Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lick or Litch?

How do you pronounce Lich?

• Litch

Votes: 154 83.2%
  • Lick

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • King Komrade

Votes: 25 13.5%

• Total voters
Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
How do you personally pronounce the word Lich?

& is there an official way based on something concrete?

I've always said Litch, there's no other word it can be confused with & it sounds more like a creature that dwells in damp & dank places than saying Lick, which is confusing by sound, unimpactful in an auditory sense & is one of those sounds that could easily be confused with someone just clearing their throat. A voice artist can do a lot with the word Litch, but sounds constipated saying Lick.

Poll is single choice, people can change their vote.

Bocian

Arcane
both.jpg

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
It's litch because otherwise as a DM, I'd be talking abouts licks throwing spells around and that sounds really kinky, and my party doesn't need any help getting to that point.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Lich = Litch

Makes the monster sound much more dangerous anyways. "A lick appears" vs. "A litch appears."

octavius

Arcane
Patron
The word may have been originally pronounced more like "lick".
I assume it's from the same stem as the Norwegian word "lik" (pronounced like "leek") which means corpse. And English has changed much more than Norwegian, or just about any language probably, the last 1000 years.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
The word may have been originally pronounced more like "lick".
I assume it's from the same stem as the Norwegian word "lik" which means corpse. And English has changed much more than Norwegian, or just about any language probablt, the last 1000 years.
That's a fair point. Still pronounced Litch. Just like Knight isn't pronounced Kuhnighit

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
OED has it as Litch. For some reason I thought it was a velar fricative, like Spanish "j." Maybe because of Loch Ness. So kingcomrade it is! :obviously:

V_K

Arcane
I assume it's from the same stem as the Norwegian word "lik" (pronounced like "leek") which means corpse. And English has changed much more than Norwegian, or just about any language probably, the last 1000 years.
And in Danish the same word is "lig", pronounced "lee", without any consonant at the end. You can't draw any conclusions from either of the facts, each language developed in its own way and has its own rules.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
OED has it as Litch. For some reason I thought it was a velar fricative, like Spanish "j." Maybe because of Loch Ness. So kingcomrade it is! :obviously:

A good real word modern word for comparison would be the country of Lichtenstein.

That sounds ok in both the German and English versions:

German: Licktenstine
English: Litchenstine

Loch is a good example of that awkward throat clearing sound being used in English though, so good example there, it's not an outright ck sound, but that course ch sound of loch.

G.O.D

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
And if one scales the Lich up a tier.. would it be "Ark-Lich" or "Artsh-Lich"?

I always pronounced it as "Artsh". It bothered me when I heard it pronounced as "Ark".

Perhaps I'm wrong, and it's on me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom