Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Linux RPG list

Are you willing to give Linux a chance?

• I am already on Linux

• Didn't know so much incline was available on Linux, might consider it

• There is a game that i really really have to play and is unavailable, else i might consider it

• I am a Windowsfag, i love viruses, malware, NSA spying on me, DRM, and all that

Results are only viewable after voting.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
I think we should make a thread with RPGs that are confirmed playable on Linux, in order to help the poor folk trapped on Windows to make the switch. People are under the misconception that they can't game on Linux, which has been false for a few years now. Linux graphic drivers for hardware of the 3 main vendors (AMD, Intel, Nvidia) are working pretty well these days, there are many native ports, Steam is native on Linux, emulators are plenty, and projects like WINE, DXVK, gallium-nine, Esync, Proton, make Windows-exclusive games much easier to play at pretty good speed, with only a few exceptions of unplayable (at the moment) games.

I will begin the list myself, with first adding a few emulators:

1) DOSBOX Anything that runs on DOSBOX, runs on Linux too...

2) Console RPGs : Consoles that have good emulators on Linux include NES, Master System, Game Boy, Game Gear, SNES, Genesis/Mega Drive, PS1, Saturn, Dreamcast, Gamecube, PS2, PSP, NDS, GBA, PS3, 3DS, Wii, Wii U (through WINE but will soon get a native version). 80s home computers like Amiga and Atari ST work as well.

Now that we got that out of the way, i will make a list of RPGs with native ports. For this list i consider CRPGs, JRPGs, plus some dungeon crawlers, blobbers,immersive sims,roguelikes,tactics, hack&slash, openworlds, games that are *mostly* RPGs, or just don't feel strange being discussed in the General RPG discussion subforum. I realize that some of those games could only loosely be considered RPGs, but since this is a Linux list and i can't make 10 lists for each subgenre i put them all here. Keep in mind that this list still is mostly about CRPGs anyway. Feel free to add more in the comments that i missed and i will add them.

1) Pillars of Eternity + White March Pt1/Pt2
2) Pillars of Eternity II Deadfire + Expansions
3) Divinity Original Sin Enhanced Edition
4) Shadowrun Returns
5) Shadowrun Dragonfall Director's Cut
6) Shadowrun Honk Kong
7) Wasteland 2 Director's Cut
8) Pathfinder: Kingmaker
9) ATOM RPG
10) Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition
11) Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition
12) Icewind Dale Enhanced Edition
13) Planescape Torment Enhanced Edition
14) Neverwinter Nights Enhanced Edition
15) Star Wars KOTOR II
16) Tyranny
17) Torment Tides of Numenera
18) Tower of Time
19) Arx Fatalis (through Arx Libertatis, an updated version of the opensourced game engine)
20) Morrowind (through OpenMW, a re-implementation of the engine)
21) Darkest Dungeon
22) To the moon
23) Vaporum
24) Starcrawlers
25) Legend of Grimrock
26) Crosscode
27) Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition
28) Ash of Gods: Redemption
29) Deep Sky Derelicts
30) Deus Ex Mankind Divided
31) Sword Coast Legends
32) Hand of Fate
33) Hand of Fate 2
34) Undertale
35) FTL Advanced Edition
36) Torchlight II
37) Torchlight
38) Victor Vran
39) Battletech
40) Invisible, inc
41) XCOM (reboot)
42) XCOM 2 (reboot)
43) Borderlands 2
44) Borderlands the Pre-sequel
45) Desperados, Wanted Dead or Alive
46) Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun
47) Hyper Light Drifter
48) Stardew Valley
49) Graveyard Keeper
50) Transistor
51) Bastion
52) Pyre
53) Mount & Blade Warband (+ Reforged)
54) Star Traders: Frontiers
55) Vikings: Wolves of Midgard
56) Heroes of Might and Magic III: The restoration of Erathia
57) Satellite Reign
58) Dungeons of Dreadmore
59) Sunless Sea
60) Sunless Skies
61) Barony: Cursed edition
62) ADOM: Ancient Domains of Mystery
63) Starsector
64) For the King
65) Xenonauts
66) Tales of Maj'Eyal
67) Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor
68) Rogue Legacy
69) Chaos Reborn
70) Expeditions: Conquistador
71) West of Loathing
72) The Bard's Tale (2000s reboot)
73) Siralim 2
74) NEO Scavenger
75) Crypt of the Necrodancer
76) Age of Wonders III + expansions
77) 7 Mages
78) Robin Hood: The Legend of Sherwood
79) Regalia : Of men and monarchs.
80) Convoy
81) Attack of the Earthlings
82) Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Deluxe edition
83) Chroma Squad
84) Xenonauts 2

Now that i added the native versions of games that might interest an RPG gamer, i will make a list of RPGs playable through the WINE emulation layer (+ variants like Proton). This is a list of games that you can expect to be PLAYABLE, out of the box, or with some minor tweaks. Games with serious issues won't be added here. Also, i will only add games i have personally tested OR a reputable Codex member have vouched for them in this thread...

1) Elder Scrolls Oblivion (needs a winetricks override for d3d9x_27 in order to remove the black main character issue, perfectly playable otherwise)
2) Elder Scrolls Skyrim Legendary Edition (works pefectly if you use: winetrics xact --force, special edition is expected to be working 100% soon too)
3) Fallout 3 (perfect)
4) Fallout New Vegas (perfect)
5) Vampire the Masquerade Redemption (perfect)
6) Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines (perfect)
7) Fallout 1 (perfect)
8) Fallout 2 (perfect)
9) Gothic 1 (almost perfect, might get some graphics issues, i may need to tweak some more)
10) Gothic 2 (same as 1, it appears some bugs were fixed recently, haven't tested yet)
11) Arcanum (last time i checked it worked, it was a year ago though)
12) Witcher 3 (runs 100% perfectly using DXVK. Might get some hangs if using AMD MESA driver, it is a known issue in the MESA bugtrucker at the moment)
13) Witcher Enhanced edition (works 100% perfectly. I completed a full playthrough this spring, under WINE)
14) Star Wars KOTOR 1 (works perfectly)
15) Neverwinter Nights 2 (works perfectly, i faced some crashes when in 32bit prefix, i used 64 bit and it solved those)
16) Divinity Original sin 2 Definitive Edition (perfectly with DXVK, i had some performance issues BUT it may be the game, as it was unoptimized on Windows as well)
17) Age of Decadence (perfect)
18) Dungeons Rats (perfect)
19) Underrail (perfect but needs winetricks to install XNA 4.0)
20) Mass Effect Trilogy (works fine but has poor performance)
21) Into the Breach (perfect)
22) Heroes of Might and Magic V (perfect)
23) Dark Messiah of Might and Magic (perfect)
24) Deus Ex Human Revolution (perfect with DXVK)
25) Deus Ex (perfect)
26) Diablo II (perfect)
27) Bard's Tale trilogy remaster (perfect)
28) System Shock 1+2
29) Temple of Elemental Evil
30) Legend of Grimrock 2
31) Grimoire: Heralds of The Winged Exemplar
32) Dark souls III
33) Banner Saga 2
34) Expeditions: Vikings
35) Battle Brothers

Last but not least, i will make the "hopeful" list, a list of games that may have a linux port promised/on the way, or perhaps are running almost well with WINE and need some work, or perhaps are known to work but i haven't *personally* tested so i won't vouch for them.

1) Bard's Tale IV (linux port on the way)
2) Wasteland 3 (linux port promised)
3) Diablo III (it supposedly works but needs some tweaks and i haven't tested it)
4) Skyrim Special Edition (needs FAudio, WIP)
5) Fallout 4 (needs FAudio, WIP)
6) Underworld Ascedant (linux port promised)
7) Dragon Age Origins (probably works, haven't tested)
8) Dragon Age II (probably works, haven't tested)
9) Jade Empire (probably works, haven't tested)
10) Age of Wonders : Planetfall (linux port promised)
11) Icewind Dale II (first 3-4 chapters work really well under gemrb, gemrb implementation incomplete, still WIP, under WINE it has some ddraw issues that make it unplayable to me)
12) Thief 1-3, should work, haven't tested
13) Dark Souls 1-2, AND Remaster, should work, haven't tested them though
14) Lords of Xulima should be playable under WINE with some tweaks, it has a native version that is broken
15) Banner Saga 1 had a native port that is broken, but all 3 parts should be 100% playable under WINE

I hope i can keep this list updated. Please contribute to it with games you know work and have tested yourselves, or are bound to work soon. Please leave the trolling out of this thread, this list may help some people understand that they can keep enjoying RPGs on Linux. If you find most if not all the games you like to play are fine on Linux, why not make the switch? It is free, and free of malware and spying as well...

Last edited:

Epsilon

Cipher
System Shock 1+2 works. ToEE works. Both the Grimrocks. I made a guide for setting up "Grimoire: Heralds of The Winged Exemplar" on Steam. Xenonauts 2 works with proton.

Epsilon

Cipher
Have they made normal looking fonts on linux yet? Post a screenshot of this post.
rghKZdI.png

Yep, SS2 and ToEE definitely work with wine. But for some reason I just could not get New Vegas to work. Finally had to boot up my Wintendo partition and run it from there.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Quite honestly, it would be much, MUCH easier to make a list of RPGs that do not work on linux.
With wine & proton, I think I got every RPG to work that I wanted to play in recent years.

Of your hopeful list, Dark Souls 3 is even whitelisted by Valve and has been working perfectly for quite a while. ToEE worked well for me, as did Banner Saga 2.
You can also add Expeditions: Vikings (runs well via Proton).
Grimoire worked better on linux for me than on Windows (didn't have that mouse cursor weirdness) :lol:

Last edited:

soulburner

Cipher
Have they made normal looking fonts on linux yet? Post a screenshot of this post.
Most fonts actually look better on Linux now than in Windows. The trick is to find settings for RGB antialiasing and hinting. KDE has these settings in their panel, I think xfce has it too, Gnome requires Gnome Tweak Tool. Some distributions set it to the "proper" settings by default, but it seems most of them use grayscale filtering by default. Depending on your screen resolution and DPI, you might want to change it to the above mentioned settings or not.

I've been using Linux for a few months now and find it hard to look at and use Windows, but I still dual boot occasionally (not more than once per two weeks, I think).

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Most fonts actually look better on Linux now than in Windows. The trick is to find settings for RGB antialiasing and hinting. KDE has these settings in their panel, I think xfce has it too, Gnome requires Gnome Tweak Tool. Some distributions set it to the "proper" settings by default, but it seems most of them use grayscale filtering by default. Depending on your screen resolution and DPI, you might want to change it to the above mentioned settings or not.

I've been using Linux for a few months now and find it hard to look at and use Windows, but I still dual boot occasionally (not more than once per two weeks, I think).
Yeah, same here.
So many desktop environments available that you'd be hard pressed to find none that you like. I use xfce, personally, because it is the fastest that also offers you a great deal of customization (way more than the default Ubuntu one). Many like Cinnamon as it has a similar-to-Windows layout.

Epsilon

Cipher
Been using KDE since Suse Linux 9. Think it was version 3.2. Of course I've tried other environments over the years, but I always return to KDE.

Therin

Barely Literate
I've been meaning to try Linux for a while but it's a bit intimidating. Any suggestions on what distro is best for a newcomer? I heard good things about Mint.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Nice, you guys made a double-facepalm :lol:

You should have made a screenshot that does not encompass the entire width and has to be scaled down by the forum, causing blurriness...

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I'm not retarded, thank you very much.

For comparison, yours:
07a8e1431a35f49707a9bfbf32ea75c6.png

Notice the top of the letter P is blurry, the letter H, and most letters are blurry in a more subtle way.

Windows:
26da39da06b1dedcfd9edd2113ce43f9.png

Super crisp.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
I'm not retarded, thank you very much.

For comparison, yours:
07a8e1431a35f49707a9bfbf32ea75c6.png

Notice the top of the letter P is blurry, the letter H, and most letters are blurry in a more subtle way.

Windows:
26da39da06b1dedcfd9edd2113ce43f9.png

Super crisp.
Interesting!
This is how it looks for me (Ubuntu 18.04):
N96aX8V.png

What browser are you using, though? Font rendering is determined by the browser, in the end. Though some do change their choices based on the OS.

agris

Arcane
Patron
What about older games that have commonly used launchers / dx injectors? I’m thinking of sfall for fallout, diablo 1, etc. Does wine handle the dx dll injection fine?

Edit: i hope all those font comparison images are using PNG and not jpg.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
What about older games that have commonly used launchers / dx injectors? I’m thinking of sfall for fallout, diablo 1, etc. Does wine handle the dx dll injection fine?
Depends on how exactly it is done.
If it is a patch/modification of the file itself, that works fine.

If it is a code injection at runtime, that doesn't usually work very well.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Obviously I’m not talking about modification of the exe, that shouldn’t be impacted. Sfall in particular is configured such that fallout.exe’s calls to the system directx dll are rereouted to a local copy of a customized version of directx.dll that both controls the rendering of the game, and runtime injection and manipulation of some of the exe’s instructions in memory, all through this local copy of directx.dll in fallout’s root folder.

If you aren’t aware, that’s default windows behavior. If an executable that makes calls to a system lib, but if there’s a dll with the indentical name in the same folder as the exe, it is used instead. This is how programs such as the excellent dgvoodoo work.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Obviously I’m not talking about modification of the exe, that shouldn’t be impacted. Sfall in particular is configured such that fallout.exe’s calls to the system directx dll are rereouted to a local copy of a customized version of directx.dll that both controls the rendering of the game, and runtime injection and manipulation of some of the exe’s instructions in memory, all through this local copy of directx.dll in fallout’s root folder.

If you aren’t aware, that’s default windows behavior. If an executable that makes calls to a system lib, but if there’s a dll with the indentical name in the same folder as the exe, it is used instead. This is how programs such as the excellent dgvoodoo work.
Such a case might or might not work, hard to generally tell.
However, many problems mods such as Sfall aim to solve aren't even present in Wine to begin with.

Anyway: https://falloutmods.fandom.com/wiki/Sfall
So, you can get it to work with a pretty easy modification according to this.

SKSE also works on wine, for example.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Is there a linux distro yet that you can install as easily as windows, boot into it, install your games and launch them without having to do any additional steps?

Back when I was using linux, I was pretty much limited to MUDs, though it was fine at the time. It's nice to see it's gotten expanded since then.

Whiny-Butthurt-Liberal

If Linux was a usable os, I'd use it for everything, except gaming.

Sadly, it's not, so I'm stuck with Losedows.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom