Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ANTHEM - failed Destiny clone from BioWare

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I am playing right now. Restarting my PC helped (restarting Origin alone did not work).

J1M

Arcane
There's a demo for this coming out at the end of January for those who have pre-ordered. So you can try before you buy and refund it if it doesn't fit your tastes.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well, I really cannot tell, since the alpha is "strictly confidential" - to the point that your EA account login appears randomly on the screen every three seconds, so they can identify who made the screenshot/video. ;)

Seriously though, I will write some impressions later. Since this alpha is so time limited, I want to play as much as I can.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Well, I really cannot tell, since the alpha is "strictly confidential" - to the point that your EA account login appears randomly on the screen every three seconds, so they can identify who made the screenshot/video. ;)

Seriously though, I will write some impressions later. Since this alpha is so time limited, I want to play as much as I can.
You can tell us without screenshots :)

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
There are tons of screenshots and gameplay vids on the net from official events, everybody knows how the game looks and plays.

Personal impressions is what matters but the NDA prohibits even those. Then again it's not like EA reps are scouring the Codex looking for traitors.

On a related note they must've "overbooked" the alpha something fierce since I've been trying to log in for about 2 hours and no dice. I'm guessing all the slots are occupied by Kwans with their faster ping. Sonofabitch.

Gerrard

Arcane
I can tell you about the exploration of the options menu, because that's the only part of the game I was able to see.
Also
Freeze enemies to lock them in ice for a short duration.
PROTIP

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
How's this game only in Alpha? It releases in 2 months.

tumblr_inline_p0iir49QdB1r4gu4e_540.gif

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I guess that's that for now. Solo missions went fine, but as soon as the game wanted to put me in a multiplayer quest, I am getting "unable to connect to server" message.

The funny thing is, the same message pops up if I choose a "private" mission, but additionally the game freezes and needs to be killed via task manager. (lol)

My impressions so far: this is Mass Effect but:
- you play as Iron Man
- it has even less RPG elements (with skills such as "armor pickups give you +2% more armor" - we have literally hit rock bottom)
- setting is even more science-fantasy, with some of the technology being literally magic (Arthur C. Clarke's famous quote seems like big inspiration)
- presentation is superb, great graphics and sound

Writing is typical Bioware, with a mixture of epic, witty, cringy and annoying stuff thrown together, but it got me interested enough to keep playing (if I could).

If you guys have any question, fire on, but I literally only played the first tutorial missions, one section in the base and read some codex entries.

I am going back to playing Shadow of the Colossus. Will try to connect again later.
So what actual RPG elements does it really have?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

This was never marketed as RPG. That's actually the reason long-term Bioware fans are pissed. Their beloved dev is slaving away, making another lewter-shewter for EA instead of doing what they do best (relatively).

This is clearly a Destiny/Warframe killer, dreamt up in those ancient times when Destiny seemed like the stuff of the future and nobody had any conception of PUBG and Fortnite.

Last edited:

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

This was never marketed as RPG. That's actually the reason long-term Bioware fans are pissed. Their beloved dev is slaving away, making another lewter-shewter for EA instead of doing what they do best (relatively).

This is clearly a Destiny/Warframe killer, dreamt up in those ancient times when Destiny seemed like the stuff of the future and nobody had any idea of PUBG and Fortnite.
http://www.bioware.com/games/

"Anthem™ invites you to experience a co-operative Action-RPG set in a new and mysterious world from BioWare™ and EA."

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Derp, my bad.

Ok, got in, played for about an hour, wasn't overly impressed. Game's pretty, the shooting is solid, everything is tryple Ay. The flying is fucking godawful tho. Feels like piloting a Cesna without an engine, or wings, while being drunk. How anyone at Bioware thought this is fun is completely beyond me. Also chardev looks suspiciously limited and boring. Otherwise hard to say. I guess it can be successful if Bioware doesn't fuck up too bad since Destiny 2 is dead and Warframe, while awesome, is too idiosyncratic and quirky for the Average Joe crowd.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I know, who uses Origin, am I right?

Still. If you have any games there, be careful. Seems EA is not fooling around.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
So how exactly would that work? Some sort of EA crawler would sniff out this here Codex thread, automatically find out my IP (without the admins' knowing), then compare it to my library and blow it up?

That sounds like a completely ridiculous notion tbh.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You never know. Blizzard is known for stalking Twitter to ban people.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
So how exactly would that work? Some sort of EA crawler would sniff out this here Codex thread, automatically find out my IP (without the admins' knowing), then compare it to my library and blow it up?

That sounds like a completely ridiculous notion tbh.
More likely the streamer only had this one game in the account, and it was removed after he broke NDA (?).

But who knows, maybe EA has a farm of stalkers (or more likely bots) who comb the net searching for content with the word "Anthem" and cross-referencing the author with Origin account names. Wouldn't even surpise me.

Last edited:

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

2rzymi0.png

The comments are all negative. This game is gonna flop hard :lol: :lol:

A woman is a level designer....need I say more?

These companies need to show that they are progressive. So even if level design, game design or writing is shit. Then they can say "our game is shit. But at least we had women on the team." or it makes it easy to accuse people that dislike those games of being sexist etc. because it's a women that designed things. When in fact the game is just actually shit. It's a wonder they haven't called the characters xir, zhe or whatever the fuck people with regressive liberal syndrome are calling each other these days. One should never give women any say or accommodate them in any form at work. Because women ruin everything they touch.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom