Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What games did you complete in 2018?

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I managed to finish a handful of games this year and even offset Telltale ones with couple of open world titles:

Minecraft: Story Mode – A Telltale Games Series
Surprisingly not terrible the way I expected it to be, but then again I didn't know much about Minecraft. That filler episode with features streamers and whatnot can go die in a fire, though.

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
Sailing is the main attraction yet I was also disappointed by among the worst on-foot sections. Way too many eavesdrop this guy, follow that guy, etc. Minimal protagonist customization as well. Casual pirate game for people who can't cut it with actual simulations.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
What does one even say about Witcher 3 anymore? Is it perfect? Hell no and it has some really apparent flaws, but I still enjoyed it. Both pieces of DLC were outstanding. I wish CDPR leaned more on Gothic school of thought over "modern open world" one.

Epistory - Typing Chronicles
Odd game out. I can't type worth shit and still scored above average WPM. I liked the foldout paper art style it employed.

The Walking Dead: A New Frontier
The Walking Dead game that did not need to be made. Played it to see where Clementine's story was going. I wish I could take those couple of hours back.

Assassin's Creed Rogue
Ironically this turned out to be a superior version of Black Flag for me. It's shorter and has less content overall, but its story had relevance to Assassins vs Templars metaplot and on-foot sections weren't as annoying. Add to that familiar sailing and you have a pretty surprising entry. Shame it clearly played second fiddle to Unity.

Syndicate
I'm going to pretend this has nothing to do with the original. Once you get past the BLOOM eye cancer and WUB WUB soundtrack it's rather solid. Fast paced action once everything clicks together. Kinda wish legit interesting setting was expanded a bit more past the database itself.

So turns out I haven't played many RPGs, old or new, because I dedicated 2/3 of the time to Assassin's Creed games of all things. 2019 will be better. Can't be any worse.

928.gif

The Great ThunThun*

How DARE you!?
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Pathfinder Kingmaker. After 18K restarts. Absolutely one of the best games I have played ever. It is Game: The game. No gimmicks, all bread, and no cream. It just works as a package, everything nicely fits together and it has enormous replay potential. Can't believe I can say this in 2018.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Badass game, one of the most easily likable main characters in some time and I personally quite liked the combat. It was a much different approach and you feel yourself become progressively better at it organically. I think it lends itself better to one on one confrontations though. Great historical setting, gorgeous visuals, extremely immersive and a gripping tale all the way to the end. Additionally, the pickpocketing mini-game may be my favourite interpretation of pickpocketing ever done in a game.

Pathfinder: Kingmaker - I'm not done, done, but I'm nearing the final chapters and it will be done soon enough. Boy, what a pleasant surprise this one came out to be. I initially didn't give a fuck about this game and thought it was going to be an overly safe, bland and forgettable entry into the CRPG library. Instead it has become perhaps my favourite of the Kickstarter era especially when matched against its immediate competition. If your game has this amount of bugs swarming it and yet I still really want to play it and go so far to make new characters to pass the time while awaiting patches, then your game is good. The best part about Kingmaker is how it comes off like a game that should have been made in the late '90s-early '00s.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
  • Avernum 3: Ruined World - Vogelware!
  • Star Wars: The Old Republic - wrote a full review in the thread. It's better than it used to be, though I still wouldn't call it good. Still, I somehow enjoyed it enough to play through six Class Stories and all the expansions, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. Lana is the best girl.
  • Final Fantasy XV - I get that everyone else hated this, and to be fair the main characters and the story weren't great. I liked the combat (in RTWP mode) and the world though, so I enjoyed it overall. Iris is the best girl.
  • Mortal Kombat 9 and X - These were the first games I played when I started getting into fighting games, I figured that being made by and for Baka Gaijin they'd be the easiest to learn. The stories aren't great but the gameplay is fun, I like how many of the characters have supernatural abilities to differentiate them from each other. D'vorah is the best girl.
  • Subnautica - survival games have never appealed to me before, but Subnautica's unique setting made it stand out. I enjoyed this game a lot, never gonna forget the first time I was driving my dinky little Seamoth through the lightless depths when a Ghost Leviathan appeared right in front of me.
  • Guilty Gear Xrd: SIGN and Revelator - the story is nonsensical but I like the aesthetic and music a lot. Dizzy is the best girl.
I'll probably be done with Nier: Automata by the end of the year, and maybe Soulcalibur 6's single player though the multiplayer is much more fun for me (also, Xianghua is the best girl).

Next Year's to-play list:
Atelier *: The Alchemist(s) and the Mysterious *
The Legend of Heroes: Trails *
Nu-Prey
Disc Operating System 2
Pathfucker: Kangmaker
Maybe give Twitcher 3 another try (did they ever fix the controls?)

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm done with the first character story in Odin Sphere Leifdrasir. Going to take a small break from that and play Icewind Dale 2.

Epsilon

Cipher
I've not really been playing modern games, aside from maybe Rimworld. Games I've replayed and completed again are Heroes of Might and Magic III, Gothic II: NoTR, Fallout 2, Arcanum, and a few runs of Master of Magic and OpenXcom. Most of the time I'm playing CataclysmDDA, which can't really be completed. Doom 1+2 have been completed multiple times with various wads. And a few megawads as well.
I want to complete Pillars of Eternity and play Pillars 2, but it's hard finding the will.

Last edited:

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Nier: Automata. Surprisingly (to me at least, I've never heard of Nier before it, I don't know shit about console games in general) good game, combat is often a little janky but it's expected from a console port when played with mouse+keyboard and setting it up with mods to run smoothly and not look like garbage was a chore but other than that the game is great, the writing is good to great, the music is great, it looks good, gameplay is not phenomenal but not bad either and it's varied enough with regular fights, bosses and shmup sections, I love lots of little things about it, like hidden lore tidbits and sidequests, things unlocked by hacking, or the game messing with the ui for gameplay and story reasons.
or the game deleting all your saves after asking nicely

... and that's it :negative: I've been too busy for most of the year to play many games that require time.

I've played Blackguards 1 since I got that on sale for basically nothing, it's a lot more fun than I expected but it got too easy and I wanted to start again on hard difficulty but haven't got to it yet and probably won't for a while. Played some Grim Dawn, it's not bad but has annoying level scaling and it gets pretty easy even on hardcore but I'll probably start that again eventually. I also replayed Cuphead.

I aim to play Pathfinder: Kingmaker after Christmas but IRL stuff might get in the way, as it often does.

EverlastingLove

Learned
  • Portal 1
  • Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines (Clan Quest Mod 4.0)
  • Shadow Warrior 2 (I can't believe I managed to finish this one)
  • Jagged Alliance 2
  • Deus Ex
  • Ultima Underworld 1
  • Dark Messiah of Might and Magic
  • Knights of The Old Republic 1&2
  • SWAT 4
  • Wasteland 2: Director's Cut
  • Half-Life 2
  • NOLF
  • Rime

Epsilon

Cipher
  • Portal 1
  • Jagged Alliance 2
  • Deus Ex
  • Ultima Underworld 1
  • SWAT 4
  • Half-Life 2
  • NOLF
  • Rime
Ultima Underworld! Thats a good one, I'll play that next :D

waterdeep

Learned
ELEX
Cataclysm: DDA
Divinity Original Sin 2
Underrail
Pathologic
Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Legend of Grimrock 2
Hitman 2018
Card Quest
Resident Evil 7
Kingdom Come: Deliverance
Frostpunk
Fallout Nevada

Replays: Ultima IV+VII, X-COM, Fallout 2, Eye of the Beholder, Deus Ex, Chaos Theory, REmake, RE2, The Witcher, Dragons Dogma, Dead Space 1+2, VTMB, Gothic 1+2, Max Payne 1+2, Wizardry 6, HoMM3, MM6+7, Space Rangers

Merry Christmas.

Vlajdermen

Arcane
Off the top of my head:
Planescape: Torment
Shadowrun: Dragonfall
Beavis and Butt-head in Virtual Stupidity
God of War 1 and 2
Serious Sam (which I beat twice before but this was the first time on hard)
Alpha Protocol
Sonic Adventure 2 HD
ELEX
Eventide: Slavic Fable
Duke Nukem 3D
Also hoping to beat Underrail, I'm 25 hours in. Merry Christmas.

sullynathan

Arcane
Year is almost over. Just finished Monster Hunter World. Destiny & Red Dead Redemption 2 could almost make it in 2018 too.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I wrote down a 55 game list before. I have added 5 more games to my completion list.

56. Full Throttle Remastered - 4h (PC)
57. Distraint - 2h (PC)
58. Black The Fall - 1.5h (PC)
59. Ollie & Bollie's Outdoor Estate - 0.5h (PC)
60. Regency Solitaire - 8h (PC)

Hoping to add The Witcher EE and Mother Russia Bleeds to the list before the end of 2018.

ortucis

Prophet
None, just like most of 2017..

Right now I am closer to finishing Underrail though, but probably in 2019.

Add Resident Evil 1 Remaster as Jill to my paltry list. Currently replaying as Chris on Hard, hopefully done before the end of the year.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Hitman 2, Pathfinder, Spellforce 3, Kingdom Come were the only decent games I played iirc.

Monkey Baron

Arbiter
Patron
I helped put crap in Monomyth
RPGS:
  • Planescape Torment
  • Fallout 2
  • Deus Ex
  • Dark Souls 3
  • Vampire The Masquerade - Bloodlines (Tremere)
  • LISA - this game is a really well written Earthbound tribute. It's very dark with really good humor. I was really surprised by how good it turned out to be.
Others:
  • Dead Secret - Awful but it was short so I finished it.
  • Pony Island
  • I have no mouth, and I must scream - wonderful game. I had never played it before, and the short story was a fun read too.
  • POSTAL 2 (and Paradise Lost) - I played the base game in 2015 when the DLC was announced because I had no idea I could purchase it on Steam (it's banned in my country.) I don't know why (and for some reason I can't remember much of playing this game) but I had enough fun to replay the base game along with finishing the DLC.
  • The Sexy Brutale
  • VA-11 Hall-A - Awful weeb waifu simulator but I finished it for some reason.
  • Black Mesa
Right now I'm finishing up The Witcher 2.

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
Started some two dozens games (most of which were new for me), actually finished merely two so far - Tactics Ogre and Fallout. Also did a couple of successful runs in DCSS.

Dux

Arcane
I really had to strain my memory and do some cross-checking for all this bullshit. Growing old and senile is the best!

:negative:

Aliens vs Predator Classic - :4/5:
Aliens vs Predator 2010 - :2/5:
Alone in the Dark - :4/5:
Delta Force - :3/5:
Delta Force 2 - :3/5:
Delta Force: Land Warrior - :3/5:
Die by the Sword - :4/5:
Divinity 2 - :3/5:
Doom II - :5/5:
Final Doom - :4/5:
Fallout 2 - :4/5:
Freespace - :4/5:
Gold Box: Pool of Radiance - :5/5:
Gold Box: Curse of the Azure Bonds - :4/5:
Gold Box: Secret of the Silver Blades - :3/5:
Gold Box: Pools of Darkness - :3/5:
Gold Box: Gateway to the Savage Frontier - :4/5:
Heroes of Might and Magic IV - :3/5:
Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II - :4/5:
Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II - Mysteries of the Sith - :4/5:
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver - :3/5:
MDK - :3/5:
Might & Magic VIII - :3/5:
Might & Magic IX - :2/5:
Mafia 2 - :3/5:
Neverwinter Nights: Hordes of the Underdark - :3/5:
Outcast 1.1 - :4/5:
Outlaws - :5/5:
Return to Castle Wolfenstein - :4/5:
Risen - :4/5:
Risen 2: Dark Waters - :2/5:
Risen 3: Titan Lords - :2/5:
Shattered Steel - :3/5:
Sid Meier's Pirates! - :3/5:
Simon the Sorcerer - :5/5:
Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds - :3/5:
Stargunner - :3/5:
Star Wars: Dark Forces - :4/5:
Star Wars: X-Wing - :4/5:
Strife - :4/5:
Stronghold - :5/5:
SWAT 3 - :4/5:
Thief - :5/5:
Tyrian 2000 - :4/5:
Unreal - :4/5:
Wing Commander - :5/5:
Wing Commander III - :5/5:
X-Wing: Alliance - :3/5:
Zeus: Master of Olympus - :4/5:

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
Zeus: Master of Olympus - :4/5:
What can you say about Caesar III, Pharaoh and Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom? I've played only Caesar III and would like to know how the other games compare with it.

Last edited:

Astral Rag

Arcane
The ones I can remember right now:

Nox (replay)
Tender Loving Care
Ignition
Dark Earth (replay)
Dungeon Keeper (replay)
Theme Hospital (replay)
Witcher 3
Kathy Rain
Sparkle 2
Ducktales Remastered
Carmageddon (replay)
FEAR (replay)
Jazz Jackrabbit 1 (replay)
Fallout 1.5
Tyrian (replay)
Jydge
Jill of the Jungle (replay)
Monkey Island 1 (replay)
Indiana Jones and the fate of Atlantis (replay)
Sam and Max (replay)
Unavowed
Alice Madness Returns (replay)
Muri (replay)
a bunch of Blood, Quake and Doom levels and campaigns

Also played a lot of GRIP, F1 2013 (classic cars only), Assetto Corsa and some Dirt Rally.

Last edited:

EverlastingLove

Learned
  • Portal 1
  • Jagged Alliance 2
  • Deus Ex
  • Ultima Underworld 1
  • SWAT 4
  • Half-Life 2
  • NOLF
  • Rime

I have also finished System Shock, great game :5/5:

Dux

Arcane
What can you say about Caesar III, Pharaoh and Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom? I've played only Caesar III and would like to know how the other games compare with it.

Pharaoh feels like a natural continuation to Caesar III while still retaining its own identity and flair, adding some much needed improvements such as roadblocks and whatnot. In my opinion it is a rock solid entry in the Impressions Games series and offers a long and rich campaign. Emperor, on the other hand, I have no idea. I have it in my library but I haven't played it yet. I believe it was well-received by fans but that's all I know.

Astral Rag

Arcane
Just completed the Cold War campaign of Toy Soldiers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom