Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
There is a huge gulf between:

1) wandering out into enemy fire nonchalantly, taking umpteen small arms fire hits, and then popping back into cover for a stimpack HP boost (that takes about 5 seconds to replace all that lost health)

and:

2) headshot = instant death

Yes, we understand that 100% realistic gunplay is not quite the ideal experience for most players, no that doesn't excuse this absolute dogshit gunplay.

If he was wearing the equivalent of Power Armor that'd be another matter, but he isn't.

Explosives, shots to the head, automatic weapons, these should all be extremely scary things to go up against. I'm not arguing for one-shot kills, I'm arguing for a more realistic baseline difficulty, so that gameplay doesn't devolve into alternating between facetanking everything and popping endless stimpacks.

They were no doubt demonstrating on the easiest difficulty setting. The person playing wasn't very good.

Yosharian

Arcane
There is a huge gulf between:

1) wandering out into enemy fire nonchalantly, taking umpteen small arms fire hits, and then popping back into cover for a stimpack HP boost (that takes about 5 seconds to replace all that lost health)

and:

2) headshot = instant death

Yes, we understand that 100% realistic gunplay is not quite the ideal experience for most players, no that doesn't excuse this absolute dogshit gunplay.

If he was wearing the equivalent of Power Armor that'd be another matter, but he isn't.

Explosives, shots to the head, automatic weapons, these should all be extremely scary things to go up against. I'm not arguing for one-shot kills, I'm arguing for a more realistic baseline difficulty, so that gameplay doesn't devolve into alternating between facetanking everything and popping endless stimpacks.

They were no doubt demonstrating on the easiest difficulty setting. The person playing wasn't very good.
See, there you go again, making those assumptions, just like the other guy who said 'lol you can turn all those crappy UI things off'.

Until I see for my own eyes that the game has been designed with appropriate difficulty, it doesn't exist. I'm going to judge based off what I'm shown, and what I was shown was pure dogshit.

You know what happens when you turn up difficulty in Beth games? Enemies turn into fucking bullet sponges, and that's it. Nothing interesting happens to the gameplay. You don't suddenly end up with a tense, well-designed gunplay system just by cranking a fucking hitpoint slider.

If Obsi want to court the popamole crowd with a brainless combat system that's their prerogative, but I'm done giving the benefit of the doubt to devs over game difficulty. Core audiences need to stop buying dogshit designed for moronic console players.

Now that said, if, say, the next video Obsi release demonstrates a high level of difficulty, well-designed AI that doesn't just sit there staring at you, etc, I'm happy to eat my words. But until I see such a thing, it doesn't exist.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Glenda, you were thin skinned enough to ignore me for asking a jokey question, whaddya doing going on peeking in on my convos anyway?

See, there you go again, making those assumptions, just like the other guy who said 'lol you can turn all those crappy UI things off'.

It's an easy assumption to make given that many developers have confirmed in the past that their hands-off game demos are done on the easiest setting.

Until I see for my own eyes that the game has been designed with appropriate difficulty, it doesn't exist. I'm going to judge based off what I'm shown, and what I was shown was pure dogshit.

You know what happens when you turn up difficulty in Beth games? Enemies turn into fucking bullet sponges, and that's it. Nothing interesting happens to the gameplay. You don't suddenly end up with a tense, well-designed gunplay system just by cranking a fucking hitpoint slider.

Your issue appears to be the amount of damage the player character can absorb. Well as far as Fallout 3 goes

Difficulty
Player Dealt Damage Player Received damage
Very Easy 200% 50%
Easy 150% 75%
Normal 100% 100%
Hard 75% 150%
Very Hard 50% 200%

Jezal_k23

The gameplay being on the easiest possible difficulty is an assumption, but a reasonable one as this is actually the case most of the time in AAA games. They want a smooth demo to showcase a small part of the game, not some guy frantically running away consuming 10 stimpacks and dying to a bunch of raptors or whatever the fuck they are even called.

I see a lot of assumptions here that difficulty and gameplay will suck. I'm not saying that's wrong, but remember that we don't know either way. I'm staying neutral until we can say more.

Yosharian

Arcane
Your issue appears to be the amount of damage the player character can absorb.
That's a reductive interpretation of something that's actually quite complicated.

It's not just about damage taken, it's about the ability to restore HP easily, the way enemies react to incoming fire and the way they deal it out, etc. Also just AI in general.

Again: you can't create a tense gunplay system just by cranking HP sliders, and the same logic applies to cranking incoming-damage sliders.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It's not just about damage taken, it's about the ability to restore HP easily, the way enemies react to incoming fire and the way they deal it out, etc. Also just AI in general.

Again: you can't create a tense gunplay system just by cranking HP sliders, and the same logic applies to cranking incoming-damage sliders.
Everyone should know by now that one can't make a shooter with choices and consequences and such that can compete with shooters that focus only on being that. It's been literal decades. Additionally, this is also a mass market title intended to sell millions which means the baseline must be easy.

Glenda Glenn

Learned
Glenda, you were thin skinned enough to ignore me for asking a jokey question, whaddya doing going on peeking in on my convos anyway?
Yes, I'm thin skinned and I'm just trying to learn how to survive in this place. Ignoring unpleasant people is currently my first line of defense and also being as obnoxious as possible seems like a good idea, you know, best defense is good offense... or something.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Guys, i have a solution if you want to get good games and to see less bad games.

Dont buy and dont support games like this. This way we will get more games like Fallout and Torment and less like this one.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Guys, i have a solution if you want to get good games and to see less bad games.

Dont buy and dont support games like this. This way we will get more games like Fallout and Torment and less like this one.
Fallout 4/Fallout 76 and Torment: Tides of Numenera?

Nah, I'm good. I'll buy The Outer Worlds.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik

This one is no different from Fallout 4/Fallout 76. And its kinda obvious.

Jinn

Arcane
Sorry if this has been addressed earlier in the the thread or in an interview already, but are quests going to be complete-able based on context, ie - without the use of quest compass and markers? Please someone tell me yes.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Sorry if this has been addressed earlier in the the thread or in an interview already, but are quests going to be complete-able based on context, ie - without the use of quest compass and markers? Please someone tell me yes.
No mainstream journalist is going to ask this question. Assume it's not going to happen.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yes, I'm thin skinned and I'm just trying to learn how to survive in this place. Ignoring unpleasant people is currently my first line of defense and also being as obnoxious as possible seems like a good idea, you know, best defense is good offense... or something.

Hmm. If you're blocking Roguey, you should really block Infinitron and Fairfax, too. Also block Chris Avellone--he's a vicious troll and totally not the real MCA.

Yosharian

Arcane

Everyone should know by now that one can't make a shooter with choices and consequences and such that can compete with shooters that focus only on being that. It's been literal decades. Additionally, this is also a mass market title intended to sell millions which means the baseline must be easy.

And that's why I hate it. I'm glad you understood me, finally.

If a developer like Obsidian starts making titles for mainstream idiots first, and Fallout fans second, well.. I just won't buy the game, it's all good I guess.

Yosharian

Arcane

This one is no different from Fallout 4/Fallout 76. And its kinda obvious.
No, that's unfair. Even from that short gameplay vid you can tell it's leagues better than Fallout 4. No voiced protagonist, for one. That alone makes it far superior. And Fallout 76? Please, that's a joke, there aren't even any fucking NPCs in FO76.

You can criticise the game without making objectively false statements like that.

A horse of course

Even from that short gameplay vid you can tell it's leagues better than Fallout 4.
FilthyWhoppingComet-size_restricted.gif

Yeah looks like a really polished, high quality title. Nothing like that janky, glitchy crap Bethesda puts out.

mogwaimon

Magister
you guys didn't seriously think microsoft opened up their wallets to buy obsidian on the strength of the isometric CRPG 'revival' did you? finally it all makes sense

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom