Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Linux RPG list

Are you willing to give Linux a chance?

• I am already on Linux

• Didn't know so much incline was available on Linux, might consider it

• There is a game that i really really have to play and is unavailable, else i might consider it

• I am a Windowsfag, i love viruses, malware, NSA spying on me, DRM, and all that

Results are only viewable after voting.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Honestly, one of the big reasons I don't use Linux is that I have yet to find any distros that aren't ugly af compared to Windows. Aesthetics matter, IMO.

Epsilon

Cipher
Is there a linux distro yet that you can install as easily as windows, boot into it, install your games and launch them without having to do any additional steps?
No. Going into it expecting it to be just as Windows is an exersize in futility. You will have to use tools such as Lutris, which, if theres a script made for it, is a one click installation of games. If not, you have to tinker yourself.

sfall with fallout is just a matter of adding a ddraw override in winecfg.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is there a linux distro yet that you can install as easily as windows, boot into it, install your games and launch them without having to do any additional steps?
That's pretty much what Ubuntu is like. The only difficult thing about installing Ubuntu is doing the partitioning (selecting which partition linux should be installed to, and creating those partitions if it hasn't been done before), but that is simply a mildly complex topic to begin with and cannot be automated around. Any kind of dual-boot setup will have to do that.
If you don't want dual-boot, it is just as simple as Windows.

Especially with Steam and its Steam Play/Proton, games that are on Steam are really easy.
I just select any game from my library, even Windows-only ones, and it just downloads them, puts them in a custom Wine/Proton prefix and you can launch them.
Of course, not 100% of all Windows-only games work with Wine/Proton, but there is a list: https://www.protondb.com/

Without Steam, you need to manually handle WINE, which IS unfortunately not just plug'n'play.
But there are tools like Lutris which do almost all of the work for you for games someone has made a script for.

As of now, I'd say you still need to dual-boot Windows every now and then.

Honestly, one of the big reasons I don't use Linux is that I have yet to find any distros that aren't ugly af compared to Windows. Aesthetics matter, IMO.
Honestly, with the amount of distros and desktop environments available, and with how incredibly customizable most of them are, that makes you look a bit lazy. I'd say it is downright impossible not to find one that has visuals you like.
The easiest is to just use Ubuntu and install & customize any desktop environment you like on top of it (its default one is pretty ugly, that's for sure).

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Have they made normal looking fonts on linux yet? Post a screenshot of this post.
rghKZdI.png
So that's a big fucking no then.

agris

Arcane
Patron
One of the largest impediments to my using linux as a daily driver is that OpenOffice doesn't interpret and generate perfect versions of MS Office-compatible files. edit: or at least, it didn't as of several years ago.

I assume some of you must be professionals, and as such have to use track changes and work collaboratively on slide decks. If every time my edits came back and the global formatting / text / etc was even slightly changed because of OpenOffice, that would be a serious problem.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
what about this DXVK thing I've heard about? People gush about that.

I might give a linux distro a try as i just recently installed a new mechanical HDD someone gave me that currently has nothing on it except torrent junk i've downloaded that i can delete without worry, so i've actually been thinking about doing this already.

if anyone can link me to some step-by-step guides that'd be awesome as well, specifically ones for using WINE/DXVK.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

I might give a linux distro a try as i just recently installed a new mechanical HDD someone gave me that currently has nothing on it except torrent junk i've downloaded that i can delete without worry, so i've actually been thinking about doing this already.

if anyone can link me to some step-by-step guides that'd be awesome as well, specifically ones for using WINE/DXVK.
DXVK is truly a great thing and one of the main reasons WINE-compatibility has grown so much recently.

About installation:
https://www.linuxtechi.com/ubuntu-18-04-lts-desktop-installation-guide-screenshots/
Most of it is that partition stuff I wrote about earlier, but it is well described in that guide. If there are still questions, pretty much everything has been answered already on places like https://askubuntu.com/

About using Wine/DXVK: That is a bit more complicated, at least if you do not want to use tools like Lutris.
If you want to use Lutris, here's a guide: https://github.com/lutris/lutris/wiki/How-to:-DXVK

Without Lutris, you'll have to manually configure Wine using winetricks, install DXVK, etc. which is quite a bother. Though it does get a bit easier with a GUI for that, such as q4wine.

Codex Year of the Donut

DXVK is truly a great thing and one of the main reasons WINE-compatibility has grown so much recently.

About installation:
https://www.linuxtechi.com/ubuntu-18-04-lts-desktop-installation-guide-screenshots/
Most of it is that partition stuff I wrote about earlier, but it is well described in that guide.

About using Wine/DXVK: That is a bit more complicated, at least if you do not want to use tools like Lutris.
If you want to use Lutris, here's a guide: https://github.com/lutris/lutris/wiki/How-to:-DXVK

Without Lutris, you'll have to manually configure Wine using winetricks, which is quite a bother. Though it does get a bit easier with a GUI for that, such as q4wine.
I'd definitely recommend using Lutris or Proton from steam
personally I use a set of bash scripts I wrote to manage my wine prefixes

Jazz_

Arcane

Installing games on Ubuntu with WINE is exactly like installing them on windows, you click on the exe and wine automaticly launches the installshield, and that's it, you install the game and play it, it's retard proof. People have still this notion that you need to do some esoteric shit to install and play games on Linux, it's simply not the case anymore.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron

Installing games on Ubuntu with WINE is exactly like installing them on windows, you click on the exe and wine automaticly launches the installshield, and that's it, you install the game and play it, it's retard proof. People have still this notion that you need to do some esoteric shit to install and play games on Linux, it's simply not the case anymore.
Ehhh.... even as a linux evangelist myself, this isn't entirely true.
I mean, yeah, there are games like that. But for many, it is required that you setup your Wine prefix (which is a fancy word for Wine installation, you can have multiple ones with different configurations) in a correct way, install the correct stuff via winetricks, get DXVK to run for some, etc. It really isn't just plug'n'play for most games. If you've done it a few times, it becomes easy, yeah, but what doesn't?

I dream of a linux distribution that just comes with Wine from the get-go, has requirements for applications on a list and installs them automatically for whatever game you are installing/starting.
So, like Steam Play, but on a system level. Maybe Steam OS will be that, at some point. Though to be honest I'd prefer an alternative without ties to big companies.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Yep, SS2 and ToEE definitely work with wine. But for some reason I just could not get New Vegas to work. Finally had to boot up my Wintendo partition and run it from there.

Seems strange to me. Fallout New Vegas is known to work out of the box, it is considered Platinum on WINE. I have it installed on my system right now, fully modded, and i run it with gallium nine (i have an AMD gpu) and it runs perfectly. The only issue that is also a known issue is that it sometimes hangs up when you quit to desktop, so i typically alt+tab and close it from the lutris menu

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
I've been meaning to try Linux for a while but it's a bit intimidating. Any suggestions on what distro is best for a newcomer? I heard good things about Mint.

Mint is fine, although i would prefer vanilla Ubuntu, the latest version. The thing that bothers me with Mint is the sometimes too old versions of software. In any case, Mint is just Ubuntu LTS (Long Term Support) + some additional QoL improvements, a new custom desktop shell, and a different theme. They are not that different. And you are only going to keep using Mint/Ubuntu only for as long as you get used to Linux, once you become more experienced you can install much better distribution like Archlinux. It is what i have been using for more than 10 years myself.

I don't agree with this, although appearance is subjective. I agree that GNOME (one of the top desktop environments) looks kinda ugly most of the time, even if pimped :P , but KDE even with the vanilla settings looks much better than Windows 10 in my opinion.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
One of the largest impediments to my using linux as a daily driver is that OpenOffice doesn't interpret and generate perfect versions of MS Office-compatible files. edit: or at least, it didn't as of several years ago.

I assume some of you must be professionals, and as such have to use track changes and work collaboratively on slide decks. If every time my edits came back and the global formatting / text / etc was even slightly changed because of OpenOffice, that would be a serious problem.

Openoffice has been kind-of-dead for years. It got replaced by Libreoffice, and latest version is much improved vs back then. It still is not perfect, but in my opinion it is fine for most needs. I do keep a virtual box with Windows 10 and the latest Microsoft Office for compatibility reasons, but i never have to use it.

Still, if you are using MS Office for work, and use fairly advanced stuff that may introduce incompatibilities, external plugins and stuff, then it makes sense that Libreoffice won't replace it for you. Still, i hear that MS Office can run relatively well under WINE, haven't tried it personally though.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Have they actually added some RPG elements to the Linux version of Skyrim then for it to be included?
The added bonus of roleplaying a Windows user while playing Skyrim, of course!

I've been meaning to try Linux for a while but it's a bit intimidating. Any suggestions on what distro is best for a newcomer? I heard good things about Mint.

Mint is fine, although i would prefer vanilla Ubuntu, the latest version. The thing that bothers me with Mint is the sometimes too old versions of software. In any case, Mint is just Ubuntu LTS (Long Term Support) + some additional QoL improvements, a new custom desktop shell, and a different theme. They are not that different. And you are only going to keep using Mint/Ubuntu only for as long as you get used to Linux, once you become more experienced you can install much better distribution like Archlinux. It is what i have been using for more than 10 years myself.
If you like the Mint look, you can get the same by installing Ubuntu and then the Cinnamon desktop environment.
Archlinux only makes sense if you always want the most bleeding edge of all libraries. Which means also their flaws and bugs. Archlinux is kinda the Early Access for linux enthusiasts and requires the same amount of patience to get things going :lol:
Other than that, I don't think it does anything better than other distros or provides anything that cannot be done with Ubuntu. Ubuntu is also the "main" distribution and as such most likely to have native game versions. When you look at games supporting linux on Steam, you'll see that many state directly that Ubuntu is needed. That doesn't mean you can't get the game to run on Archlinux, it is actually likely that it will "just work" anyway, but it means there's no guarantee for that.

Last edited:

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard

DXVK is a Direct3D 10/11 to Vulkan translation layer. It takes API calls for D3D10/11 and turns them to Vulkan API calls. The idea is that since Vulkan is very close to the metal compared to OpenGL, it can be much faster (and potentially with less compatibility issues). It is a great idea, and you can use DXVK even on Windows, many people don't realize that.

Combined with WINE, it allows for almost-native-speed Direct3D 10/11 gaming. It is a new project but already supports almost every aspect of Direct3D 11 and is fast enough and compatible enough.

As for guides, i may post a few later but you can also google, there are plenty of guides out there, easy to find. Keep in mind that you can also use Lutris, and it has automated install scripts for almost everything. For Steam games and GOG native games you don't need any guides, one click install and play...

Falksi

Arcane
Have they actually added some RPG elements to the Linux version of Skyrim then for it to be included?

Skyrim had plenty of RPG elements since 11-11-11 pal...

What is it that gets your juices going about it?

I've seen you defend it from a technical/mathmatical POV many a time, but can't ever recall you describing what you love about it.

I'm genuinely curious to know what floats your boat with it? When you think about playing it what stirs you?

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
A choice of OS in your every day use doesn't actually matter anymore when all you need is a browser.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom