Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Kenshi Released

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
It has lots of cool stuff in it. Like the way injuries are handled - you have bodyparts which have their own HP. It can go below 0, but then that bodypart is fucked. If it's torso, head or stomach you're KO when it passes KO level(dependant on your toughness). If it's limb it will be useless(forcing you to switch to 1h weapon or try to fight from the ground) if it passes negative threshold for given creature/race it falls off triggering massive bleeding(you can get robotic limb to replace it, but one faction will attack you on sight if you have anything robotic). Torso, head, stomach and blood going below that threshold cause death. Of course wounded bodyparts carry penalties like legs will reduce your running speed(causing you to limp) while torso will reduce your strength. You have to bandage the wounds(or else they'll degrade) and then they heal... slowly.

It sounds boring but it means that bigger fights end up with hordes of characters slowly dying after being KO'd and not healed, some of them that managed to regain consciousness but were bleeding out because of for instance cut off legs will crawl away from combat leaving trail of blood until they collapse completely, tons of limbs lying everywhere etc. etc.

Nowadays I don't give a fuck and play the game with 5x exp multiplier mod, fuck the early game grind.

Repressed Homosexual
Tried multiple times getting into the game.

It sounds marvellous in theory.
But all you do in practice is run around for hours on end in an almost completely empty world, digging some rocks for materials and selling them. Speeding up the game as high as you can, but it is still all so tedious.
Or following some guards around to pick up the trash they leave behind after fights (because you suck so much at the beginning, you really shouldn't fight).

To get to any kind of interesting gameplay with building your own base, etc. you probably have to play for weeks.
I don't see why anyone would enjoy this. The graphics are also... let's say they demand quite a struggle against your inner graphics whore.

What did I tell you guys.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Didn't this used to be like $10-15 in early access? Anyway, it's funny that the 'negatives' people seem to be throwing out above are what appeal to me. As someone said, it kind of sounds like early game Gothic 1/2 which -- quite frankly -- is the best part of those games. Can't fight? Then you need to scavenge, loot after other parties fight. Stuff like that is more interesting to me than typical hack/slash/loot paradigms.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tried multiple times getting into the game.

It sounds marvellous in theory.
But all you do in practice is run around for hours on end in an almost completely empty world, digging some rocks for materials and selling them. Speeding up the game as high as you can, but it is still all so tedious.
Or following some guards around to pick up the trash they leave behind after fights (because you suck so much at the beginning, you really shouldn't fight).

To get to any kind of interesting gameplay with building your own base, etc. you probably have to play for weeks.
I don't see why anyone would enjoy this. The graphics are also... let's say they demand quite a struggle against your inner graphics whore.

What did I tell you guys.
Except the world's not empty, crafting isn't a requirement unless you really want to build an army, and you don't need a bajillion amount of different materials to craft shit.

Last edited:

Tovias

Learned
People expecting to be introduced to a story, campaign or some linear quest line in the game will be disappointed. The game is all about the story you can make about yourself and how the world reacts to it. Not to say that YOU CAN DO ANYTHING!11! or that sort of ridiculous promise but it's quite open to what kind of story you wish to build around your character. It also has a great sense of exploration and probably one of the most alien like settings. Roaming the north and south extremes was honestly pretty damn cool and you are bound to meet plenty of rare encounters here and there that will make for a good story to convince someone to play the game. Although that might be a spoiler.

Deleted Member 22431

it's quite open to what kind of story you wish to build around your character.
I attacked a dude and he competely destroyed me, and then put me in chains. Now I'm his slave and I need to escape, no matter what! Choice and consequences...

:dealwithit:

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Didn't this used to be like $10-15 in early access? Anyway, it's funny that the 'negatives' people seem to be throwing out above are what appeal to me. As someone said, it kind of sounds like early game Gothic 1/2 which -- quite frankly -- is the best part of those games. Can't fight? Then you need to scavenge, loot after other parties fight. Stuff like that is more interesting to me than typical hack/slash/loot paradigms.

I can see why you might think that, but it really feels nothing like early game Gothic, which has a much faster sense of progression.

Tovias

Learned
I'm not opposed to a pure sandbox but there doesn't seem to be much to do. No one in town gave me any kind of job or offered any advice. The roaming bandit packs seem to discourage exploration.
I can't think of a case where an NPC will give you a job, you need to look for it yourself. The most simple job you can get early on is a miner, which is not the most thrilling to be honest, but a day of minning copper can help you a lot. You can probably outrun a bandit pack if you are alone, but I'd advice you to just avoid them by sneaking around or leaing them towards a city guard or patrol. There is always gonna be a risk exploring, you will probably lose a limb or two but through that same failure your character will grow in a way. Check the stat descriptions and you will see how getting your face remodeled by a club actually helps you.
Just don't get caught on the ground by slavers, ever.
EDIT: I forgot to mention this one since I rarely stay on Holy Nation territory but if you follow around the patrols that wipe out river raptors, you can sell their hide for 200 or so cats, which is actually more than copper. So if you are a white human male, you can do that.

Last edited:

Deleted Member 22431

These complaints about lack of story don't do the factions of the game any justice. Just to quote a few:

United Cities

The United Cities (A.K.A. The Empire) is a very large faction that controls large portions of land across the continent. They are a highly corrupt empire, and monetary worth is the prime measure of a person in their culture. So much so, that being poor and hungry is a crime that can get you arrested. The drug Hashish is highly illegal, and the samurai guards are obsessed with purging it from their streets. This does make whatever amount gets through highly valuable though...

Slavery is an important pillar of their empire, providing food and material. Anti-slavery ideologies are considered extremist perspectives, and treated as a form of terrorism. Another pillar is the Trader's Guild. The guild brings their cities great wealth and prosperity. They have advanced technologies, higher quality equipment, and valuable luxuries imported from distant lands.

The Holy Nation

The Holy Nation is a large faction that controls a notable portion of the north central lands of Kenshi. They are ruled by a "Phoenix" whom they believe to be a reincarnation of their first ruler. They have a very dominant religion centered on a deity named Okran.

They are a xenophobic and zealous people who will openly attack other races, women, or anyone who does not agree with their religious beliefs. They are significantly opposed to technology and science and are very hostile towards skeletons. However, they can be friendly and helpful to male Humans, often giving food or medical supplies to those in need.

It is speculated that the Holy nation originated from the second empire. forming as a cult under the watchful eye of their overlord. eventually the second empire cracked down on the cult, but instead of quashing it they only gave the survivors more reason to hate them. its likely that the cult emigrated north to a more hospitable land. creating the foundations of the Holy Empire, and fueling their hatred of skeletons.

The Shek Kingdom

Home to the Shek, the Shek Kingdom is a faction headed by Queen Esata the "Stone Golem". They follow the teachings and lifestyle of Kral, a legendary Shek warrior who consolidated the Shek tribes into a centralized nation hundreds of years ago. Shek society is divided into two castes, warriors and servants, the latter of whom are often defeated or cowardly warriors whom fill the niche of skilled/menial work.
Shek Territory
Map depicting the approximate Shek territory, Stenn Desert and part of the Border Zone.
The Shek believe that dying in battle is the most honourable way to die, and by living the way of the warrior they can pass on to the afterlife known as Gateway, a spiritual kingdom where all the great heroes reside. This makes for strong and fearless warriors, but lowers their population growth. In fact, this somewhat suicidal mindset has been steadily dwindling their population, a cause which Queen Esata has been trying to reverse with help of her aide, Bayan.

Mighty Shek warriors form the Hundred Guardians and are given battle names to support their honour. While the strongest are given a place in the Invincible Five. They can be currently found inside the Faction HQ building of Admag.

Machinists

The University of Machinists is an organization of scholars who have dedicated themselves to researching the history of the world, and recovering lost technologies to share with others in an effort to improve the lives of others. They put the information into Books, which allows them to spread the knowledge easily. They are based in the town of World's End.

They are headed by Finch, a brilliant Hive Prince scientist. His assistant, a Skeleton named Iyo, deals with outsiders for the university, though he's pretty intelligent in his own right. They have a close relation with the Tech Hunters. As the scientists are not usually capable of surviving the hostile world outside, they handle the dangerous tasks of collecting the artifacts and scouring the ruins.

Slave Traders

Slave Traders is a faction of practitioners of Slavery, and they have close ties to most factions that engage in its practice. Including The Holy Nation and the United Cities. They run several outposts of their own in the world, ranging from markets, to farms and mines. The player can sell captives to the slavers found in certain places in order to make some extra money.

Brozef

Savant
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The factions sound great!
I can't believe the game actually released. I totally forgot about it. Shame that I have no time whatsoever right now, but it should be a top priority. Maybe it can scratch that M&B itch that Battle Brothers failed to satisfy.

I also really like the aesthetic, reminds me of a cross between Zeno Clash and Fallout.

Deleted Member 22431

A part of the world map

latest

Deleted Member 22431

The factions sound great!
Here, a few more:

The Shinobi Thieves

The Shinobi Thieves act as fences and smugglers in the world of Kenshi. They are usually found in bars or walking from one bar to another. You can pay 10,000 cats to join their organization, and that generally makes them friendly to you (green), gives you access to their towers, and Wandering Assassins that are part of the guild will heal you if you are injured near one.

They live in towers located in various cities, so if you do not see them in the bars, check the towers for possible shinobi activity. These tower hideouts contains a fence / trader (25k carried, various uncommon equipment and items sold), assassination dummies (assassination training, Mk. I & II), Training chests (Lock-pick training, Mk. I & II) and beds.

The Cannibals

The Cannibals are a group of tribal humans native to the Cannibal Plains and other surrounding zones.

Currently, Cannibals will knock unconscious and carry members of other factions and the player to their camp or village. When the cages start to get full, they will start periodically beating their prisoners to death, and throwing them into the cooking pits.

They will not eat Skeletons, but they are still hostile to them.

The Swampers

The Swampers faction comprises the denizens of The Swamp, often not aligned to any one gang in particular. A collection of outcasts, outlaws, exiles, and criminals, their society has a very violent dog-eat-dog nature. Street fights are not uncommon, breaking out over even trivial slights or offences.

They are run by a set of five gang clans, the Twinblades, the Grayflayers, the Stone Rats, Blackshifters and the Hounds. Each gang is led by one of the "Big Bosses", and generally stick to their own kinds of activities ranging from smuggling to extortion to kidnapping. They often compete for power within the hierarchy, and currently the gangs are led by Big Grim from the Hounds gang.

The Hounds

The Hounds are one of the gangs from The Swamp, and the most powerful of them. They are the primary Hemp growers, which is the main ingredient of Hashish, an illegal narcotic substance, and are drug smugglers by trade. Their leader Big Grim is purportedly very insane, but was smart enough manipulate all the other clans to bring the Hounds to the top.

The Anti Slavers

The Anti Slavers are a faction led by the legendary Tinfist that fight against United Cities huge use of slave workforce. They don't use weapons and are instead all extremely skilled Martial Arts fighters.

They have fighters from all kind of races including Hivers, Skeletons, Sheks and Humans.

Nomads

Nomads are a faction of Human wanderers and animal herders. Non-hostile and generally content to just tend to their animals, they can be found in places such as Dreg and the Hidden Forest.

Owns several camps, which are free for the player to use, usually containing shelter from rain, a campfire, and a Camp bed. They travel with a small pack of Goats and a Pack Beast which provides light.

Deleted Member 22431

Sounds just as boring and pointless as M&B. I guess this game caters to explorefags that even Bethesda shit was not enough for.
Why, because you are not coerced to a path dictated by the geniuses of cRPG writing "profession"? Unlike a Bethesda game, Kenshi has tons of detailed mechanics, and unexpected events that make the game world alive and rewarding. The world is not a passive theme park, and it imposes upon you and will bite you back.

Kitchen Utensil

Reading about the game is fascinating, but watching just 5 minutes of gameplay is enough to make me never want to touch this. It looks like an extremely boring grindfest.

Deleted Member 22431

Reading about the game is fascinating, but watching just 5 minutes of gameplay is enough to make me never want to touch this. It looks like an extremely boring grindfest.
Watching any kind of LP is a boring grindfest.

SUP, MY NIGGRESES! It's ya boy. Here with Part XXI of my Kenshi playthrough. In our last episode we mined for Iron to craft a dagger. This time we're blowing it all wide open by mining for gold that we can sell. Much welsh coal miner you guys!

ArchAngel

Arcane
SUP, MY NIGGRESES! It's ya boy. Here with Part XXI of my Kenshi playthrough. In our last episode we mined for Iron to craft a dagger. This time we're blowing it all wide open by mining for gold that we can sell. Much welsh coal miner you guys!
Minecraft for autists.

Deleted Member 22431

How many cRPGs let you roleplay as a slave trader or a slave? Can you do this in Minecraft? Of course you can't.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom