patch the races invade properly.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron

Yeah but fighters don't need to land there since without repairs/rearming it's just a useless hassle. You can just send fighterwings around without any base. I set xenon/khaak to neutral relations with eachother and upped their production quotas which helps a bit to keep tem from vanishing but still haven't seen too much havoc. Hopfully in the next patch the races invade properly.

Welcome to the X universe. Carriers have been useless since day 1.

Used to be a lot more difficult to get to that uselessness point though, but whatever.

cw8

Cipher

In X3, if your fighters used missiles, you needed a carrier with a load of them to resupply them if they run out. I prefer launching my fighter wings from my carrier at the destination instead of ordering them to fly to the destination as a whole wing since about 1/4-1/2 will be lost from collisions along the way. And it simply just looks cooler, a lot cooler.
Since X4 doesn't look like it has strict ship collision physics, I think it'll probably be just as good ordering fighter wings around.

cw8

Cipher
The Carriers are huge this time, that's my smalll ship on the right:

11w7gxf.jpg

The Destroyers have turned into their real-life counterparts, about the size of real-life destroyers. Not like the Destroyers in X2-X3 which are more like Battleships. But they're still of a decent size. Now I hope they add XL Battleships.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron

In X3, if your fighters used missiles, you needed a carrier with a load of them to resupply them if they run out. I prefer launching my fighter wings from my carrier at the destination instead of ordering them to fly to the destination as a whole wing since about 1/4-1/2 will be lost from collisions along the way. And it simply just looks cooler, a lot cooler.
Since X4 doesn't look like it has strict ship collision physics, I think it'll probably be just as good ordering fighter wings around.

Collision damage was temporarily disabled because of the terribad autopilot that would keep smacking into things. It will be added back in.

Thane Solus

Arcane
So i had to fix this: Space Diversity mod for 1.30 : https://www12.zippyshare.com/v/sF3fnvV0/file.html

The 4chan one, had some bugs in it, and it freezed the information panel, since Egosoft decided to rename props between versions, yeah....

It removes the horrible inclusive african blacks from the game. I wouldn't mind them if they were well made, and not 70% of the NPCs in Argon. If i were black i would be insulted, they all look like thugz. Fucking German Developers man.

In the future, maybe i will add more diversity to the spawns, now its not that much, but maybe they will add more props with time.

Mortmal

Arcane
Unfortunately it looks like 1.21 breaks more than it fixes. At least they are consistent. :dealwithit:

When you release patches almost every few days, the chance of those changes to be tested in x4 its close to zero, so they pray they didnt fucked much and fixed more, and get a praise from retards. Egosoft fanboys are as retarded as paradox squad, probably more.

Any other company releasing a game in this state with a price tag of 50, would be linched by gamers and "journos", egosoft with their army of fans, and retards, actually sold more than 500k in a week, with a Alpha product, that looks nice (graphicx).

FML
Well said, at this price tag i could get something like breath of the wild on switch or any of their awesome and polished games. Egosoft does not deserves any praise at all.

Turjan

Arcane
In X3, pretty much all Argons were medium brown. I wonder why they did away with this.

Last edited:

Morkar Left

I don't know but I'm not convinced about the ship design. Aprox. 80% of the ships I can't tell where is the bow and where is stern...

Turjan

Arcane
I don't know but I'm not convinced about the ship design. Aprox. 80% of the ships I can't tell where is the bow and where is stern...
Yeah. But even those that still look recognizable show weird changes. The Paranid Odysseus still resembles the one from X3, except it now looks like a simplified plastic toy version of the original.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
a simplified plastic toy version of the original.

Tagline for the review of the entire game tbh.

Dat interface is magnificent. Everything else though... millennialised to the extreme.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom