Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Operencia: The Stolen Sun is an upcoming turn-based dungeon crawler by a Hungarian pinball developer

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Operencia: The Stolen Sun; Zen Studios

A few years ago, due to the runaway success of the original Legend of Grimrock, it seemed like a new blobber was being announced every other month. That success largely failed to repeat itself, so it's a surprise to encounter a new one in late 2018, coming right after the failure of Bard's Tale IV. Especially when it's being made by Zen Studios, a Hungarian developer best known for their pinball adaptations. The game's title is Operencia: The Stolen Sun, and it's a turn-based dungeon crawler with a setting based on Hungarian folklore and mythology. It actually looks rather pretty, although some will disapprove of the apparent absence of party creation. As usual, here's the announcement trailer and Steam page description:

Zen Studios’ modern homage to classic first-person dungeon-crawlers takes you to the land of Operencia, an unconventional fantasy world inspired by a faraway land referenced in countless Central European folktales. An old-school turn-based battle system combines with inspiration from unexplored mythology to offer an RPG experience that feels unique yet also familiar.

A Tale for the Ages
An unknown force has abducted the Sun King Napkiraly, leaving Operencia in a state of perpetual darkness – and eventual doom. From hidden royal tombs and cursed castles to an ascent up the World Tree to reach the Copper Forest of the Land of the Gods, explore diverse settings throughout the far reaches of the land…and beyond. Each location boasts its own unique atmosphere, visual style, level design and puzzles, and many take place entirely outdoors.

Where History Meets Legend
Operencia is home to an intriguing mix of unexplored mythology and fantastical versions of actual historical locations (e.g., Deva Fortress, Balvanyos) and characters (e.g., Attila, Seven Chieftains of the Magyars), all coming together to form one cohesive new gaming universe. Several of your own seven party members take influence from heroes of forgotten tales told hundreds of years ago, such as the brave knight Mezey and Sebastian the Dragon Slayer.

Classic Gameplay and Exploration
Along with a deeply strategic turn-based battle system full of spells and special skills to execute, tile-based movement encourages thorough exploration of each area. For added challenge, turn on Cartographer mode to plot out each of the 13 maps yourself. How many secrets will you find?

Beautiful Presentation
Breathtaking hand-drawn cutscenes and fabulous 2D character portraits bring the story to life in a style not easily compared to any other game. More than 30 colorful roles are fully voiced through top-tier performances authentic to the game’s Central European roots.

Other Key Features
  • Explore 13 diverse, puzzle-filled levels
  • Defeat more than 50 enemy types
  • Switch between 7 fully upgradable – and memorable – characters
  • Robust difficulty settings allow you to select options such as limiting saves, implementing permadeath, and disabling auto-mapping to create your own
  • Stunning visuals powered by Unreal Engine 4
  • An epic orchestral score composed by Arthur Grosz
  • Fully 3D environments, enemies and objects, plus high-fidelity advanced effects with dynamic shadows and lighting
  • AAA Indie production quality and polish with top-tier voice acting, soundtrack, cutscenes and writing

Zen Studios' goal is to create Hungary's own "Witcher moment". I really don't think they're going to achieve that with this game, but hey, might as well put those pinball bucks to good use. You can read more about Operencia on the game's official website. It's supposed to come out sometime next year.

Lhynn

Arcane
Looks pretty good. I generally dislike blobbers but i want to try it.

This isn't normally my style of game, but I am intrigued. Combat looks decent and exploration look interesting. I get the sense that this was made with care. Then again, I could just be naive. Time for another drink!

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Fingers crossed this turns out well. It looks well optimized which is probably one of the most important things when it comes to how good a 3D game looks and feels, but gameplay footage is required to really make a judgement.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Cool, nice to see hungarian brothers and sisters making a new game.

Also this is a bit funny: "An unknown force has abducted the Sun King Napkiraly" - Sun King actually means Napkiraly in hungarian, so this is like saying Sun King Sun King. Or an RPG Game.

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
It doesn't look very interesting, and I fail to sense any passion behind their pitch. I know it's too early to tell, but looks like at most it could become a competent yet uninspired and mainstream-friendly nostalgic game, not unlike Legend of Grimrock.

But I wish them luck anyways, the world needs more non-Japanese turn-based blobbers.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Feels like what Bard's Tale IV should have been. The trailed already showed more variety and interesting environments than what Fargo & InXile did with 10M dollars. :shittydog:

YEP! It’s main purpose is to bitch slap Fargo with shame. And it will. Muhahahahahaha!
:evilcodex:

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
This looks.... surprisingly good. As if the territory of decent games now started with CD Projekt and stretched eastwards.

Last edited:

grimace

Arcane
Do the creators mention Wizardry 8 as a source of inspiration?

apparent absence of party creation

A game having scripted moments and voice acting adds to the production value. Character creation would make the player character dialogue more difficult to design.

Shadenuat

Arcane
absence of party creation
zGHQb4O.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom