Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Obsidian's new game is The Outer Worlds, a first-person sci-fi RPG set on a corporate space colony

Wesp5

Arcane
Maybe they want to play it safe, which is weird considering hyper violent action rpg's like Fallout and Borderlands sell millions and garner a cult following.

Very probably. Just look at Shadow Warrior 2, which has gore all over! As for the new gameplay video, I'm disapppointed with the facial animations. Can it be that the old Source engine can still do this better than UE4? I'm not as worried about the combat. Bloodlines combat wasn't really great either, the story and the characters made it a classic, not the combat...

Last edited:

Smejki

Larian Studios, ex-Warhorse
Developer
No lockpicking mini game for locked doors....Streamlined and consolised lame....

Minigames I can take or leave. I'm more worried about the floating quest markers.

Didnt those existi in new vegas?

I might be mistaken, but could you see them floating through walls from wherever you were in New Vegas?
They were on the compass and on the map. More importantly a good number of quests were unplayable without them because you were never told the crucial info an existing marker represents.

Non-diegetic in-world markers were added to the toolbox of lazy-ass stupid dev tools some year or two later.
That being said I have no problem with them as long as I can turn them off and the game doesn't suffer from that subsequently.

Last edited:
No lockpicking mini game for locked doors....Streamlined and consolised lame....

Minigames I can take or leave. I'm more worried about the floating quest markers.

Didnt those existi in new vegas?

I might be mistaken, but could you see them floating through walls from wherever you were in New Vegas?
They were on the compass and on the map. More importantly a good number of quests were unplayable without them because you were never told the crucial info an existing marker represents.

Non-diegetic in-world markers were added to the toolbox of lazy-ass stupid dev tools some year or two later.
That being said I have no problem with them as long as I can turn them off and the game doesn't suffer from that subsequently.
Quest markers aren't cancerous in and of themselves. I prefer them sometimes when I don't want to think so much. That said, the option to turn them on and off is god-tier.

Quillon

Arcane
Lack of extreme violence in npc deaths is also a sad state of affairs from the creators of Fallout... no gibs, yet another step back from New vegas and Bethesda Fallout's

r6BSwpJ.gif

I think they could add it very easily since they already have critical hits that depend on body parts (in robots it's the core, in humans it was the head), so they could have gore and explosions.

It's not the ease of implementation, its the lack of will to do it. Maybe they want to play it safe, which is weird considering hyper violent action rpg's like Fallout and Borderlands sell millions and garner a cult following.

I don't imagine its easy to make f.i. dismembering; I'm guessing one would need to invest considerable resources into it since even CDPR could only afford to make "fixed" dismembering in W3.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
I scare myself for how much out of hype I am for this game, a Cain/Boyarsky game, even after watching the whole 14 min gameplay movie.
The feeling I had while watching was this feeling of saturation, like I was playing this type of game (shooter with dialogue options) since forever.

This tongue in cheek mediocre BORING writing along with the bioshockish art style and monster design that compete with WoW's, suddenly makes George Ziets's Wasteland 3 the next game to put faith in.

Last edited:

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
...I see the stars come out tonight, I see the bright and hollow sky, over the city's ripped-back sky and everything looks good tonight...

Looks like budget nu-Fallout, pass.

but all of this was made for you and me, it just belongs to you and me, so let's take a ride and see what's mine...

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
So what, people in the future cannot afford hair? Or the dyke look is mandatory?

The frigging computer sports the same hairstyle as all the ??females?? that the player encounters.

Oh well, looks very 2016. I'm sure it will sell. Personally I got bored half way through. Combat is standard Mass Effect fare, which translates into boring and tripe. Come on old faggots, didn't you learn from Fallouts? At least make the death animations interesting. You go around swinging a giant magma scythe and all that happens when enemies are hit by it is the rag doll effect gets turned on. Lazy crap.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Except most dialogue options in PoE don't matter.

Most dialogue options in most games don't matter.

Either way, counting lines is retarded and you need to stop.

I made the original statement: "Dialogues with more than 4 options" as an argument pro-TOW.

It's my fault for writing a confusing statement like above but the point was not about counting dialogue lines or that TOW will be incline just because some dialogues have more than 4 lines.

My intention was to say that I'm happy to see a complete dialogue tree with many branches considering that lately most AAA rpgs implement the retarded dialogue wheel (Mass Effect, Witcher 3, Deus Ex: MD, Fallout 4) or don't even have a dialogue system (Fallout 76).

Of course, retards like naossano take the statement ad litteram (because that's all he can do) and then Safav Hamon piles up with more bullshit about PoE dialogues (as they can serve for anything else that examples of fluff or writers retardation).

Fair enough?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom