Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Oracsbox

I hope they don't have anything as retarded as Liberty prime unless of course it has tits.
giphy.gif

Ah I see we've arrived at the inevitable "bitch about millennial female writers" part of this game's lifecycle. Might as well get it over with.

But look, this isn't a thing that's going to go away. In fact it's going to get worse. And it's not really about California. Look at the demographics. Which of the two sexes reads more books today? Which one earns more college degrees, especially in literature and the humanities?

We're not going to return to the era where most of an Obsidian RPG's writers were overeducated dudes who were born in the 1970s and played Planescape: Torment in college. That generation has moved on. You should actually expect majority-female or even all-female RPG writing teams to be the norm in the future.
Scariest thing I've ever read.
:prosper:

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Ah I see we've arrived at the inevitable "bitch about millennial female writers" part of this game's lifecycle. Might as well get it over with.

But look, this isn't a thing that's going to go away. In fact it's going to get worse. And it's not really about California. Look at the demographics. Which of the two sexes reads more books today? Which one earns more college degrees, especially in literature and the humanities?

We're not going to return to the era where most of an Obsidian RPG's writers were overeducated dudes who were born in the 1970s and played Planescape: Torment in college. That generation has moved on. You should actually expect majority-female or even all-female RPG writing teams to be the norm in the future.
Scariest thing I've ever read.
:prosper:

It's also pretty accurate, based on current industry (both book and game) projections. Out in the western world, anyway.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Interesting to revisit Jedi Master Radek's interview with Leonard from 2016: https://rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=10425

Since the collapse of Troika, have there been any games with an art style that appealed to you as an artist? If so, what are they?

· Bioshock and Bioshock Infinite - felt very akin to the FO/Arcanum aesthetic to me in a lot of ways, and I obviously have a lot of love for both the retro and steampunk genres.

· Dishonored - great job of stylization over photorealism, making their characters and world realistic and painterly at the same time (something we tried and failed to do with our characters in Vampire), plus an interestingly different take on a steampunk type world.

· Wolfenstein New Order - Hmmm... I'm sensing a trend here... loved the feel of their world.

These are all beautiful games in their own right, but they're also all very original and different, which is usually a huge part of whether a game's art appeals to me or not.

That new Cuphead game looks awesome, as well, even though I'm not much into side scrollers.

The clues were there all along!

mondblut

Arcane

We don't need Obsidian (or you) telling us that the corpse of RPGs is irrepairably and irrevocably decomposing into a pile of stinking, maggot-infested goo. We have eyes. And noses.

If anything, I am puzzled at the fools who do not dismiss this trash outright on the grounds of it being done in 2018 and by a team larger than two. Well, one is born every minute, they say. Wake me up when reality hits and the tears of raeg start flowing.

moon knight

Matt7895's alt
ffs ıts not rocket science, one wouldn't need to play fallout 1 or even be aware of "dumb dialogue" beforehand to understand what the fuck it is.

Really? What I saw of the dumb dialogue in the gameplay video is not really dumb dialogue like in Fallout 1-2, it's just silly shit played for a laugh...which makes me think that it's no the character that is dumb and can't talk, but it's the character "acting" dumb.

Because if it was really like Fallout 1 and 2 you wouldn't have the [Dumb] option, everything would be dumb dialogue instead.

And this is why it's important to play the fucking games.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Y'know this line from a Gamespot interview was posted earlier but no one paid any attention to it.

Leonard Boyarsky said:
Obviously our combat isn't going to be as good as Call of Duty because that's not what we are here to do.

They don't even expect to hit the low bar that is CawwaDuty. Anyone expecting anything more than a typical molepopper is foolish.

Now with that out of the way, gossip.

As for Dollarhyde, any profile or general Twitter picture showing that much face has something to hide, and that something is likely to be body fat.

Yeah, she's oneathose overweight vegans. http://vegansaurus.com/post/3185262242/vegansaurus-interview-kate-dollarhyde

Kate Dollarhyde: When I first decided to go vegan it was absolutely for animal rights reasons. How could I see the evidence of animal abuses and torment and not act, especially when the act, for me, would be so easy? I was lucky to go vegan where I did—right in the center of San Francisco: a block from a forward-thinking Safeway, a quick jaunt from Rainbow Grocery, mere feet from the Castro farmers’ market. It was like magic, the convenience of it.

As I matured in my veganity, I read over and over about how destructive animal farming is to our ecosystems, our soils, and that’s what really sealed the deal. And health? I was never concerned with health! Do you guys know how many cupcakes I eat? I’m at like at least 1,000 per day. I might have a problem.
I was a vegetarian for two years before that, though that was much more difficult than the veganism is because my family was less willing to accommodate me, especially during holiday meals. But my dad is vegan now, so it’s all good.

I do very thrilling desk work for a biotech start up in Berkeley; you know, research, coffee brewing, presentation compiling, dish-doing, all the exciting stuff. I was wary of taking the job because (in the interest of full disclosure) the company I work for contracts with labs that do animal testing. I didn’t have a lot of options when I graduated from college with a useless BA in a field that requires a doctorate, so when I was offered a job that would pay me a living wage with health and dental insurance included, I couldn’t turn it down.

The device they’re developing could save millions of human lives a year, but I still find it difficult to square with my vegan beliefs. Of course I’m against animal testing, but if one of my family members contracted the disease they’re trying to cure would I be glad the device existed? Heck yes I would be.

I checked her linkedin and that major was anthropology. Typical SanFran dummy with a useless degree, lucks into becoming a writer for an inept RPG developer circling the drain.

Oracsbox

Y'know this line from a Gamespot interview was posted earlier but no one paid any attention to it.

Leonard Boyarsky said:
Obviously our combat isn't going to be as good as Call of Duty because that's not what we are here to do.

They don't even expect to hit the low bar that is CawwaDuty. Anyone expecting anything more than a typical molepopper is foolish.

Now with that out of the way, gossip.

As for Dollarhyde, any profile or general Twitter picture showing that much face has something to hide, and that something is likely to be body fat.

Yeah, she's oneathose overweight vegans. http://vegansaurus.com/post/3185262242/vegansaurus-interview-kate-dollarhyde

Kate Dollarhyde: When I first decided to go vegan it was absolutely for animal rights reasons. How could I see the evidence of animal abuses and torment and not act, especially when the act, for me, would be so easy? I was lucky to go vegan where I did—right in the center of San Francisco: a block from a forward-thinking Safeway, a quick jaunt from Rainbow Grocery, mere feet from the Castro farmers’ market. It was like magic, the convenience of it.

As I matured in my veganity, I read over and over about how destructive animal farming is to our ecosystems, our soils, and that’s what really sealed the deal. And health? I was never concerned with health! Do you guys know how many cupcakes I eat? I’m at like at least 1,000 per day. I might have a problem.
I was a vegetarian for two years before that, though that was much more difficult than the veganism is because my family was less willing to accommodate me, especially during holiday meals. But my dad is vegan now, so it’s all good.

I do very thrilling desk work for a biotech start up in Berkeley; you know, research, coffee brewing, presentation compiling, dish-doing, all the exciting stuff. I was wary of taking the job because (in the interest of full disclosure) the company I work for contracts with labs that do animal testing. I didn’t have a lot of options when I graduated from college with a useless BA in a field that requires a doctorate, so when I was offered a job that would pay me a living wage with health and dental insurance included, I couldn’t turn it down.

The device they’re developing could save millions of human lives a year, but I still find it difficult to square with my vegan beliefs. Of course I’m against animal testing, but if one of my family members contracted the disease they’re trying to cure would I be glad the device existed? Heck yes I would be.

I checked her linkedin and that major was anthropology. Typical SanFran dummy with a useless degree, lucks into becoming a writer for an inept RPG developer circling the drain.

Holy fuck we are doomed
:0-13:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Anyway... didn't that very Morrowind have a window essentially stating "hey genius, you have just killed a key character, now you won't be able to finish the game, you moron. now you may keep wandering around aimlessly if you wish, of course, but why not do the right thing for once and fucking reload?" Frankly, I don't see how is that superior to "Todd Howard is essential! Todd Howard is essential! Todd Howard is essential!". At least the later can inspire some funny memes.

d9de52508edde7cd5cb34ad14651ab5e--kids-playing-video-games.jpg
Morrowind had a backdoor built into the main quest that allowed the PC to obtain Wraithguard from Vivec's corpse, learn how to use it (requiring just one specific NPC), and then proceed to the normal end stages of the main quest (obtain Keening, obtain Sunder, confront Dagoth Ur, destroy the Heart of Lorkhan).

Moreover, it also turned out to be possible to skip straight to the end stages of the main quest and complete the game even without Wraithguard, thus a sort of unintended double-backdoor.

Furthermore, you could kill each NPC upon which the main quest depended after you had already accomplished the relevant section of the main quest, allowing you to complete the main quest normally while still killing everyone.

Oracsbox

Anyway... didn't that very Morrowind have a window essentially stating "hey genius, you have just killed a key character, now you won't be able to finish the game, you moron. now you may keep wandering around aimlessly if you wish, of course, but why not do the right thing for once and fucking reload?" Frankly, I don't see how is that superior to "Todd Howard is essential! Todd Howard is essential! Todd Howard is essential!". At least the later can inspire some funny memes.

d9de52508edde7cd5cb34ad14651ab5e--kids-playing-video-games.jpg
Morrowind had a backdoor built into the main quest that allowed the PC to obtain Wraithguard from Vivec's corpse, learn how to use it (requiring just one specific NPC), and then proceed to the normal end stages of the main quest (obtain Keening, obtain Sunder, confront Dagoth Ur, destroy the Heart of Lorkhan).

Moreover, it also turned out to be possible to skip straight to the end stages of the main quest and complete the game even without Wraithguard, thus a sort of unintended double-backdoor.

Furthermore, you could kill each NPC upon which the main quest depended after you had already accomplished the relevant section of the main quest, allowing you to complete the main quest normally while still killing everyone.
Yes but why would you do any of this ?
I'm still trying to find Caius Cosades there is no map marker.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Really? What I saw of the dumb dialogue in the gameplay video is not really dumb dialogue like in Fallout 1-2, it's just silly shit played for a laugh...which makes me think that it's no the character that is dumb and can't talk, but it's the character "acting" dumb.

Nah, it's just dumb like this:

upload_2018-12-12_2-18-34.jpeg

Rather than dumb like this:

upload_2018-12-12_2-19-48.png

Interesting to revisit Jedi Master Radek's interview with Leonard from 2016: https://rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=10425

Since the collapse of Troika, have there been any games with an art style that appealed to you as an artist? If so, what are they?

· Bioshock and Bioshock Infinite - felt very akin to the FO/Arcanum aesthetic to me in a lot of ways, and I obviously have a lot of love for both the retro and steampunk genres.

· Dishonored - great job of stylization over photorealism, making their characters and world realistic and painterly at the same time (something we tried and failed to do with our characters in Vampire), plus an interestingly different take on a steampunk type world.

· Wolfenstein New Order - Hmmm... I'm sensing a trend here... loved the feel of their world.

These are all beautiful games in their own right, but they're also all very original and different, which is usually a huge part of whether a game's art appeals to me or not.

That new Cuphead game looks awesome, as well, even though I'm not much into side scrollers.

The clues were there all along!

Correct. If you had read my interview closely, you would already knew all important info long time ago.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom