Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

Flou

Arbiter
If they currently have multiple projects ongoing, in addition to Outer Worlds and Deadfire DLCs. It should mean that at least one of the projects is smaller project. Otherwise they are running out of staff members.
It's Deadfire DLC, Outer Worlds, and Chris Parker's Skyrim.

Would they need Network Programmers for Parker's Skyrim though?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Would they need Network Programmers for Parker's Skyrim though?
Well why not add multiplayer? They have the money. Stormlands was going to have multiplayer (until it didn't until it did).

Pegultagol

Erudite
Sawyer's next project
EZgtmqI.png

j/k

agris

Arcane
Patron
Tigranes I haven't used the OE forums in years, but christ that place is full of sycophants. How did you moderate there for so long?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Spotted by Ethics Gradient on the Obsidian forums - Dark Rock Industries Limited, the shell company that the Obsidian owners created to house the Pillars of Eternity IP, has been folded back into Obsidian (and thus Microsoft): https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/1...-the-pillars-of-eternity-franchise/?p=2121573

Ethics Gradient said:
The paperwork is still fresh after the merger, but it looks like DRIL no longer exists as an independent entity.
It may take a little while before all the records are updated, but OEI and DRIL each show unspecified merger filings as of November 30.

The likeliest scenario is that Dark Rock merged back into Obsidian for the purposes of the acquisition.

AJekh3M.png

IogsA3l.png

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
Tigranes I haven't used the OE forums in years, but christ that place is full of sycophants. How did you moderate there for so long?

The place has changed a lot over the years. Even until FNV or so, there were plenty of folks from back at the BIS forums hanging around, and there were many people who genuinely enjoyed some stripe of old-school CRPGs. And for what is a company forum, moderation policies were completely hands free on criticising Obsidian or their games - ironically it was usually tougher on people calling Bethesda babyfucking fucktard faggots, for obvious reasons.

Sometime around the FNV/AP/Aliens period, the population got to a point where most people seemed to care about MOBAs, Skyrim, ARPGs, romances, etc, etc (though POE was a bit different again). That's also when I stopped really reading the forums because I couldn't ever have a discussion about RPG mechanics anymore. (For like 5 years, I was on the mod list but not really even reading the forums much.) I occasionally go back to raise visibility for things like Realms Beyond and Pathfinder.

agris

Arcane
Patron
You were on the old BIS forums as well? We might have run into each other.

Tigranes

Arcane

I only lurked, and only during the later years. (I also lurked a bit on Codex before making an account.) But you probably know what I mean, then. And for all the imperfections, it was really nice to come out of the very bleak years of BIS' protracted death then the interregnum, and have them pop out KOTOR2 and MOTB.

I only lurked, and only during the later years. (I also lurked a bit on Codex before making an account.) But you probably know what I mean, then. And for all the imperfections, it was really nice to come out of the very bleak years of BIS' protracted death then the interregnum, and have them pop out KOTOR2 and MOTB.

Are BIS forum archived? Would be fun to read some early impressions about the classics.

Don Peste

Arcane

Are BIS forum archived? Would be fun to read some early impressions about the classics.
Seems it's mostly lost...
https://web.archive.org/web/20010415042536/http://www.blackislestudios.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi
https://web.archive.org/web/2001061....com:80/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum&f=11
https://web.archive.org/web/2001070...in/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=10&t=000004

Wunderbar

Arcane
"This planescape torment is shit! Fucking storyfags are to blame for the destruction of the RPG genre. Goldbox games were last good rpgs"

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Jason Lewis, senior environment artist who led the Mos Eisley project, started another (presumably personal) Star Wars fan project: a remake of the first level from Dark Forces: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/5lerE

jason-lewis-df-impbase-01-007.jpg

He came a long way: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/o52lB

fbe7WKV.jpg

cgK3rOW.jpg

V8uS4rC.jpg

EDzeHut.jpg

NfnEmxF.jpg

Dark Forces Remake - Phase 4

Here are some more updates to my Star Wars Dark Forces Level 1 remake project. I have been plugging away at the level here and there. It goes slower than I would like as I don't have a lot of free time these days, but I have managed to make some progress. The level is now fully traversable from start to finish, and I am now going to take a pass at setting up some scripting to make the door triggers and locks work properly as well as fixing some weird level streaming bugs I currently have. Also, now that the level is fully blocked out there were a few of you who had earlier expressed interest in helping out with this project, so I am finally at a point were coordinating that help is possible, so if you expressed interest before and I have failed to get back to you, please hit me up again as there is Lots of neat stuff to build if you would like to pitch in and attach your name to this project. As always, critiques and comments are always welcome. Thanks!
More images at the link.

It's going on...: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/1nxaGK

Dark Forces Remake Phase 5

Hey everyone! So it has been a while since I have been able to do an update to my Dark Forces project. Lots O stuff keeps me busy and my free time is pretty limited these days, but I do manage to make some time for this here and there. So this update comprises the interior spaces of the main base including the basement. I have the environments here mostly done, just needs more of a prop pass and some polish. Also, thanks to Alexander Murdoch who has been building some awesome props for this project! ( https://www.artstation.com/murdochart ) I think I am gonna take a stab at doing a Stormtrooper myself even though I am not a character artist. Will still need help with the human characters though so if anyone who sees this is interested in helping out with characters, or knows someone who is, please feel free to hit me up, thanks everyone!

jason-lewis-df-screenshote-001.jpg

jason-lewis-df-screenshote-014.jpg

jason-lewis-df-screenshote-020.jpg

More images at the link.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
There will be a talk about dialogue editor at GDC in March: https://schedule.gdconf.com/session/technical-tools-for-authoring-branching-dialogue/862202

Technical Tools for Authoring Branching Dialogue
Carrie Patel (Narrative Designer and Writer, Obsidian Entertainment)
David Szymczyk (Technical Director, Obsidian Entertainment)

Pass Type: All Access, GDC Conference + Summits, GDC Summits - Get your pass now!
Topic: Game Narrative Summit
Format: Session

Strong dialogue tools are crucial to developing games with branching narrative. A good conversation editor should allow designers to shape and view the structure of dialogue files, seamlessly write and edit text, and easily integrate dialogue with game scripting.

This talk will address how narrative designers and game writers can get the most use out of conversation editors and how tools programmers can design software that allows for robust conversation design. The presenters will refer to OEI Tools, a proprietary dialogue editor that Obsidian Entertainment's writers have used for eight years to develop conversations for several acclaimed RPG titles.

Takeaway
Attendees will be able to use the information from this talk to design internal conversation editors as well as to evaluate third-party conversation editors and integrate them into their development teams.

Intended Audience
This talk is primarily intended for writers, narrative designers, and programmers working on games that involve branching dialogue and reactive narrative. The concepts in this talk will be most useful to active industry professionals, particularly those with an intermediate or advanced level of experience.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Yeah I have nothing bad to say about that quest other than remembering the rage other people had over all the quests in Defiance Bay that required seeing all those loading screens.

Now, whoever made the quest that made VD rage committed a true crime against common sense (the one where you're nearly murdered and have to kill people over prostitute prices of all things).

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
So, does Obsidian's acquisition by Microsoft mean we won't get another iso RPG from them? No PoE3, no Sawyer historical/tactical RPG?

Depends on what Microsoft wants from them. Considering the amount of indie studios they bought they may as well be interested in producing mid budget titles.
I don't think microsoft has actually thought what exactly it is they want, they just realized, to their horror, that they were outgunned and outmanned in the field of development studios and sony was paddling them in sales, popularity and viability. At least to me, it looks like microsoft is just buying up everything and anything they can grab to even the divide between the two giants.

Fairfax

Arcane
I don't think Microsoft will interfere with creative direction for now, it'd be foolish to rock the boat so early. However, considering the state in which some of their recent exclusives have been released, it seems they're still strict about deadlines. Obsidian has always struggled with deadlines, so it'll be interesting to see how they'll handle their first MS projects.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom