Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Obsidian's new game is The Outer Worlds, a first-person sci-fi RPG set on a corporate space colony

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This is in no small measure due to New Vegas, which even most normies agree was superior to the Beth Fallouts.
No, they don't. Most normies prefer FO3 over F:NV. In fact, many didn't even play NV.
New Vegas sold more than F3.

Please stop being obtuse:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/504477/global-all-time-unit-sales-fallout-games/

Fallout 3 sold 1+ million units more than F3: NV.

Not surprising considering that Bethestards enjoyed F3 and F4 more than F3: NV. Just ask Makabb

I distinctly remember reading New Vegas selling a couple million more but I guess it shows how good my memory is. That's why I deleted my post after looking it up.
This may have been true eventually, but it wasn't the case by the end of New Vegas's final DLC https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...d-go-to-new-thread.72806/page-53#post-2740399
Knew it!

Fairfax

Arcane
These numbers are way too low (and don't mention a source). EEDAR's estimates from before FO4's launch put FO3 at 12.4 million and FNV at 11.6 million, though it's likely that their data from digital distribution was limited.

This may have been true eventually, but it wasn't the case by the end of New Vegas's final DLC https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...d-go-to-new-thread.72806/page-53#post-2740399
Probably still the case. The last Steamspy numbers were FNV at 5.1 million and FO3 GOTY edition at 2.4 million. FO3 was on GFWL before the GOTY edition was released in 2009, but it's still a massive difference.

Smejki

Larian Studios, ex-Warhorse
Developer
The downright fucking HILARIOUS: This is easily going to be Obsidian doing Bethesda better than Bethesda.
I don't mean to sound cocky but I think pretty much everybody who attempted to make a Bethesda game did better job than Bethesda.

Really!? Mention one Bethesda-like game which sold more than Skyrim or F4.
Yeah, because my point was about money made :roll:

Your point was about a "better job" which implies not only a quality game but a game which brings more money in the end.

Anyway I know what you mean but I guess I don't like the cocky attitude.
You are not wrong, technically. Implied are many thing, including the hardship of game development in Maryland, US of A. However I don't see how stating the super-obvious (that Bethesda is rich because the core formula is appealing, because they were first to make it, because they were the only one making it for many years, because they managed to build a massive modding community, and because they are extremely good at marketing) furthers the topic in any way. We're on the Codex, discussing RPG design. And maybe, just maybe, in the context of the recent F76 blunder, we might be talking about handling marketing well. But just maybe, because the reveal of Fallout 76 was received pretty well by the general public. Nobody gives a damn here whether Todd wipes his ass with 100 dolla bills while CD Projekt has to do with 100 złoty.
tl;dr this discussion is pointless so why have it? Why even start it?

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
The downright fucking HILARIOUS: This is easily going to be Obsidian doing Bethesda better than Bethesda.
I don't mean to sound cocky but I think pretty much everybody who attempted to make a Bethesda game did better job than Bethesda.

Really!? Mention one Bethesda-like game which sold more than Skyrim or F4.
Yeah, because my point was about money made :roll:

Your point was about a "better job" which implies not only a quality game but a game which brings more money in the end.

Anyway I know what you mean but I guess I don't like the cocky attitude.
You are not wrong, technically. Implied are many thing, including the hardship of game development in Maryland, US of A. However I don't see how stating the super-obvious (that Bethesda is rich because the core formula is appealing, because they were first to make it, because they were the only one making it for many years, because they managed to build a massive modding community, and because they are extremely good at marketing) furthers the topic in any way. We're on the Codex, discussing RPG design. And maybe, just maybe, in the context of the recent F76 blunder, we might be talking about handling marketing well. But just maybe, because the reveal of Fallout 76 was received pretty well by the general public. Nobody gives a damn here whether Todd wipes his ass with 100 dolla bills while CD Projekt has to do with 100 złoty.
tl;dr this discussion is pointless so why have it? Why even start it?

The discussion is pointless
rating_salute.gif

himmy

Arcane
Linking to random posts about people liking Fallout 3 more is what we call anecdotal evidence. All I know is that for some reason I joined like 20 Facebook Fallout groups and the consensus there seems to be that F:NV > F3. Pretty much everybody trying to argue otherwise is laughed at.

Let's not try to victimize ourselves by imagining that everybody outside the Codex is a slobbering idiot and this is some sort of ivory tower of superior taste. Actually, most games that are among the Codex classics enjoyed both high sales and critical acclaim.

That being said, this is not necessary representative for the taste regarding the entire genre, as an alarming number of people claim Oblivion is the best TES game of all time...

Smejki

Larian Studios, ex-Warhorse
Developer
Aren't New Vegas' steam reviews higher than F3's?
vep3dy.jpg

New Vegas on Steam exists in it's exclusive Czech-Polish-Russian microcosm so I only see this shit
mw4755.jpg

What are the numbers in the territory of Glorious West?

Linking to random posts about people liking Fallout 3 more is what we call anecdotal evidence. All I know is that for some reason I joined like 20 Facebook Fallout groups and the consensus there seems to be that F:NV > F3. Pretty much everybody trying to argue otherwise is laughed at.
This is basically true now; but it wasn't always. There was a big fanbase divide, kind of like the hoover dam divide, and there were definitely more Fallout 3 fans in most polls and posts, they were like Seizure's legion, great in number but inferior in equipment(Mental faculty in this case), slowly but surely with every debate shistorm(Which there were many) ending with a Bethesderp kid raging and leaving the group, FNV became known as the better game. It was basically meme warfare, Fallout 3 fans couldn't even breathe without earning one of these:
ed4.jpeg

Before the release of Fallout 4 there was still a good percentage of Fallout 3 fans, at least 50%, though they were mostly retards, young kids, and Mexicans.
With the release of Fallout 4, when people first saw Piper's deformed face stretching and skewing and even more so after they got ahold of the shitty lifeless game with all RPG elements stripped, loads of them turned on Bethesda.
As of Fallout 76, I'd say that the vast majority of the Fallout fanbase considers NV the better game.
You can barely read a reddit/youtube/Facebook thread relating to Fallout without someone(Usually the top comment) circlejerking over how much better F:NV is and how Bethesda should hand the franchise over to obsidian and kill themselves.

TL;DR:
Fallout 3 used to be considered the better game amongst the casual fans but F:NV won the great Fallout Popamole Meme wars.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Sorry to derail even more well, I am actually not but is this a real screenshot of a real dialogue option:

mgl3dhT.png

Nothing conveys a feeling of a faux late medieval time period better than calling someone "a single parent".

Fits the character portrait, though.

Last edited:
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
New Vegas on Steam exists in it's exclusive Czech-Polish-Russian microcosm so I only see this shit
mw4755.jpg

What are the numbers in the territory of Glorious West?
Turns out slavs aren't as appreciative as westerners.

The negative reviews are mostly tied to splitting the game into western and Ru versions which apparently makes people from Central/Eastern Europe unable to access the western community hub. IIRC it also broke some mods back in the day when it happened.

Deleted Member 22431

Probably still the case. The last Steamspy numbers were FNV at 5.1 million and FO3 GOTY edition at 2.4 million. FO3 was on GFWL before the GOTY edition was released in 2009, but it's still a massive difference.
And FO4 sold more than 12 million units. The number of units sold only shows they perfected the art of marketing. It has nothing to do with the reception of the game. Just look at the metacritic score of FO3 and FO4. The score of FO4 is lower, but the game sold much more.

Deleted Member 22431

Before the release of Fallout 4 there was still a good percentage of Fallout 3 fans, at least 50%, though they were mostly retards, young kids, and Mexicans.
With the release of Fallout 4, when people first saw Piper's deformed face stretching and skewing and even more so after they got ahold of the shitty lifeless game with all RPG elements stripped, loads of them turned on Bethesda.

Loads indeed.

Fallout 4 Surpasses Skyrim To Become Bethesda's Most Successful Game Ever
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/fallout-4-surpasses-skyrim-to-become-bethesdas-mos/1100-6447621/

"Fallout 4 has gotta be the most successful game we've ever launched in our company's history."

Fallout 4 has surpassed The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim to become the "most successful" game in publisher Bethesda's history.

Appearing on the Kinda Funny Gamecast, Bethesda marketing executive Pete Hines said, "Fallout 4 has gotta be the most successful game we've ever launched in our company's history. More than Skyrim, in terms of what we did."

Fallout 4 Ships 12 Million Copies in One Day, Breaks Records
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/fallout-4-ships-12-million-copies-in-one-day-break/1100-6432277/

Fallout 4's launch was a huge success. Bethesda announced today that the game shipped 12 million copies worldwide for launch day alone, "representing sales in excess of $750 million." In addition, the game is generating "record sales" at brick and mortar stores and across Xbox Live, PlayStation Network, and PC.

By comparison, the last game from Bethesda Game Studios,--2011's The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim--shipped 7 million copies in 48 hours to retailers and sold through 3.5 million to consumers during that period. As of January 2014, the game had sold through to consumers 20 million copies worldwide.

On Steam alone, Fallout 4 was the top-played game at launch, at one time reaching over 470,000 concurrent players. This blasted past a previous record held by Grand Theft Auto V. In addition, Bethesda claims the Fallout Pip-Boy app was the "number one game" on the iTunes App Store.

Finally, Bethesda said Fallout 4 set a new record to become the most-viewed game launch for any new game released so far this year.

Keep dreaming about your grognard revolution inside Bethesda franchises.

:hero:

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I wonder which game had the better units sold per available console/pc ratio.

The market had expanded or grown quite a bit since fo3 came out, you know.

Deleted Member 22431

Linking to random posts about people liking Fallout 3 more is what we call anecdotal evidence.
What a load of bull. Now we have to present scientific studies to state the obvious? It should be obvious by now that casual players ruin everything that’s good. They dislike stat/skill checks, nuanced characters, etc. I will start demanding you present proper data every time you said anything about whatever. Let’s see where this ultra rigorous epistemic standards lead us.

All I know is that for some reason I joined like 20 Facebook Fallout groups and the consensus there seems to be that F:NV > F3. Pretty much everybody trying to argue otherwise is laughed at.
Probably because that they are the only ones that care enough to join these groups in the first place. The bulk of the target audience just played these games on release and moved on. That’s called confirmation bias. If you pick a group that’s not representative of the target audience, you draw the wrong conclusions.

What a load of bull. Now we have to present scientific studies to state the obvious? It should be obvious by now that casual players ruin everything that’s good. They dislike stat/skill checks, nuanced characters, etc.

Not connected to F3 vs NV thing but you are wrong. Casual players don't influence much because they don't buy many games and don't play much anyway. What you are describing are simply dumb people. These people that demand easier, more flashy, more cinematic games? Oh, they buy and play a lot. They are just incredibly fucking dumb.

Deleted Member 22431

Casual players don't influence much because they don't buy many games and don't play much anyway. What you are describing are simply dumb people. These people that demand easier, more flashy, more cinematic games? Oh, they buy and play a lot. They are just incredibly fucking dumb.
On the contrary. The whole gaming industry caters to casual players. Whether casual players play less than obsessed gamers on average is irrelevant, because they are the ones paying the bills. Intelligent people may seem dumb if they are not knowledgable about a certain genre, or have certain expectations created by said ignorance. It has nothing to do with intelligence.

Alexios

Augur
Patron
Gaming, much like movies, is a mass market now. Didn't you see RDR2 was the single biggest entertainment launch of all time since GTA 5? Both are textbook popamole, but that's what the public loves: something that can offer hours of entertainment without challenging the player in the slightest. Even better that they can exploit the game to its fullest with microtransactions once multiplayer comes out. They don't even need to release it on PC for another two years, then all the retards will fawn over how "great" the graphics are.

Same reason why we get constant capeshit and Star Wars movies shoved down our throats.

Casual players don't influence much because they don't buy many games and don't play much anyway. What you are describing are simply dumb people. These people that demand easier, more flashy, more cinematic games? Oh, they buy and play a lot. They are just incredibly fucking dumb.
On the contrary. The whole gaming industry caters to casual players. Whether casual players play less than obsessed gamers on average is irrelevant, because they are the ones paying the bills. Intelligent people may seem dumb if they are not knowledgable about a certain genre, or have certain expectations created by said ignorance. It has nothing to do with intelligence.

You underestimate dumb people. They play butload of games, but don't learn anything about them, because they are morons. There are people who have 200+ hours clocked on vanilla Skyrim. Are they casual about their hobby? Hardly. Are they dumb as shit? Very much so. Just look at people like Dark Side Phil or your average game journalist.

Love

Cipher
Unlike the majority of the posters I had some hope for Underworld Ascendant taking the next steps in the developement of First Person RPGs. I can't get any hopes up for Obsidian because they already have a track record of dissapointing me. The trailer just seals the deal.

I have no clue though why the Codex is now cheering Obsididan beating Bethesda at their own game. Is that the new bar to reach for Obsidian fans?

The game is mostly under Tim Cain and Boyarsky anyway, and Patel and Starks are ok as secondary writers.

Stark seems to be a Cain hire, so that might raise hopes he's keeping an eye on her contribution.

But I don't even know what they're having all these creative writing majors for. They should be immediately fired, because I have had to read for over 15 years now how grown up video game stories will be with all these new writers competing with Hollywood and it has been one of the worst growing cancers in the industry.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
You underestimate dumb people. They play butload of games, but don't learn anything about them, because they are morons. There are people who have 200+ hours clocked on vanilla Skyrim. Are they casual about their hobby? Hardly. Are they dumb as shit? Very much so. Just look at people like Dark Side Phil or your average game journalist.

Skyrim is not the best example to use given that your average Codexer clocked atleast 100 hours playing that turd (which means they like the game no matter what excuse they use). Whether vanilla or modded is irrelevant.

The Bishop

Cipher
Looks like utter crap. But deep down we all knew it was going to turn out that way, didn’t we?
Doesn't look that bad to me. It's just... not very original. It's literally just bits and pieces from other popular titles of the last decade mashed together. I bet when Obsidian went to pitch this game to publishers they couldn't help to namedrop every relevant title they could think of. Not dissimilar to how they handled their kickstarter, except publishers have ways to ensure that they get exactly what was promised. So the devs ended up stuck gluing parts of other games together instead of developing their own.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Fallout 4 sold alot because of the positive brand effect of Skyrim, well, I can say Fallout 76 isnt exactly what I would call a positive brand effect generating game. Ubisoft discovered that with Watch Dogs, they made a half assed game that sold alot and then were royaly fucked on the sequel as people got fed up with the shit. The best case scenario for us is that Starfield will be a flop and Bethesda closes doors, the worst result for us is that Bethesda will need to invest ALOT more money than they expected on it to repair brand damage and won't be able to half ass it like they planned to do, the end result of both scenarios will be Bethesda's pain and that is pretty good for me.:smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom