Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Wonder how long before Obsidian ends up like Rare? Luckily Kinect is Dead so Obsidian won’t end up making games for Kinect

it's not like they were spared this kind of thing as an independent company. One of the reasons Stormlands got cancelled was that they had trouble supporting the Kinect, and it led to massive layoffs that nearly destroyed the business.

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Wonder how long before Obsidian ends up like Rare? Luckily Kinect is Dead so Obsidian won’t end up making games for Kinect

it's not like they were spared this kind of thing as an independent company. One of the reasons Stormlands got cancelled was that they had trouble supporting the Kinect, and it led to massive layoffs that nearly destroyed the business.
Isn't it ironic that Obsidian were bought by the very company that almost sank them.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
From GameSpot's video coverage of TOW: https://youtu.be/58qKmxO_YfQ?t=1237

"When I was walking around their studio they did say that they are working on another project. They were, I think, pulling the lead programmer off of this to go work on their new project."

I guess Anthony Davis was indeed lead programmer on the new project (presumably Mississippi)? And they fill the vacancy by pulling out the lead from TOW? I wonder if this is the project with multiplayer elements.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Pillars of Eternity 3: now skyrim clone!

I am sure, uh, that Chris Parker would not want such an eventuality? No, not at all.
i dont really care as long as i get royalties since i am the one who obviously propagated the idea of multi million hits.

Now if someone who has connections be a nice little bird and send the idea california-ward.

Flou

Arbiter
From GameSpot's video coverage of TOW: https://youtu.be/58qKmxO_YfQ?t=1237

"When I was walking around their studio they did say that they are working on another project. They were, I think, pulling the lead programmer off of this to go work on their new project."

I guess Anthony Davis was indeed lead programmer on the new project (presumably Mississippi)? And they fill the vacancy by pulling out the lead from TOW? I wonder if this is the project with multiplayer elements.

I would imagine with Microsoft giving free reign, Josh will want to do that historical and tactical crpg of his. That doesn't sound like it would require multiplayer stuff, but out of the three suspects, it is the most likely to have such feature.
Parker has the idea for his Skyrim. It doesn't sound like it needs multiplayer features.
Pillars 3 if at some point they want to finish the damn trilogy doesn't really need multiplayer features either, unless they want to make a game where you pause the game in competition with your co-op buddies.
They did have that ½ of a project going on a few years ago, so maybe that's finally going somewhere.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
I wonder what is common in those companies? Jeez, maybe because they are multibillion dollar juggernauts and can afford to build a new engine. Even Atlus can be considered a big company, but at the least they are more wealthy than Obsidian. Stop being a fucking retard and act like you know better. You know shit.

Being multi-billion juggernauts has nothing to do with it.

Atlus, like another poster said before me, will migrate to Unreal engine despite now being a part of SEGA, a multibillion juggernaut...

The real reason more and more devs use 3rd party engines is because 3rd party engines are more generic these days and can be used, as is or with some modification, for any type of game. This is something relatively new to the gaming industry, 10-20 years ago, different kinds of games needed different kinds of engines.

For example, you needed Infinity Engine to make top down crpgs. But you needed quake engine to make an FPS, and another engine to make Fifa 99... Now you can use Frostbite 3 to make both top down crpgs like Dragon Age AND first person shooters like Battlefield 5... AND sports games like FIFA...

You understand? Hardware and engine technology has improved so much that a single engine can service most needs.

So spare me your retardation son, i know far more about game development than you.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Recently Obsidian came to me and asked me to take a look at their new game. They asked if I had a degree in game design. I said "I have a theoretical degree in game design at Shitposting Tech."

I'm gonna need that developer tag guys.

Viata

Arcane
The real reason more and more devs use 3rd party engines is because 3rd party engines are more generic these days and can be used, as is or with some modification, for any type of game. This is something relatively new to the gaming industry, 10-20 years ago, different kinds of games needed different kinds of engines.
There is also the bonus of not needing to pay some programmers to maintain your own 3D engine. So you can just invest your team into making the game.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I wonder what is common in those companies? Jeez, maybe because they are multibillion dollar juggernauts and can afford to build a new engine. Even Atlus can be considered a big company, but at the least they are more wealthy than Obsidian. Stop being a fucking retard and act like you know better. You know shit.

Being multi-billion juggernauts has nothing to do with it.

Atlus, like another poster said before me, will migrate to Unreal engine despite now being a part of SEGA, a multibillion juggernaut...

For example, you needed Infinity Engine to make top down crpgs. But you needed quake engine to make an FPS, and another engine to make Fifa 99... Now you can use Frostbite 3 to make both top down crpgs like Dragon Age AND first person shooters like Battlefield 5... AND sports games like FIFA...

You understand? Hardware and engine technology has improved so much that a single engine can service most needs.

So spare me your retardation son, i know far more about game development than you.
So you agree there is a good reason why companies use 3rd party engines instead of building them themselves. Good job at shooting your argument on the foot.

Please, stop being an unsufferable bitch, everyone is getting tired of your drivel. Thanks.

Duraframe300

Arcane
So, does Obsidian's acquisition by Microsoft mean we won't get another iso RPG from them? No PoE3, no Sawyer historical/tactical RPG?

Depends on what Microsoft wants from them. Considering the amount of indie studios they bought they may as well be interested in producing mid budget titles.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
They already have inXile filling the niche of relatively-smaller-budget Original Sin clones. :M

Flou

Arbiter
So, does Obsidian's acquisition by Microsoft mean we won't get another iso RPG from them? No PoE3, no Sawyer historical/tactical RPG?

The way Sawyer was talking about the acquisition on the MS video, I think they will be allowed to make smaller scale games as well. Seems like the ball is in Obsidian's hands (Feargus) and the studio heads will decide which projects they will go after.

The question is, does Feargus still think that working on smaller games diminishes the brand value and will hurt the company. Or will he actually let someone like Sawyer to chase down his dream project to keep him happy. Though with the sudden boost in any budget smaller scale might just mean that Sawyer has 10-20 million dollars on his project instead of 3-5 million dollars.

If they currently have multiple projects ongoing, in addition to Outer Worlds and Deadfire DLCs. It should mean that at least one of the projects is smaller project. Otherwise they are running out of staff members.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
If they currently have multiple projects ongoing, in addition to Outer Worlds and Deadfire DLCs. It should mean that at least one of the projects is smaller project. Otherwise they are running out of staff members.
It's Deadfire DLC, Outer Worlds, and Chris Parker's Skyrim.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom