Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

mondblut

Arcane
That's right, magic users always cast at the end of the round. It is a throw back to Original Dungeons & Dragons, and the way spell casting was handled.

Pretty terrible idea really. Those few encounters where you need to resort to magic will fuck you up before you have a chance to, leaving you better off reloading and triggering some other kind of encounter in its stead. Having a bard and a sage take their turns blowing their trumpets is infinitely more efficient.

Dorateen

Arcane
Magic use for them is more of a support role, as their refresh and removing of conditions can be appreciated outside of combat.
Not my Bard when I finished the game. That motherfucker was killing everyone.

Was your Bard killing everyone through magic, or by using instruments and weaponry? I was talking about a support role only as far as the Bard casting spells. Otherwise, I agree. Our party's Bard was ahead in kills most of the game until the Giant Berserker got his speed up to 100 and Lethal Blow up to 100 and was murdering everything in sight.

mondblut

I remember the first time I caught on to the initiative pattern of casting, early in the game... I was thinking, why is the cleric and wizard going last in the round? It wasn't like that when they attacked with melee weapons.

But would you consider the late round casting to be a counter to powerful magic? Some people have criticized overpowered spells. I always thought, so what if I Deep Freezed the fiend Asmodeus, if I had to survive the first round before magic-users could even act.

Viata

Arcane
Was your Bard killing everyone through magic, or by using instruments and weaponry? I was talking about a support role only as far as the Bard casting spells.
I see, makes sense. Since my Bard was broken (early version of the game), there was no reason for me to use any of his spells.

mondblut

Arcane
But would you consider the late round casting to be a counter to powerful magic? Some people have criticized overpowered spells. I always thought, so what if I Deep Freezed the fiend Asmodeus, if I had to survive the first round before magic-users could even act.

Dunno, I never needed overpowered spells :lol: By the time you learn them, your superfast lethalblowing front guys can already clear out anything within one round. I mean, the overpowered horn of winter was a nifty exploit, but I did just fine after it was nerfed - and it is accessible far earlier in the game than the spell and does not suffer initiative penalties.

mondblut

Arcane
I mean, the overpowered horn of winter was a nifty exploit, but I did just fine after it was nerfed

Was it nerfed retroactively or if you already have a save game with it in your inventory will it retain its mighty power?

I can't recall many games where items are stored in a save completely with all their properties and not just as a pointer to the game resources. Pretty certain this is not the case.

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Steam:
Once again, more lies and ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥t regarding the time frame for putting out the manual. If you've been working on something for twenty bleeping years, you know how long it takes you to get♥♥♥♥♥♥done. When are we getting the damn manual?????????????????????? Stop with the F*****G excuses and put the manual out ASAP. A game like this is basically worthless without the manual.

GOLDEN ERA GAMES
[developer] 11 Dec @ 4:57am
It's a serious thing to call somebody a liar on the internet. Missing delivery dates on software is so common it is practically a universal meme. It doesn't make a man a liar. You're pretty loose with those insults, anonymous person. Nobody is making excuses for adding another 100 hours of content and a whole new play mechanic to Grimoire for V2. It's just running late because I can't work hard enough to finish it all. If you ever do anything technical in your life, you may discover it is a very common experience to underestimate how long it will take to deliver. With Grimoire, just finishing off the new content is nothing. It has to be tested, retested and tested again to make sure it doesn't interfere with completion or mess up any existing logic or break any code. I don't know how many hours you work a day. In addition to my day job, I worked about 18 hours over the weekend and 6 hours most nights for the past couple of months putting new graphics together, adding and tweaking new story content, testing and retesting the changes to mechanics and maps. I spent most of the weekend getting the new "Titan Mines" and "Titan Underground Lake" correct in any playthrough with different styles. This area has three new NPCs (graphics and animation by me) and three new major puzzles involving graphics and animation. This whole area when completed is just to set up another area for a gateway to the mysterious fifth ending for the game, which I am completing now including cutscenes, graphics and animation. Normally a game like Grimoire would require a team of at least 10 ordinary mortals. I am doing all of it by myself.

I know from experience that non-technical people don't know where all this stuff comes from. They just think it "made itself" and "put itself" into the game somehow. Actually I spent hours editing by pixel the animations and artwork before then animating and packing it into the game by running the mega slicer on all the images to pack, which itself takes two hours in DOS mode to pack and slice all animation images in Grimoire. I then spent another couple hours adjusting animations, making sure control frames worked right and switching contexts to other animations under program control worked right. If I designed Grimoire today I could cut this development time to 20% of the current requirements with a different design of the editors based on 4 GIGs of RAM instead of 2 MBs of RAM available, but I am not rewriting the editing system for this iteration.

Draxylon

Savant
I must applaud to this reply from Cleve. I don't understand why everytime he needed to explain why he missed his delivery dates he didn't make such a serious, relaxed and insightful response.
I understand what he says, but I really don't understand why he doesn't finish the manual and publish it before adding more content and "muh balance" to Grimoire. BUT, it's his baby... he and only he makes and decides with his magnus opus whatever he wants.

Bohr

Arcane
It's more fun adding content than actually writing the manual. Been a long time since I dabbled in hobbyist game dev but Cleve's antics and excuses do stir a few old memories.

Draxylon

Savant
It's more fun adding content than actually writing the manual.
Agree. I think that's the main reason. I was surprised when he published the cover and then he started to talk about a version 2. If it's so tedious for him to write it, he could got rid of it and recommend the fanmade wiki. Not the first game without a manual. Or kidnap his best friend Brenda and force her to write it. :D But anyway...

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
If it's so tedious for him to write it, he could got rid of it and recommend the fanmade wiki.

He is supposed to finish it because it was promised to pledgers. Leather bound manuals written on parchment made of the skin of young aboriginal boys he's raped and killed over the years. And don't forget the boxed copies of the game he still owes people. It is to come with a bottle of genuine dingo semen, which he collects the old fashioned way, by mouth.

So, no..the manual will never come out because then he would actually have to deliver on his promises.

Zep--

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
You learn to be a more patient and disciplined person with Cleve, I'll give you that. This is not easy but totally worth it, you will be thankful for it. We can learn a lot from neanderthals.

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Did the Epic Games Store contact you yet? One would assume so, since having Grimoire in their inventory would boost the startup Steam competitor significantly (on the other hand Grimoire might be far too much incline, after all they cater to people who like fortnite).

If not, the EGS would offer Golden Era Games an alternate distribution channel for their current flagship title and additional revenue streams.

mondblut

Arcane
If it's so common to underestimate the time it will take, why not overestimate with the release date?

Because deadlines are great motivators. Well, not that great, but the only ones that somewhat work.

Would you rather hear "the V2 will probably be available sometime in 2024, and the manual a while later"?

GandGolf

Augur
Some poor fool on the Steam forum made the mistake of asking Cleve about his physical fitness. Now Cleve is going post all his gym stories about how he can bench press a double decker bus and how he's never taken any medication for anything.

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Steam:
I have a couple questions. Do you get a lot of enjoyment out of playing your game? I'm honestly curious if spending so long making a game, and knowing literally everything about the game diminishes the joy factor for you. I've often wanted to make my own game, but one of the reasons I didn't was fear that I wouldn't enjoy it because I know everything about it and had to test every single thing. The other reason being that I have the laziness of 10 ordinary mortals.

Has spending so long making a game had an effect on your physical health? I imagine having to work a full-time job and then spending the rest of your time working on the game leaves you little time to exercise or even get out of the house.

GOLDEN ERA GAMES
[developer] 21 hours ago
Since I started work on Grimoire in 1995 I have quadrupled my bone density and almost tripled my muscle mass in kilos. I am nearly 400% stronger in many major multijoint exercises like the hack squat and pullover according to carefully maintained records over 25 years. Despite having never touched steroids in my life, my workout weight compares favorably with Norwegian Olympic Power Lifters and the strongest men on Earth according to the data released by their own coaches. A CT Scan of my brain revealed that between the ages of 29 and 54, when men normally lose brain mass and their brain shrinks, mine actually increased almost a 100 cc in size and shows no atrophy of any kind at the age of 54. Don't worry about me, I seem to be doing okay. Whatever I am doing, it appears to be working better than what the rest of you are doing.

Note that the recent revelations that Australian drinking water contains 18 times the safe levels of lead legal in the United States would in itself provide an instant explanation of some of these differences, since I drink nearly all bottled or spring water and never drink from the tap here in Australia despite the locals making fun of me the past quarter century. Lead poisoning alone blocks muscle growth, causes brain atrophy and leaches off bone calcium. So by simply avoiding the lead in the water here I would have done myself an enormous favor. Every time I have told the locals the water is bad here, they have laughed at me.

Do you know how people tell you how all those vitamins will just go out in your urine and they are a waste of time? Well, it turns out ... they don't. But it is too late for most people my age to benefit much from vitamins unless they've been taking a bucket a day for decades like I have. Not just any vitamins, either. Stuff that is the product of tens of thousands of hours of reading. Lately I discovered MSM - highly recommended for people over 40, it's a miracle worker.

GandGolf

Augur
GOLDEN ERA GAMES [developer]
Note that the recent revelations that Australian drinking water contains 18 times the safe levels of lead legal in the United States ...
Of course Cleve would fight to the death against any regulation that would limit the amount of lead in people's drinking water as that would be an affront to free market capitalism.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
random Steam guy said:
I have a couple questions. Do you get a lot of enjoyment out of playing your game? I'm honestly curious if spending so long making a game, and knowing literally everything about the game diminishes the joy factor for you.

Clebeland Hulk Quakemore said:
First off son, you need to understand I'm not a normal human being like you and your mommy. I still bench press elephants everyday, and that's before I even get out of bed. Might have something to do with the fact that I eat 3 raw eggs as part of my morning routine; and I eat them while they're still inside the chicken. This way, all the sodium fluoride that the gubmint injects into the breakfast eggs of underdeveloped weaklings like you can't steal all my muscle mass, nor can it shrink my brain to the size of a lizard's as is the case with all other Australians past the age of 30.

:kingcomrade:

Last edited:

DoomIhlVaria

Cipher
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here I'm very into cock and ball torture
Clebeland Hulk Quakemore said:
Might have something to do with the fact that I eat 3 raw eggs as part of my morning routine; and I eat them while they're still inside the chicken. This way, all the sodium fluoride that the gubmint injects into the breakfast eggs of underdeveloped weaklings like you can't steal all my muscle mass, nor can it shrink my brain to the size of a lizard's as is the case with all other Australians past the age of 30.

I've been only consuming two raw eggs every morning and I get mine from the grocery store. I feel like such a fool now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom