Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

BG2 is overrated, not as good as BG1 and is not a top 10 CRPG

• Thread starter Deleted Member 16721
  • Start date

purpleblob

Savant
Better than Jade Empire - that shit is overrated. WHOOOO ASIAN CULTURE I TOTALLY DIG THAT BECAUSE IT'S DIFFERENT EVEN IF ITS SHIT.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
BG2 - Chapter 2 with SCS and Revised Battles is the most fun I have had with a cRPG. The game regresses after that but is still fun. ToB is a fucking slog though.

BG1 is a more even experience. Not the peak of BG2 but not the valleys either. Although that werewolf island...

Last edited:

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Jade Empire was at least unique in the genre. It might have been KotoR but not as interesting but at least they did something risky.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
5a306ca148a2d0152545655.jpeg

5a306ca148a7c9163120403.jpeg
5a306ca148add1179169968.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
And for the record, "Sykar", if that is your real name, fake tits on a zombie would appeal to necrophiliacs thus not being useless at all. So that's a self-congratulatory TWO points for me, ZERO for you.

Hah, go back to Minesweeper Flags, KID. This is Spider Town now. I accept written essays, hips-apart-hugs, Steam keys and coupons for Swiss Chalet when you wanna make amends.

This reminds me...
Was there ever a catfight, or even better - pillow fight - between Arie and Jaheira in BG2?

Generic-Giant-Spider

In what way does exploring empty maps

I would expect an esteemed member of the RPG Codex to have a more expansive mind than to resort to some tired excuse of, "empty maps." You want those empty maps, it gives you time to think. No rush. Just enjoy the great sounds around you, listen to your party members squabble, take a sip of your preferred alcoholic beverage to turn you into an angry drunk later on in the night that has to be forcibly restrained, it's all apart of the experience.

BG1 is a fishing trip, Sykar, but I don't expect you to know much about that. The only casting you do is in your little BG2 mage duels, hah. Haha. Hahahahahahahaha.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
In what way does exploring mostly empty maps with a couple of trash encounters and little to no loot constitute to "better exploration"? Better story? Your brother wants to murder you, murder him instead. Wow man such a great story. Better art style? Entirely subjective. BG 2 had higher resolution and more details so on that front it is at least objectively better. "Only" improved graphics, varied enemies and higher level loot which was not dull +x to damage and to hit unlike BG 1. High level spells is what gives BG 2 superior tactical depth because melee and ranged combat is boring and trite as fuck since all you can do is auto attack and let the dice decide your fate, there is little thought involved if any at all.

In other words, your opinion is nothing but contrarian garbage which has no leg to stand upon. It is fine to prefer BG 1 over BG 2 but pretending like BG 1 is a master piece and BG 2 is utter shite is as disingenuous as it can get.

First of all, BG1 is indeed a chosen one story but it is not so strongly about that theme, in the sense that you never become an allpowerful God. The trope is mostly used as a justification of a whole organization to be hunting you, rather than a feel-good and all-powerful gimmick.

Second, the maps are not "empty", they have plenty of encounters and plenty of those have back stories and are interesting. You don't need to have an epic battle every 2 seconds and find a +15 sword every 2 minutes in order to have worthwhile exploration... I suppose you are an ADD person and you need strong stimulation every 10 seconds or you get bored and uninstall the game. But for normal beings, exploration was better in BG1 because it was more free and subtle. Exploration is fun when you trudge through the garbage to find treasure, not when it is handed to you on a silver platter.

Third, there is no tactical depth in high level spells. It is all the same boring shit battle after battle. Especially enemies, followed the same script every fucking time... It was just garbage, seriously.

Forth, if melee and ranged dnd combat is boring as fuck, then you agree with me that Action-rpgs like Skyrim have better combat. What, no? But i thought you wanted more involvement than just throwing a dice...

Fifth, higher resolution does not equal better graphics. The art assets were the same. In Enhanced Editions, you could increase BG1 resolution (you could with mods too), and then BG1 graphics were mostly better than BG2 trash...

Cael

Arcane
Jade Empire was at least unique in the genre. It might have been KotoR but not as interesting but at least they did something risky.

Yes, warping Asian culture to suit white guy's fantasy is a real risky thing to do....
I wonder where was Sarkassian then? Shouldn't the bitch be at every street corner screaming "cultural appropriation"?

Cael

Arcane
BG2 - Chapter 2 with SCS and Revised Battles is the most fun I have had with a cRPG. The game regresses after that but is still fun. ToB is a fucking slog though.

BG1 is a more even experience. Not the peak of BG2 but not the valleys either. Although that werewolf island...
Wait till you run into the bug that multiplies Karoug's regeneration rate...

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i liked how in bg1 you were mostly left to your own devices and the maps were made in such a way that you had enough leeway to explore and get into trouble and shenanigans all on your own.

Generic-Giant-Spider

I'm going to critique that BG erotica rape comic:

First off, why are these orcs so talkative? You're forcing your will on someone, don't go on these big tangents while doing so. That just ruins the whole moment. More grunts, less Pillars of Eternity walls of text.

Secondly, Viconia would never cover up like that. She knows what she is and has it coming.

Thirdly, this is why Xzar > Edwin. Number of times Xzar has been assfucked by an orc: 0.

Overall, I will be masturbating to this tonight. Grade: C+

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
Better story? Your brother wants to murder you, murder him instead. Wow man such a great story.

Guy used to be an elf
Guy and his sister got kicked out for being bad
Bad guy is mad as FUCK
Bad guy wants to use your powers
Kill bad guy after rescuing companion everyone hated

so much better

Darth Canoli

Arcane
We shouldn't have this conversation on the Codex of all places. Both games are extremely overrated.

And Irenicus being edgy boring villain with stupid reason for being evil.

Yeah, the game has 7 chapters and by chapter 2 you're killing red dragons and shit. And it's not due to some big, end of the chapter climatic gatekeeper boss fight. It's a side quest you do so you can raise gold to pay some dude living in a derelict house. I feel like if I'm capable of killing a fully grown, real man's red dragon then I can convince some jobber thief living in poverty that I'm the real deal. He wants to get a group to help me? Nigga, I AM THE GROUP. I'm walking around here with Excalibur and carrying a dragon's head in my left hand and he wants me to pay for his shitty guild's services? Meanwhile in chapter 2 of BG1 I'm having life or death battles with dread wolves and ogrillons on some random dirt road and I see a hobgoblin with a bow and I'm sweating bullets. I see a hostile humanoid with a bow and I'm sending Xzar to the opposite end of the map ASAP.

BG2 also introduced the world to companion romances. It will always bear that tainted scar no matter what happens.

That's mostly why BG 2 is overrated, the main story is a zero effort terrible fantasy novel and the "big vilain" is a edgy butt-hurt retarded little bitch.

Plus, everything the spider said.

What i enjoyed the most in BG 2 : Side quests.

You remove the main quest / plot / storyline, Imoen, Irenicus, add a TB ToEE combat system and the game would be alright, even good.

Stupid? So Raistlin's ambitions are stupid, too?

:deathclaw:

Dude, with this kind of references, no wonder you're a BG2 fanboy ...
I've read that shit, it's alright when you're a late teenager but it's poorly written.

I can see you're stuck with that crap, there's no hope for you.

Brancaleone

Liturgist
BG2 is overrated, not as good as BG1 and is not a top 10 CRPG

According to the multiverse theory, there must be at least one universe in which this is true.

But multiverse theory is probably bullshit, so this is also wrong.
It's bullshit in this universe, but there must be at least one universe in which the multiverse theory is true.

Falksi

Arcane
On reflection I would say I enjoyed my BG1 experiences more than I did BG2.

The thing which always bugged me with BG2 was the amount of side-quests which were constantly thrown at you from the off. BG1 seemed to evolve more naturally and seemed to be structured better. BG2 often bogged you down.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
BG1 is better, always felt the more coherent game overall. But Fluent, the incarnation of decline, thinks that for the wrong reasons. AFAIK he didn't like BG2 because "hurr too many spells, wut have i to do" and didn't even finish it.

hell bovine

Arcane
And what game has the balls to introduce an enormous, central city that the game is named for 50 hours into your adventure? The way they transition you from free wildneress exploration to exploring one of the best made cities in CRPG history is extraordinary. I played the game in 2012 and I'll never forget crossing that bridge and finally getting into the city of Baldur's Gate.
I prefer BG1 to BG2, but Athkatla is the more interesting city by far. By 2012 the BG saga was already well known, but playing the game back when it came out? Stumbling into the Twisted Rune hideout by accident, exploring the planar sphere, finding all the parts for crom faeyr? That was the magic back then.

And as much as I like Pathfinder, it doesn't even have a city. You can't call the measly few areas you get as your capital or in Pitax that. Also, Pathfinder does a far worse job at hiding content, except for the artifact parts, and even then they all consist of something like 10+ identical pieces.

Theldaran

Liturgist
Darth Canoli

So we're now at the edginess point-of-no-return where we shit openly over D&D? You're free to do so, but well, you're commenting on a D&D game, mind you...

I just wanted to give credit to the fact that pegging Irenicus as stupid and Raistlin as not, is stupid in itself. Granted, Raistlin is a better character but he also is handled better (i. e. Bioware = hacks) and I suppose he has more space to shine. Well, after re-reading Legends of the Dragonlance, he also isn't great, but maybe you're expecting too much from "writers" that set their stories around a rules system derived from wargaming, I'd be hard pressed to find a really well written D&D novel.

But BG isn't for storyfags, therefore, be content crushing enemies and shut the fuck up.

Gregz

Arcane
The genuine pen and paper Dungeons & Dragons experience has never been successfully transcribed into a cRPG, and never will be.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom