Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Shadenuat

Arcane
OI2VVYb.png

xD xD xD

Yeah, that aint happening, I'm afraid.

I mean, let's be realistic here:

- Locations. While shep looked good, actual locations where they did quests looked very poor, I think Obsidian are somewhat out of their waters here to create a high standard (Witcher 3 equivalent) of good looking locations. Some of the parts of trailer were nothing but eye gouging level with colors giving you new sickness you never knew you had.

Also existence of the ship and missions can lead to hub-based ME gameplay which, I dunno, is just really not that exciting compared to real open world RPG.

- NPCs. Aside from scientist, they all looked bland as fuck, blander than VTM NPCs. Their dialogue was not stellar either. Again, Obsidian is working on 3d first person, but now they're building stuff from scratch, not modding Fallout 3. Great animations and unique looks seems like ain't happening.

- Dialogue/Story. Two m ladies, worked on Deadfire. We know how Deadfire turned up. Unless Boyarsky make them military march hands straight and edits everything they do, well, we already seen what would be humor and the "U just be u lol!". Maybe points will be gained for shedding any pretense of being serious and just making lol game, but can they do even that?

- Gameplay. We've seen it. It will be a bad, outdated first person shooter. With quest compass. For consoles.

This leaves us roleplaying system and C&C probably. Roleplaying system, I doubt it would make casuls break their brains to figure out anything. There's that flaws gimmick. C&C, and maybe a twist or two (we know Troika games were strong when plot was about some conspiracy) - we don't know.

Also, I believe they will try to hit some particular date to ship this, which means they'd have to make this fast. With his mystical greedy chinese boss abilities, Fearghus somehow grabbed everyone by the balls, parading 2 old school ORIGINAL FALLOUT developers like thoroughbred horses and collecting hype like shiiit (Fallout masturbation never reached higher, we now see not fallout rip off of fallout rip off made by fallout people its falloutception all together with their own Moon-Moon logo guy; member when these developers did things noone else did, like translating vampires or steampunk fantasy gurps into CRPGs? yeah not today). Naturally people would just snowball it from here.
Which means time is ticking and we may get a quite buggy/unfinished product in the end.

Forgive me for being dat guy, but does anyone really believe we, i.e. people who like RPGs, or even people who tolerate AAA shit for storyfaggotry, have anything to gain from all this? Excuse me for being very sceptical.

P.S. I really liked the song.

Last edited:

moon knight

Matt7895's alt
What I don't like of the combat is the sound design. Namely the sound of the gun when firing, it remind me of some early 2000s game, it's weak and doesn't have a "punch" feel to it.

I also don't like the fact that the character is walking around with the gun aimed in front of him like a retard, and some of the dialogue didn't convince me (althought the video from GI was terrible and the commentary ruined it)

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
People itt complaining about easy combat and mandatory quest compass like... what?

81a3723213ee.jpg

It's not 2008, it's ten years later. This is how these games have been, are, and will be made, and your precious Tim "Love me some Borderlands" Cain wasn't going to be your savior. If you've had particular hang-ups about Kickstarter-era RPGs, perhaps you ought to reassess your negative opinions considering how they've apparently made you forget what mainstream console/multi-platform western role-playing games are like.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
People itt complaining about easy combat and mandatory quest compass like... what?

81a3723213ee.jpg

It's not 2008, it's ten years later. This is how these games have been, are, and will be made, and your precious Tim "Love me some Borderlands" Cain wasn't going to be your savior. If you've had particular hang-ups about Kickstarter-era RPGs, perhaps you ought to reassess your negative opinions considering how they've apparently made you forget what mainstream console/multi-platform western role-playing games are like.
If you mean me, I am not complaining about "easy" but about bad.

Fairfax

Arcane

81a3723213ee.jpg

To be fair, the combat looks like Borderlands, which is particularly dumb. Something like ME would've left a better impression here, considering how many users like ME2.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
To be fair, the combat looks like Borderlands, which is particularly dumb. Something like ME would've left a better impression here, considering how many users like ME2.
Eh, other than the art style and the popping numbers, I don't see it. Borderlands has a faster pace, this is more sluggish Bethesda-style "don't worry, you don't need good reflexes to win" combat.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Post-Skyrim has given us Dragon Age Inquisition, Witcher 3, Fallout 4, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, and Mass Effect Andromeda. Do you consider any of those good?
w3 expacs + dxmd are good

It also has terrible combat, p. forgetable main story, basically no RPG mechanics, character progression less developed and worse than some multiplayer FPS games. It's just a good storyfag & settingfag game.

Sentinel

Arcane
Post-Skyrim has given us Dragon Age Inquisition, Witcher 3, Fallout 4, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, and Mass Effect Andromeda. Do you consider any of those good?
w3 expacs + dxmd are good

It also has terrible combat, p. forgetable main story, basically no RPG mechanics, character progression less developed and worse than some multiplayer FPS games. It's just a good storyfag & settingfag game.
which one

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Eh, other than the art style and the popping numbers, I don't see it. Borderlands has a faster pace, this is more sluggish Bethesda-style "don't worry, you don't need good reflexes to win" combat.

Shit Roguey Says : Borderlands actually needs a pulse to play?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom