Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Why even defend Boyarsky?
From that 14 minutes video it's already apparent that FPS-part of TOW won't be good.

Because like all fanboys its in the nature of Obsidantards to shill for their beloved company.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
right in the center of San Francisco: a block from a forward-thinking Safeway, a quick jaunt from Rainbow Grocery, mere feet from the Castro farmers’ market.
Lol, somebody has been taking SEO courses - "How to unobtrusively drop the right keywords in our blog article". :lol:

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
From an outsider perspective the biggest problem with obsidian (which inxile also shares) is corporate nepotism.

Microsoft acquiring them might have actually been what they needed.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

DayofBlow

Educated
When it comes to shooter mechanics and gameplay, isn't Call of Duty considered one of the best if not the best at that genre. But, yeah. Let's call it a low bar because you don't happen to like it :)
You're probably doing it wrong when even pcgamesn and gamesradar say you're full of shit. There are more sites that confirm this, but I think you get the point.
That said, CoD is low bar. Maybe Boyarsky doesn't realize this or simply misspoke, but that is actually how it is.

The 25 best FPS games to play right now
15 Best PC First Person Shooters

First link:
6. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered
23. Call of Duty: Black Ops 3

Second link: (not organised)

Call of Duty: WWII

Swing and a miss. 2 in fact. Get one more and you're out.

As far as core FPS gameplay goes, CoD is good. Always has been, kinda its issue that it never changed all that much. Fast, responsive, precise, fluid, enemy hit reactions are good, looks polished. (And a sight better than TOW by the looks of it.) The game on top of that is the thing that's questionable at times.

Of course, if you hate low time to kill, you'll fucking hate it.

Wunderbar

Arcane
p6ad3tkebo321.jpg

Cross

Arcane
Actually, being unlike CoD is good news.
But it is like CoD. Like almost every mainstream shooter made in the last 10 years, The Outer Worlds looks to be using the same combination of slow movement + iron sights that CoD popularized.

orcinator

Liturgist
PLEBEIANS DISPERSE COD IS GARBAGE

Okay seriously, it has always been a shit FPS that focused more on cool and epic setpieces and minigames over interesting gameplay, resulting in a something that you could have watched on youtube.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Actually, being unlike CoD is good news.
But it is like CoD. Like almost every mainstream shooter made in the last 10 years, The Outer Worlds looks to be using the same combination of slow movement + iron sights that CoD popularized.
I don't know how much you've been around FPS games, but the COD style of playing peek-a-boo with the AI is far different than Bethesda's clunky strafe and shoot style where enemies don't use cover, the mouse controls are less responsive, and the time to kill is higher. I would take the clunky Bethesda style over the classic popamole.

Also, iron sights entered nu-Fallout with Obsidian's FNV, not with Bethesda's Fallout 3.

AwesomeButton

Patron
I checked her linkedin and that major was anthropology. Typical SanFran dummy with a useless degree, lucks into becoming a writer for an inept RPG developer circling the drain.
BTW, the degree doesn't have to be useless if you are working on a fantasy RPG. I wonder if she has put any knowledge from her studies into her Deadfire work. Of course, if you are serious in your studies and serious in your crafted fantasy setting, it would help, like Josh's work with the languages.

turkishronin

Arcane
Y'know this line from a Gamespot interview was posted earlier but no one paid any attention to it.

Leonard Boyarsky said:
Obviously our combat isn't going to be as good as Call of Duty because that's not what we are here to do.

They don't even expect to hit the low bar that is CawwaDuty. Anyone expecting anything more than a typical molepopper is foolish.

Now with that out of the way, gossip.

As for Dollarhyde, any profile or general Twitter picture showing that much face has something to hide, and that something is likely to be body fat.

Yeah, she's oneathose overweight vegans. http://vegansaurus.com/post/3185262242/vegansaurus-interview-kate-dollarhyde

Kate Dollarhyde: When I first decided to go vegan it was absolutely for animal rights reasons. How could I see the evidence of animal abuses and torment and not act, especially when the act, for me, would be so easy? I was lucky to go vegan where I did—right in the center of San Francisco: a block from a forward-thinking Safeway, a quick jaunt from Rainbow Grocery, mere feet from the Castro farmers’ market. It was like magic, the convenience of it.

As I matured in my veganity, I read over and over about how destructive animal farming is to our ecosystems, our soils, and that’s what really sealed the deal. And health? I was never concerned with health! Do you guys know how many cupcakes I eat? I’m at like at least 1,000 per day. I might have a problem.
I was a vegetarian for two years before that, though that was much more difficult than the veganism is because my family was less willing to accommodate me, especially during holiday meals. But my dad is vegan now, so it’s all good.

I do very thrilling desk work for a biotech start up in Berkeley; you know, research, coffee brewing, presentation compiling, dish-doing, all the exciting stuff. I was wary of taking the job because (in the interest of full disclosure) the company I work for contracts with labs that do animal testing. I didn’t have a lot of options when I graduated from college with a useless BA in a field that requires a doctorate, so when I was offered a job that would pay me a living wage with health and dental insurance included, I couldn’t turn it down.

The device they’re developing could save millions of human lives a year, but I still find it difficult to square with my vegan beliefs. Of course I’m against animal testing, but if one of my family members contracted the disease they’re trying to cure would I be glad the device existed? Heck yes I would be.

I checked her linkedin and that major was anthropology. Typical SanFran dummy with a useless degree, lucks into becoming a writer for an inept RPG developer circling the drain.

Holy fuck we are doomed
:0-13:

When will you storyfags realize that actual good writers don't write for videogames(especially rpgs lol)

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
FPS/RPG hybrids don't have as fluid gameplay as pure shooters, that's common knowledge. Deus Ex (or Bloodlines, System Shock 2) never felt as good as Doom or Quake, Boyarsky just used CoD as an example because that's the most popular modern FPS franchise. You could argue similar rules apply to isometric games as well, Fallout 1 and 2 didn't have as good tactical combat as Jagged Alliance, you can't polish every part of the game.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
BTW, the degree doesn't have to be useless if you are working on a fantasy RPG. I wonder if she has put any knowledge from her studies into her Deadfire work. Of course, if you are serious in your studies and serious in your crafted fantasy setting, it would help, like Josh's work with the languages.
deadfire's mundane part actually works well. I like post colonial setting, with a global trade network just starting up, rearing its gear and countless discoveries.

The "fantasy" part sadly, is lacking. The only thing it has going is the soul thing, which isnt really quite a novelty too. Xaurips, nagas, and most of the monsters sre copy paste dnd with copyright proctection. The artificial gods are interesting, but aside from that, they act and speak like your usual dnd pantheon.

Poe would be so much better if they focus on the mundane, and keep gods and stuff in the background.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
deadfire's mundane part actually works well. I like post colonial setting, with a global trade network just starting up, rearing its gear and countless discoveries.

The "fantasy" part sadly, is lacking. The only thing it has going is the soul thing, which isnt really quite a novelty too. Xaurips, nagas, and most of the monsters sre copy paste dnd with copyright proctection. The artificial gods are interesting, but aside from that, they act and speak like your usual dnd pantheon.

Poe would be so much better if they focus on the mundane, and keep gods and stuff in the background.

Now I think PoE is garbage D&D derivative, but out of all the clear D&D derivative things you chose fucking nagas? You can't derive common folk fantasy of real world like that.

I for one am hoping that The Outer Worlds shows the mature side of veganity.
Sex scenes with overweight people?

You can blame vegans for a lot of things, but being overweight isn't one of them.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Now I think PoE is garbage D&D derivative, but out of all the clear D&D derivative things you chose fucking nagas? You can't derive common folk fantasy of real world like that.

I for one am hoping that The Outer Worlds shows the mature side of veganity.
Sex scenes with overweight people?

You can blame vegans for a lot of things, but being overweight isn't one of them.
i am just picking random example that comes to mind, you should get my point.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Instead of decidedly tired, regular and simple FPS, they really should try to figure out different design methods that have some at least semi-interesting systems involved, and see where that gets them.

I think it’s a question worth asking what would make first person RPG combat fun, if it isn’t FPS nor turnbased (which I don’t think they’d even consider, at least not at this point anymore).

FeelTheRads

Arcane
When will you storyfags realize that actual good writers don't write for videogames(especially rpgs lol)

Well, really it's more about not being obnoxious political garbage and/or modern zany shit than being "good".

I'd say it's a bit of a difference between being OK with that and being OK with, I don't know, "evil power awakens you're the only one who can stop it".

But this shit is the norm now. Good thing I don't really care for newfag gameplay either, so I can just safely avoid it.

Flou

Arbiter
You're probably doing it wrong when even pcgamesn and gamesradar say you're full of shit. There are more sites that confirm this, but I think you get the point.
That said, CoD is low bar. Maybe Boyarsky doesn't realize this or simply misspoke, but that is actually how it is.

The 25 best FPS games to play right now
15 Best PC First Person Shooters

#6 is low bar? That other list has one Call of Duty game as well. I said one of the best if not the best. If being on top6 and top15 isn't considered being one of the best in the genre....

Hellion

Arcane
He's probably referring to "CoD Combat" because, whether we like it or not, it's the archetypical fast-paced FPS combat that comes to most people's minds (even non-gamers) when they hear the words "First-Person Shooter", not because he considers it to be the best game combat system in the history of game combat systems, maybe ever.

The over-analysis of every single word uttered about this game is amusing, though. Do continue.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom