Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Void Bastards - strategy/FPS from Jon Chey of System Shock 2 and Bioshock

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://voidbastards.com

Just announced at Xbox event thing:

Inspired by BioShock and System Shock 2, Void Bastards is a revolutionary new strategy-shooter that will test your wits as well as exercise your aim. Can you lead the misfit prisoners of the Void Ark through the derelict spaceships and myriad dangers of the Sargasso Nebula? Will you make the right choices about what to do, where to go and when to fight? Master combat, manage ship controls, scavenge supplies, craft improvised tools and much more! Developed by Blue Manchu and Presented by Humble Bundle, Void Bastards will release in early 2019 on PC and Xbox One.

VB_Gremlin_616x347.gif

Forget everything you know about first-person shooters: Void Bastards asks you to take charge, not just point your gun and fire. Your task is to lead the rag-tag Void Bastards out of the Sargasso Nebula. You make the decisions: where to go, what to do and who to fight. And then you must carry out that strategy in the face of strange and terrible enemies.

VB_Shipmap_616x347.gif

On board derelict spaceships you’ll plan your mission, taking note of the ship layout, what hazards and enemies you might encounter and what terminals and other ship systems you can use to your advantage..

VB_BuzzbaySimple_616x347.gif

Move carefully through the dangerous ships, searching for supplies and manipulating control systems. React to what you find - will you detour to the generator to bring the power back online or will you fight your way into the security module to disable the ship’s defenses? Choose carefully when to fight, when to run and when just to be a bastard.

VB_Kittybot_616x347.gif

Use your hard won supplies to improvise tools and weapons, from the distracting robo-kitty to the horribly unstable clusterflak.

VB_Starmap_616x347.gif

Navigate your tiny escape pod through the vast nebula. Flee from void whales and pirates, and politely avoid the hungry hermits. All the while you must keep scavenging for the food, fuel, and other resources that keep you alive.

VB_Prisoners_616x347.gif

Void Bastards features a 12-15 hour campaign that you can complete with an endless supply of prisoners, each with their own unique traits. When one dies, another steps forward to carry on the fight. Don’t worry though, as any crafting progress you’ve made is retained from one to another.

Last edited by a moderator:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://voidbastards.com/presskit.html

History
In 1999, System Shock 2 redefined the first-person shooter as something more than just “run and gun”. In 2007, BioShock built on that to create a world and narrative of a depth that hadn’t been seen before. Now, from the development director of BioShock and System Shock 2, comes a brand new kind of strategy shooter hybrid that takes the Shock lineage into new territory.

Void Bastards challenges you to lead a rag-tag group of prisoners home through the myriad dangers of the Sargasso Nebula. How to do so is entirely up to you as you both craft a long term strategy for escape and play out the missions into derelict spacecraft you come across.

Void Bastards takes the simulational first-person shooter to new places by letting you both set your own goals and then carry them out in real time. Succeed by mastering moment to moment shooting, stealth and tactical skills as well as understanding when and how to use them in order to achieve your goals. There's no omniscient voice in your ear telling you what to do. Void Bastard players solve their own problems.

Add this uniquely new take on the FPS to a stunningly rendered world that draws its look from graphic novels, a shedload of novel weaponry and tools, a host of bizarre enemies both mechanical and biological (and don’t forget to throw in a deranged computer) and you have the makings of a classic.

Features
  • Navigate a hazard filled nebula, choosing which ships to enter and which to avoid.
  • Calculate your odds before entering a wreck, equipping the best tools for the job.
  • Plan your mission using a ship map, taking account of power plants, warp chambers, security system s, radiation leaks and other features of he interactive environment.
  • Outfight mutant crew, security robots and other enemies using poison darts, rifters, robotic pets and whole host of other jury - rigged tools.
  • React to evolving scenarios, reassessing whether to push through to the ship's cafeteria or escape back to the pod without any food.
  • Escape with your loot, whether it be warp keys to evade nebula hazards or torpedoes to fight off pirate frigates. • Grow your prisoner, choosing what traits to keep and what to erase.
  • Craft new tools and upgrade old ones as you work your way to the nebula’s core.
  • Continue with a new prisoner and a new suite of traits when you die - but enjoy keeping all the tools and upgrades that your predecessors crafted.

About Blue Manchu
Blue Manchu is an indie team of industry vets dedicated to making unusual, original games that always have a strategic twist. Headed up by Jonathan Chey, one of the co-founders of Irrational Games, our first product was the collectible card game homage to retro RPGs, Card Hunter. After learning how to develop persistent online free-to-play games, we’re following that up with a single-player first-person shooter - because why not?

Headquartered in Australia, Blue Manchu works with talented people from around the world.

Blue Manchu Team
Jon Chey
Programming, Design

Farbs
Programming. Design

Ben Lee
Art, Design

Dean Walshe
Art, Design

Irma Walker
Art, Design

Jay Kyburz
Art, Design

Ryan Roth
Sound, Design

Cara Ellison
Writing

"simulational first-person shooter"

I guess this is one way to call it.

Morkar Left

Would prefer realistic artstyle by default. But the style looks consistent and the overall concept interesting. I want to know more...

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
RPS talked with Joh Chey and art director: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/20...system-shock-2-meets-xcom-and-it-looks-great/

Sounds nice.

Void Bastards is System Shock 2 meets XCOM and it looks great

I’m really excited about Void Bastards. I mean, it’s a new deeply systems-driven FPS made by some of the people behind System Shock 2, Neptune’s Pride and Captain Forever. Of course I’m excited. You play as a desperate crim boarding extremely hostile derelict spaceships to loot stuff. It’s got cool guns and a striking comic book art style, and it’s the result of some extremely qualified unfinished business. I reckon that’s the best reason to get into making something special.

It started with XCOM. “I love XCOM,” Jon Chey, founder of developer Blue Manchu tells me. “We all love XCOM.” And he once had the opportunity to work on an XCOM game. The trouble was that it was 2K’s ill-fated XCOM FPS project, which eventually came out, long after Chey left, as the unloved The Bureau. “It felt like a missed opportunity on my part that I hadn’t managed to make that project work while I was there,” he says. “I always thought there had to be a way of making a game of XCOM as a firstperson shooter.”

void_bastards_int_3.jpg

Making things right is where Void Bastards’ story starts, but Chey didn’t jump straight into it after going indie. Blue Manchu’s first game was Card Hunter, a delightful tabletop gaming-inflected tactical CCG which was meant to be a simple year-long first project. It didn’t turn out that way: its growing scope eventually pulled in six staff and took on as consultants Magic: The Gathering designers Richard Garfield and Skaff Elias.

But as the team continued to expand Card Hunter, they started to discuss what would come next. Chey started his career as a programmer at Looking Glass on Thief and, after cofounding Irrational Games, directed System Shock 2 and managed BioShock’s development, and he talked about where the Shock series had gone, and how some of Thief’s ideas about persistence had been left behind: levels that you could backtrack through and monsters that lived in them, outside the influence of the player.

void_bastards_int_5.jpg

“We thought, there’s something there,” says Chey. “The BioShock games had that too, but they didn’t push it and in a way went backwards, because as they got more narrative-heavy they had to constrain the player more. I remember having long arguments during BioShock about whether we should allow the player to go back to earlier levels. It wasn’t really something the game needed but it was System Shock-y. So we thought, what if we built a framework in which the player can get into interesting tactical combat situations more frequently and in a more structured and player-directed way?”

That idea evolved into half of Void Bastards: a systems-driven FPS. Fundamentally, an action-based immersive sim. When you board a derelict you choose three items to equip. A damage-dealing weapon. Pretty standard: think shotgun, assault rifle, pistol. A secondary weapon, usually more contextual and complex and often requiring a little foresight and preparation. Think the Clusterflak, which shoots a cluster of bomblets on a slow timer. Open a door, shoot, close the door, wait.

void_bastards_int_7.jpg

The last weapon doesn’t inflict direct damage. Think the Rifter. “Right now I think it might be the most powerful weapon in the game,” says Chey. Use it to ‘rift’ any NPC into it, carry it about, and then shoot it out again. “I can rift a guy, then I can lock the door of a little room and rift it into it, through the solid wall, so I can have a little room where I keep all the monsters prisoner!” Or you can rift monsters into a launch tube and eject them into space, or hack a turret and rift it around the level, shooting monsters for you.

It’s all about options, Heat Signature-like options, in fact, in 3D Heat Signature-like ships. Chey’s well aware of the comparison, though Void Bastards started before it was announced. (See also Blendo Games’ forthcoming Skin Deep. Let’s coin a new sub genre, the Heat Sig-like! (Disclosure: Tom Francis is a good friend.)) And, like Heat Signature, before you board you get to see what enemies you’ll be facing so you can choose the gear to suit.

void_bastards_int_2.jpg

Well, if you have enough ammo reserves. In Void Bastards your ammo levels are persistent, and you don’t get to pick up new gear during missions. “Ammo and resource scarcity is a really big thing in this game,” says Chey, who likes how it drives players to try new things. “The player should always be hungry. You’re low on food and fuel and you need to get ammo for this weapon, but you’ve got a couple of grenades and kitty bots, so I guess that’s what you’re using. It creates that feeling of tension and constant desire. It’s also a game about a lot of looting, and looting isn’t really satisfying unless you need stuff.”

But not so much tension that you feel like you’re suffering. “We wanted to create the flavour of a game where you’re desperate and running out of stuff,” clarifies art director Ben Lee. The aim is to generate situations that are worth thinking your way out of, so you can pause the game at any time to see the map of the ship and figure out a plan. (Whether the map would pause the game or leave it running, as per System Shock, was a point of hot debate, but emphasising thinking won the day.)

void_bastards_int_9.jpg

“So here I am in the airlock, and I need to get to Hab because I think it’s where I’ll find a particular kind of loot I’m after,” says Chey. “But the map shows the door’s locked, so I’ll need to go around the front of the ship, maybe through the Helm, and I’ll use the map terminal to tell me where all the good loot is.”

Each derelict out in space is of a certain type which informs the kinds of modules you’ll find on it, and loot will be in logical places, so the air compressor you’re after so you can craft more stuff from your ship will probably be in the atmosphere module. More common loot, like food, will drop more often in hab modules. But you’ll also be aware of radiation leaks, fire, security systems, collapsed sections, tough enemies, crawl spaces, and you’ll gain more information by hacking terminals.

void_bastards_int_10.jpg

“But if that’s all there is to it, it’d be this very thinky, exhaustive, inch-through, maximise-your-loot game,” says Lee. “But I find it fun because you’re doing all that while your oxygen is ticking down. That’s what makes decisions really fun, they’re not just puzzles to solve.”

And sometimes the right decision is to get on the derelict, look around, and nope out of it. “That’s actually something our playtesters had a bit of trouble with,” Lee says. “You don’t have to do the mission! Don’t kill yourself, just leave!”

All this sounds a lot for a studio the size of Blue Manchu to take on. But Void Bastards is a choice blend of high ambition and clever economising. At its outset, Lee thought they’d find it impossible to make an FPS, worrying about the huge costs that come in rigging models, animating and texturing them. But then he saw a screenshot of Return of the Obra Dinn. “I thought, what if we radically stylised the game in a way that ignores the problems we’d face?”

void_bastards_int_6.jpg

So Lee proposed using an old-school Doom and Duke-style sprite renderer. Monsters would have the traditional eight facings, but be high res so they’d avoid a retro look. The team jumped at the idea, and very quickly it started to inform the game’s overall comic book look, complete with suiting sparsely detailed environments.

“It gave savings across the board,” says Chey. “When you have sprite enemies, no one expects them to interact with the environment in complicated ways.” And they lent the game satisfying immediacy and readability. The most complex model is of a tea-dispensing machine, which took an entire week to make and was originally meant to be mere environment art. Being so opulent they had to give it an actual use, and now drinking tea from it grants a triple-damage buff.

void_bastards_int_8.jpg

So that’s one half of the game. The other half is a turn-based strategy played out across a nebula in which your ship’s trapped, and this is where XCOM comes in, specifically its Geoscape and its elegant relationship with the tactical game. “It’s where your goals come from,” says Chey. The overall object of the campaign is to escape the nebula by finding equipment to repair your ship, travelling between nodes on the map, looking for derelicts to board.

“It’s a medium-complexity strategy game you’re playing on top of the action game,” Chey continues. “You don’t spend hours in there. It’d be pretty boring to play by itself, but it frames the intense missions.” In that sense, the strategy side also paces out the action part of the game, which they found became draining when played in long sessions.

void_bastards_int_4.jpg

Most of the systemic games Chey has worked on only came together at the very end. “Thief was basically broken right up until 30 days from gold master. It had an interesting mechanic but it wasn’t fun.” But Void Bastards has been playable from very early on, so it’s already had months of iteration. And Chey’s old buddy, Ken Levine, has already sunk 36 hours into it. “Ken’s polite, but not polite enough to play for that long if he didn’t like it. And we have the metrics, so we know he has.”

That’s just the kind of endorsement I need for a game that promises to reflect the key ideas behind XCOM, Heat Signature and System Shock. Blue Manchu hopes to release Void Bastards in spring next year. I can’t wait.

Disclosure: Cara Ellison wrote for Void Bastards, and she wrote for us too.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
I don't know who this chick is and I don't care as long as her writing won't get in the way of the game itself.

It would still be nice though if the industry would honor good writing, both as a skill and in terms of salary. Then it would actually attract talent instead of these underpaid, low-self-esteem feminist idiots.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I like what I've seen so far, but "procedural generation" is always enough to trip some alarms.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Some gameplay:

Somewhat basic, but I like how shit goes from bad to worse. Wonder about the oxygen timer, though.

Last edited:

Trithne

Erudite
That Rifter seems inordinately powerful. Overall interesting though.

The O2 timer is likely a reaction to people just waiting for enemies to roam away.

Cross

Arcane
There doesn't appear to be any inventory system or character progression, at the start of a mission you can only choose a weapon loadout.

Inspired by BioShock
You don't say...

Trithne

Erudite
There doesn't appear to be any inventory system or character progression, at the start of a mission you can only choose a weapon loadout.

Inspired by BioShock
You don't say...

The idea is that your inventory is carried between missions. Use all your rivets on one boat and you won't have any for the next one.

Given that the ships are supposed to be procedurally generated, does this video feel scripted to anyone else? Maybe it's just the commentary sounding like he just wants to kill himself.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://wireframe.raspberrypi.org/f...iew-bioshock-system-shock-2-and-void-bastards

Jon Chey interview: BioShock, System Shock 2, and Void Bastards

void-4.png

There’s a sense of unfinished business to Void Bastards, the latest from Aussie indie studio Blue Manchu. See, the team is headed up by one of Irrational’s co-founders, Jon Chey, a man who headed up the project that eventually became The Bureau: XCOM Declassified, a game that was not only a huge missed opportunity for the franchise, but one Chey didn’t see through to the end of its production, leaving 2K Marin as he did during the game’s development. It released years later to a seriously muted reception, and lived up to very little of the initial promise it had shown early on in its life.

So is Void Bastards a righting of this particular wrong? A way in which Chey can bring us the game we were meant to have before the jam-coated hands of publisher interference smeared their sticky obfuscation all over XCOM’s FPS attempt? Well… no, not really. But it’s still a jumping off point for the project, and Void Bastards combines the hallmarks of the classic strategy-action of the alien defence simulator with a host of intensely creative, exciting elements, as well as touches from Chey’s historical dabbling in the likes of BioShock and System Shock 2. If you’re not excited by that mix, you may need to check you’re still breathing.

It is, on the face of it all, a first-person shooter, but dig a tiny bit deeper and Void Bastardsreveals itself as much more. The stylised visuals bring to life a world in which the player has to navigate the titular illegitimate ones out of the Sargasso Nebula, choosing where to go, what missions to take on, what supplies to acquire, and what tactics to employ along the way. It’s a deep, systems-based title with all the promise in the world – and a sense of humour to boot, with Douglas Adams a source of inspiration for Void Bastards’ general outlook on (space-)life.

void-7.png

There’ll be times when running – rather than shooting – is the better tactic. This may well be one of those times.

How will Void Bastards’ FPS elements differ from other shooters?

Void Bastards is really much more in the lineage of System Shock 2 than other shooters that are much more gun-focused. Of course, we have a lot of different guns and you spend a good amount of time shooting enemies in the face, but you also have access to a lot of other ways of dealing with hostiles. And, importantly, the main focus of the game isn’t killing everyone. Killing enemies is one way of getting what you want – but you can also choose to avoid combat or avoid the situation entirely.

Say I’m heading to security module to shut down the security system and I see a screw (a prison guard – very tough) patrolling around in there. I can play a typical shooter-type game where I dodge back and forth trying to shoot him in the head while dodging his shots. Or I can employ a more indirect weapon – for example, I could throw down a kittybot to distract him while I run in and use the security terminal. Or I could wait until his back is turned and sneak in. Or I could just say “Nah, I won’t bother today.” There’s a lot more to think about than just pure optimisation of combat.

What’s the balance between action and strategy, would you say?

In terms of time, it’s probably 80–90% action and 10–20% strategy, but the action element also involves a lot of tactical planning. So the strategy is deeply entwined and doesn’t just live in its own mode.

You clearly love card games and board games. Is the strategy element of Void Bastards also influenced by tabletop games?

It’s probably more influenced by PC strategy games. It has a lot of classic PC strategy game elements: resource juggling, a limited but rich set of choices to make each turn, and a palette of information to support those choices that try to highlight and pull out the relevant factors.

void-6.png

Blue Manchu says the game’s campaign will last around 12 to 15 hours.

What of XCOM has been brought to Void Bastards?

For me, XCOM was the defining game that created the notion of a strategy game where you are in charge of the execution of the strategy as well as the high level planning. Of course, now, there are other games like that, but not a lot of first-person shooters. So, our goal was really to translate this two-layer notion into the FPS genre.

The key part of this two-layer structure is that you navigate through the nebula and then choose which ship to go into – which you then play out in first-person, but we try to build a lot of other interactions between the two layers as well.

For example, you can find tools in-mission that you employ at the strategic layer (torpedoes, warp keys and so on) and vice versa. On some ships you can find a supply flare that sends out a distress beacon. When you come back to the strategy layer, a supply van will come to your location carrying the stuff you requested. Of course, you have to be careful not to bump into pirates or other hazards while trying to hook up with the supply van…

How deep does the Douglas Adams influence go? Can we expect more of the dry, surreal comedy we’ve already seen?

One of the big influences on the story was Adam’s game from the eighties: Bureaucracy. It’s a text adventure which tells a story about someone who has to deal with a whole series of problems stemming from the fact that he changed his address. He goes to the bank to let them know and they tell him to fill out a form that they’ve sent to his old address. It all goes downhill from there.

We wanted to capture that sense of frustration and anger that comes from having to deal not with real problems, but ones created by an inflexible system. The whole way through Void Bastards there’s a sense that everything could be resolved if BACS, the admin computer, would just get on with things but it’s determined that all the paperwork be completed satisfactorily, even if it’s at the cost of several hundred lives.

What engine does Void Bastards run on, and how have you achieved that wonderful cel-shaded effect?

It’s this incredible super-secret engine you’ve probably never heard of called Unity!
Seriously though, our approach is usually to try to do something smart with existing tools rather than write a lot of never- before-seen tech. In this case, I think a lot of our unique look comes from a rigidly enforced art style (e.g. we try to hand-draw shadows and shading in a way that isn’t ‘realistic’ but instead fits with an illustrated style). Another part is that we render lines explicitly rather than doing them via a textured polygon. That way we make sure that the line thickness is constant rather than varying with distance – exactly as it would be in a hand-drawn image.

void-2.png

Void Bastards’ illustrated look saves on expensive hi-res textures, and also looks magnificent.

Making a game reliant on systems and their interactions is something most of us mere mortals don’t understand. What’s the most fun aspect of stitching all of this together?

For me, the most fun is when stuff emerges that you haven’t thought of. For example, we made a rifter gun that pulls enemies out of the world and then dumps them back where you want. The obvious use for that is to grab tough enemies and then dump them back somewhere where you can deal with them (either in a locked room or maybe just into an airlock). What I didn’t think of is that it’s also a great tool for grabbing a subverted turret and moving it around like a mobile killing machine.

The ‘endless supply’ of prisoners – your ‘barrel of Bastards’, if you will – to use on scavenging missions; are these procedurally generated?

Yes, each prisoner is generated and has a unique set of traits that vary their characteristics and what play style you’ll need to use to get the best out of them. For example, one might be capable of silent running, making them easier to use in a stealthy way, another might be allowed to take an extra weapon in their loadout, making them more tactically flexible.

What, if anything, has changed in your attitude to the industry since releasing Card Hunter? Did it open your eyes to anything unexpected?

Card Hunter’s reception reinforced to me that there’s value in really focusing on your niche and not trying to be distracted by mass market appeal. Of course, coming from triple-A development, the mass market mindset was something I had to try to shake off. In triple-A, you’d never try to do a retro RPG-themed card game/board game hybrid. But, as an indie, you can do that and it’s probably best to really focus on nailing what you’re trying to do rather than diluting for people who aren’t going to be into it anyway. So, in Void Bastards, we really focus on our core strengths: tactical gameplay, strategic goals, planning and thinking, and less on ultra-smooth gunplay. The gunplay is more like the stuff you’d find in nineties sprite shooters and really can’t be compared to modern triple-A stuff like Destiny or Call of Duty.

Does Void Bastards feel like a logical step forward, technically, from Card Hunter?

Not really, no! It’s more of a weird sideways step. Card Hunter was an interesting project for us since my background is almost entirely in single-player first-person shooters (System Shock 2, BioShock etc.). OK, we did do some multiplayer (Tribes: Vengeance) but I wouldn’t say that’s where our real expertise was. And we did do a real-time strategy game (Freedom Force) that I was very fond of, but I had never made a card game or a turn-based strategy game. So Card Hunter was lots of new tech: database back end, web front end, Flash etc. And now we’re kind of throwing that all away and starting again with a pure single-player shooter experience. Not logical, but it keeps things interesting.

void-5.png

Void Bastards’ strategy layer is “deeply entwined” with its FPS action, Chey says.

Void Bastards is coming to Xbox One – what brought you back to console?

Money. No, not really – we always thought of this as a console and PC game, not least because BioShock was our first big console/PC title and it’s clear that lots of people who probably want to play these kinds of games want to do so on console. So we’d be kind of silly to not cater for them.

System Shock 2 cost around $700,000 to make. What’s the secret to making the most of a budget like that?

Part of the secret to making System Shock 2 was some pretty insane crunch. We don’t do that anymore so we have to find other ways to make a limited budget work. There are probably two keys for us: one is that we have a revenue sharing system so everyone draws less salary but looks forward to making money from game sales. The other is that the team are in a position where they can handle a relatively long project cycle: people set their own hours and generally aren’t full-time, so the whole thing proceeds at a relatively leisurely pace. This allows us to be very efficient with the actual hours that we do bill to the project.

What’s the set-up at Blue Manchu like these days? In the beginning you were working remotely – is that still the case?

Right now, we have a small studio in Canberra where most of us work but we also have Ben Lee and Cara Ellison in the UK and Ryan Roth in Canada (though he’s in Japan at the time of writing). So we’re still somewhat virtual with the advantage of having at least some of the team in one place.

Is there anything you miss about working on big budget games, or is this really the gaming equivalent of moving to the countryside and having a much happier life?

Things I miss: the company paying for me to fly business class to the US from Australia.

Things I don’t miss: reporting to a boss, working with Microsoft Project, endless meetings, marketing-driven decision making. I could go on, but I probably shouldn’t.

Void Bastards releases on PC and Xbox One later this year.

The thrill of the hunt

BOXOUT_card_hunters.jpg

Card Hunters: deep, strategic, fun.

After leaving 2K and setting up Blue Manchu in 2011, Chey’s first project was… well, exactly the reason he felt the need to leave 2K: a free-to-play, browser-based card battler which would effortlessly lampoon the world of Dungeons & Dragons while providing a deep, strategic, and rewarding well of fun. 2013’s Card Hunter didn’t set the world aflame, but it proved two things: one, Chey was still capable of running a studio that could produce great games, and two, it was possible to make games he wanted to make without the big, bad corporate overlords breathing down his neck.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom