Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lick or Litch?

How do you pronounce Lich?

• Litch

Votes: 154 83.2%
  • Lick

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • King Komrade

Votes: 25 13.5%

• Total voters

G.O.D

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
I just saw I asked the exact same a few years back when I clicked the link some posts above. Guess Groundhog day still hasn't passed.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The word seems to come from the Old English word "līc" meaning body. Fun fact: This also where the word "like" comes from, literally "having the body of." Anyway, Wikipedia spells it "līċ" (Wikipedia was the only source I could find in five minutes, sue me. They may or may not have taken that spelling from the OED, but that's behind a paywall so I can't check). The dot on top of the c is sometimes used in modern times to indicate the sibilant pronunciation of c in Old English, which is /tʃ/, or "tch" if you will (as opposed to modern English, where the sibilant pronunciation of c is /s/, as in "central").
TLDR: It's Litch. We knew that already.

Fun thread! I see that someone in the old thread made a post excactly like mine, and I could've just quoted that one.

I pronounce it "lit-ch" because, Ich spreche Englisch, nicht Deutsch. If they didn't want it pronounced that way, they should have used the letter k. I still lay all blame on the Normans. They did to the English language what the Ottomans did to the Hagia Sophia.

Deleted Member 16721

And the plural is "litches". Although I am guilty of sometimes pronouncing it as "lick" for some reason. Depends on the mood I'm in I guess.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Sometimes I think of it as sounding like "leash" because I've seen "liche" as an alternate spelling.

I'm not sure I've ever had occasion to actually speak the word out loud.

Last edited:

Dorateen

Arcane
What did the Dreadlord in Secret of the Silver Blades say when asked how to pronounce lich?

Nothing!

Because our party's cleric cast Silence 15' Radius on himself, and then moved next to the Dreadlord, thus preventing the lich from casting any magic.

My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
How do you get Lick or Litch out of it? There's no T in Lich and by default ch doesn't use the hard K sound. So I pronounce it with the li like the start of lips and the ch like the start of cheese.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
How do you get Lick or Litch out of it? There's no T in Lich and by default ch doesn't use the hard K sound. So I pronounce it with the li like the start of lips and the ch like the start of cheese.
Phonetically speaking there is a t in both Lich and cheese, which I think is what OP was getting at. I struggle to see another way to pronounce Litch in English than with the "cheese" consonant, whereas Lich can be more ambiguous, and "by default" tends not to be particularly reliable when you're dealing with words as esoteric as this. Plenty of words with a ch in spelling have a hard k sound: Christmas, chameleon, chrome, chimaera, etc.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Werdna's Revenge seems like a French Canuck.

Funny thing is that in French "Liche" is both the english noun Lich and the english verb/noun Lick. It is pronounced "lish", no t sound before the ch.

Bastardchops

Augur
Patron
I've never heard anyone pronounce it lick. I always thought the pronunciation question was between litch and liche, like a quiche.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom