Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RTS Conan Unconquered - Conan RTS by Petroglyph and Funcom

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
makers of Star Wars: Galaxies at War

journolizm :deathclaw:

petroglyph are making the weirdest shit

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

From the Star Wars: Empire at War and Command & Conquer veterans at Petroglyph comes the first-ever strategy game set in the barbaric world of Conan the Barbarian.

Conan Unconquered is a strategy game set in the barbaric world of Conan the Barbarian where you must build your stronghold and assemble an unconquerable army to survive the savage hordes of Hyboria. Wave after wave of increasingly more difficult enemies will rush at your gates and you will need to manage resources, research new technologies to advance your defenses, and recruit an ever-growing army if you are to save survive utter destruction.

You can choose to play the game entirely alone in single-player, but Conan Unconquered can also be enjoyed in full two-player co-op allowing for a truly unique, shared multiplayer experience. Players share a base, but both can freely construct new buildings and amass an army to reach their common goal.

Similar to games such as They Are Billions, the enemy hordes will keep coming at you and how long you can resist the invasion depends entirely on your ability to build your stronghold and lead your army. Gameplay is real-time, but you can also pause at any time to issue commands and start construction of new buildings. Battles will be bloody and savage with players having to deal with anything from fires raging through their stronghold to piles of corpses spreading death and disease.

The savage horde is at your gates. Will you fall or will you remain unconquered?

STAND AGAINST THE HORDE
Battle wave after wave of increasingly more difficult enemies coming to destroy your stronghold, from lowly footmen to experienced elites and mighty siege weapons. Giant snakes and scorpions, spearmen, necromancers, and flying demons will arrive in vast numbers to see your home burn to the ground.

BUILD AN UNCONQUERABLE STRONGHOLD
Manage resources such as food, gold, wood, and iron to fuel your expanding stronghold. Construct a variety of different buildings from housing to temples and military barracks. Build defensive walls around your stronghold and equip them with traps such as oil cauldrons to keep attackers at bay.

TWO-PLAYER CO-OP MULTIPLAYER
Play together online and build a shared stronghold while fending off the enemy hordes. Both players can build structures freely, and research upgrades, walls, and structures are all shared allowing for a truly unique and cooperative multiplayer experience.

UNLOCK LEGENDARY HEROES
Heroes are incredibly powerful units that can greatly influence the outcome of battles. These heroes, including Conan himself, possess special abilities and you can equip them with unique artifacts that you find as you explore the world.

ASSEMBLE AN UNCONQUERABLE ARMY
You may start out with only a few foot soldiers, but before long you will have amassed an epic army of heavy cavalry, sorcerers, and more, ready at your command. Train units and keep them fed and paid to see their power grow and become truly unconquerable.

SURVIVE DISEASE, FIRE, AND DEATH
The world of Conan the Barbarian is one of blood, battle, and savagery. As your soldiers and those of your enemy die on the battlefield, their bodies will be left to rot and spread disease that can quickly turn the tide of war. Of course, a necromancer might be able to turn that to their advantage.

EXPLORE THE ENVIRONMENT
Randomly generated maps allow for infinite re-playability and each map holds vast opportunities for players that dare to explore beyond their stronghold. Discover ruins hiding great treasures, but beware: these are often protected by massive guardians that you need to bring down to claim your loot.

CALL UPON THE GODS
Build a temple and dedicate your stronghold to Mitra. Summon their massive avatar that towers above the battlefield and crushes your enemies in its footsteps.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Similar to games such as They Are Billions, the enemy hordes will keep coming at you and how long you can resist the invasion depends entirely on your ability to build your stronghold and lead your army.

unsubscribed

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Actually, on reflection this kind of pisses me off. How hard would it be to take the same "build ur fortress" shtick, just make it versus instead of last stand and have it play like Stronghold?

Has there ever been anything any similar to Stronghold anyway?

ffs

SpoilVictor

Educated
Actually, on reflection this kind of pisses me off. How hard would it be to take the same "build ur fortress" shtick, just make it versus instead of last stand and have it play like Stronghold?

Has there ever been anything any similar to Stronghold anyway?

ffs

Looks like the same shit Relic did with Dawn Of War III - it's kinda RTS but RTS don't sell so we will make it RTSLite with MOBA elements. Same here kinds RTS, but more like Last Stand or Horde mode... I smell success.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
bylam

YOUR COMPANY HAS BROUGHT SHAME TO THE CONAN BRAND

COMMIT RITUAL SUDOKU RIGHT NOW

(Also damn that 'summon giant avatar' shtick they did in the MMO and here is super fucking stupid and in no way Conan-esque)

bylam

Funcom
Developer
It's based on Black Colossus if anyone cares.

And meh, I'm not here to defend decisions made above my paygrade. And yeah, marketing love the avatar shit.

The Great ThunThun*

How DARE you!?
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

Jesus. They went and retardoed this immediately even when I gave them the benefit of doubt. Conan fighting with a statue of Mitra? Farkers ever read a Conan story in their life?

EDIT: That's it bastards. Funcom or those morons at Dark Horse will never see a penny from me again.

Last edited:

Grimlorn

Arcane

Jesus. They went and retardoed this immediately even when I gave them the benefit of doubt. Conan fighting with a statue of Mitra? Farkers ever read a Conan story in their life?
Well when Conan was King of Aquilonia worship of Mitra was the main religion. There was nothing about a change to Crom by the people and Conan didn't seem to care about which Gods people worshiped. Mitra has also favored or helped him in 1 or 2 stories at least.

Frusciante

Cipher
Project: Eternity
Well they are billions is an amazing game so not bad to be inspired by that. A versus mode would be nice though that I agree.

Grimlorn

Arcane
Well when Conan was King of Aquilonia worship of Mitra was the main religion. There was nothing about a change to Crom by the people and Conan didn't seem to care about which Gods people worshiped. Mitra has also favored or helped him in 1 or 2 stories at least.

Congrats for not understanding how the world of Conan works. There is *exactly* one story where Gods intervene and that too *very* indirectly. That story is the Black colossus where a statue of Mitra speaks to the Queen to get the first stranger on the streets to lead her armies. It is left unclear whether it is really the god or not (probably it is). Having a God as a gimmick in a stupid crating based "survival" game is fine. Bringing it into Conan's RTS is pretty damn stupid.
I know exactly how the world of Conan works. I've read all of REH's stories. If you thought they were going to be able to somehow translate that into a RTS game, then you're a fool. I knew something like this was coming.

The Great ThunThun*

How DARE you!?
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

Congrats for not understanding how the world of Conan works. There is *exactly* one story where Gods intervene and that too *very* indirectly. That story is the Black colossus where a statue of Mitra speaks to the Queen to get the first stranger on the streets to lead her armies. It is left unclear whether it is really the god or not (probably it is). Having a God as a gimmick in a stupid crating based "survival" game is fine. Bringing it into Conan's RTS is pretty damn stupid.
I know exactly how the world of Conan works. I've read all of REH's stories. If you thought they were going to be able to somehow translate that into a RTS game, then you're a fool. I knew something like this was coming.

They can very easily translate it into an RTS. Here is a treatment I pulled out of my ass in 5 mins:

Make it a squad based RTS. Conan leads a small band of fellow mercenaries in the early game. They join with Strabonus, Miserly King of Koth to fight against rebel prince Amalrus. But Strabonus deceives them, so they join Amalric, a General who leads a large mercenary company. Then the plot of Black Colossus happens. Conan then follows Amalric who leads the Mercenaries against Turan, harassing them, secretly supported by all Turan's neighbors who oppose it. Turan defeats them scattering the mercenaries. Conan joins the Pirates in the Vilayet against Turan, but then leaves or is again defeated by Turan. Brief Naval warfare interlude (plot of Black coast queen). Conan then leads Kushite tribesmen for a while, eventually traveling back North. Then the plot of Witch shall be born happens where Conan leads Zuagirs against the Usurpers of the Khauranian throne. He then joins the Zuagirs long term against Turan, eventually leading them in many campaigns. Eventually, trying to unite the Afghulis with Zuagirs (People of Black Circle) he is again thwarted and flees to Tortuga. Another Naval interlude with all the Piraty stuff. Then he rejoins Amalrus against Strabonus but is headily defeated. unperturbed he joins the Argossian army against Stygia, which is betrayed and then returns to Aquilonia. After this mostly the plot of Black river. Finally, Conan conquers Aquilonia and then fights all the battles in the later period. There, done. RTS with Conan.

People like you who have little creativity want giant statues where a perfectly serviciable plot already exists.

Grimlorn

Arcane
Don't think that could work and be satisfying. If it were more squad based, it should probably be turn based. I guess you could do real time, but it would probably have to function like an isometric RPG with real time combat. Problem is would you level up a bunch of men only to lose them and have to start over in between campaigns. Wouldn't be satisfying. Conan also never ran around with squads of men in most of the stories, it still technically wouldn't be true to Conan. Wizards are another thing as well as they're portrayed as something that are overpowered and can even kill Conan easily, but Conan typically gets lucky with circumstances and kills them in a split second before they can cast a spell that kills him.

One of the things that would be difficult to do with a game like this is to portray Conan how he was in between his quests. He gets rich from a quest, probably goes around drinking, gambling, paying women until he's broke and he moves on to the next city adventure. We also don't know how long he keeps the women around before leaving them.

bylam

Funcom
Developer
Congrats for not understanding how the world of Conan works. There is *exactly* one story where Gods intervene and that too *very* indirectly. That story is the Black colossus where a statue of Mitra speaks to the Queen to get the first stranger on the streets to lead her armies. It is left unclear whether it is really the god or not (probably it is).
True, but it is arguable that Phoenix on the Sword also has Mitra helping Conan via Epimetreus. Which is the second story I suspect Grimlorn was referring to.

Having a God as a gimmick in a stupid crating based "survival" game is fine. Bringing it into Conan's RTS is pretty damn stupid.

I don't like it (I also said that the giant spiders should be siege engines etc.) but I file this stuff under "the checklist" marketing people go through on every video. Giant monster? Check.

They can very easily translate it into an RTS. Here is a treatment I pulled out of my ass in 5 mins:

Make it a squad based RTS. Conan leads a small band of fellow mercenaries in the early game. They join with Strabonus, Miserly King of Koth to fight against rebel prince Amalrus. But Strabonus deceives them, so they join Amalric, a General who leads a large mercenary company. Then the plot of Black Colossus happens. Conan then follows Amalric who leads the Mercenaries against Turan, harassing them, secretly supported by all Turan's neighbors who oppose it. Turan defeats them scattering the mercenaries. Conan joins the Pirates in the Vilayet against Turan, but then leaves or is again defeated by Turan. Brief Naval warfare interlude (plot of Black coast queen). Conan then leads Kushite tribesmen for a while, eventually traveling back North. Then the plot of Witch shall be born happens where Conan leads Zuagirs against the Usurpers of the Khauranian throne. He then joins the Zuagirs long term against Turan, eventually leading them in many campaigns. Eventually, trying to unite the Afghulis with Zuagirs (People of Black Circle) he is again thwarted and flees to Tortuga. Another Naval interlude with all the Piraty stuff. Then he rejoins Amalrus against Strabonus but is headily defeated. unperturbed he joins the Argossian army against Stygia, which is betrayed and then returns to Aquilonia. After this mostly the plot of Black river. Finally, Conan conquers Aquilonia and then fights all the battles in the later period. There, done. RTS with Conan.

People like you who have little creativity want giant statues where a perfectly serviciable plot already exists.

I'd love to do this, but just from an asset perspective: Kothians, Turanians, Shemites, The Red Brotherhood, Zuagirs, Afghulis, Zingaran Freebooters, Argosseans, Stygians and Aquilonians. At least seven different terrain setups and both land and naval units for many of those cultures. That's a whole different budget level to what Petroglyph are working with.

Anyway, I'm not working on this apart from the occasional playtest internally, but I think it will appeal to people who like the niche. It's not for everyone.

bylam

Funcom
Developer
thank you for proving my point. Once again a *very* indirect intervention from the Gods.
Yeah but you said there was exactly one. If you agree this is an indirect one as well, that's two. :P

How about "Don't do that uncool thing".
I'm just assuming you've never worked with an actual marketing team. Plus...a lot of people like it.

Look, you want a good RTS/strategy game? that is all about unit variety, asymmetry in tactics and terrain design. You can not say that I will dump the core values and try to emphasize the lowest common denominator stuff. How do you expect to distinguish yourself as a developer and your game if you do that?

*I* want a good RTS game. But I am simply saying that in a world where games have budgets and somebody has to theoretically has to approve said budgets, you can't write a design that will cost far more than the potential upside.

The way it's going, it will end up being for No one. You will alienate the Niche audience who want Hyboria and you have already lost the RTS audience by making it another generic RTS.

I dunno, I suspect you are conflating the name recognition with the actual lore recognition. How many people have heard of Conan vs read the acutal REH stories?

I talk to people *all* the time about Conan and it is 90% Arnold, 7% Roy Thomas and maybe 3% REH fans. But in any case the "niche" I was referring to was not the Conan fans, but the RTS survival fans.

Grimlorn

Arcane
1) it won't be satisfying. That's like your opinion man, I would love to actually play as Conan through the actual adventures in the REH verse exploring the world as I go along. How many times has this been done again? Zilch. It will be *extremely* satisfying. This is what video games are for, Vicarious substitution, Read my sig.
Did you see my post on the previous page? I already said the same thing about a game where you play as Conan exploring Hyboria and going on adventures. But a RTS is not going to be satisfying. It would likely need to be an action game in first or third person.

True Conan is never alone, he usually has a partner, but you can't do a lot with strategy combat with a 2 man group. There are some campaigns alluded to in the stories when he leads men, and you could improvise what those are, but a RTS is never going to be satisfying because Conan was always about a Barbarian going on adventures alone or with a partner in an ancient world, exploring ancient ruins, getting into trouble, stealing riches, killing ape men or other monsters, overcoming absurd odds. Reminding men that civilization makes them weak.

sser

Arcane
Developer
I like it. The RTS genre is not what it used to be, traditional attempts frequently die on the vine, and AoE4 is looming anyway. It seems Petroglyph at the very least understands it needs to carefully navigate the genre and not just empty out a run of the mill title. Ignoring the 'adventuring barbarian' aspect, Conan is actually a pretty strong setting for the genre.

bylam

Funcom
Developer
How many recent RTS games can you count that actually were hits without a "remake/nostalgia" plug? I wonder if that has been taken in account,

This is all above my paygrade at Funcom, but I do know that They Are Billions which sold over 750k copies has been often quoted as a newer style of RTS that does quite well - with no name recognition.

External and Internal Projects usually only get greenlit if the business case makes sense.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom