Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arkane Dishonored 2 - Emily and Corvo's Serkonan Vacation

Dreed

Bremsstrahlunged
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
:decline:
Dishonored is “resting for now” and future Arkane games could incorporate seamless multiplayer and different perspectives

Now Prey is out in the wild and Dishonored’s story has wrapped up with the release of Death of the Outsider, what does the future hold for Arkane Studios?

Arkane has always been the immersive sim studio, creating games with deep worlds you can lose yourself in, filled with details that make the places you visit appear believable. We’ve always explored these worlds from first-person, and we’ve always been equipped with an array of powers that allow for experimentation, usually interacting with each other in surprising ways.

The future of Arkane will retain these core tenets, but it seems like the developer will also experiment more and test the bounds of what an immersive sim is.

Arkane previously experimented with incorporating multiplayer into the genre with a cancelled game called The Crossing. The Crossing aimed to make one person the protagonist, while player-controlled characters interrupted their story and attempted to stop them.

During QuakeCon 2018, I asked Arkane lead designer Ricardo Bare if it’s likely we’ll see a return to something like The Crossing.

“Not literally The Crossing, but for sure some elements,” Bare explains. “Being able to incorporate more online sharing or multiplayer type stuff, we totally might do that. It’s interesting because, for a while, there was this push with a bunch of big publishers to force teams to include multiplayer modes. I feel this was super destructive because you end up with a team that’s made a really compelling single-player game, but they were forced to tack on this deathmatch mode or whatever.”

You only have to look at games such as Spec Ops: The Line to see what Bare is referring to here.

“It was super distracting and resource-draining to the team,” he continues. “And, as it turns out, it didn’t help some of those games anyway. But what I feel like is happening now is way different – it’s more community-oriented, it’s more about what gives your game legs, builds community, sharing, and things like that. Games are approaching that with lots of different models.”

dishonored-death-of-the-outsider-600x375.jpg

As for the studio’s most popular series, Dishonored, it seems like it might be a while before we see another, if we do at all. With Arkane’s assassination series, the story came to a natural conclusion with the last release, Death of the Outsider.

“I can’t say definitively what might happen down the road, anything could happen, but [Dishonored] is resting for now,” Bare tells me. “As far as pure immersive sims go, I don’t know if we’re going to continue to make like carbon copy – this qualifies as an immersive sim and it’s the only thing we’re ever going to make.

“The things that are important to us as a studio are coherent, deep world building and environmental storytelling – we’re always going to craft spaces that you feel like you’re visiting, whether it’s Dunwall or Talos 1. It’s just as important a character as the player or the people you meet. Then it’s improvisational gameplay – giving players a bunch of cool abilities and tools, then saying, ‘You figure it out, you be creative, you own the experience’. And, typically, we stick to first-person, though that’s not a hard rule and we might try other things from time to time.”
http://archive.is/uxPGr

Last edited by a moderator:

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Such a shame, although I would attribute it more to shaky performance and seemingly just more of the same aka playing it safe. My only worry is they'll now be relegated to a Bethesda's support studio. Come 2019 and Arkane moves over to manage Elder Scrolls Legends or something.

orcinator

Liturgist
Meh

Dishonored 1 could have been good if it wasn't designed to be played by retards.
Haven't played 2 but while I haven't heard it had anything as insulting as 1's party level I did hear it didn't fix the game's other problems like the lack of difficulty.
Dishonored 3 probably wouldn't have fixed em either.

Of course the publishers are just going to redirect all their money into something even more casual.

A horse of course

In fairness, it seems like the interviewer was pushing the multiplayer ideas, and Arkane just responded as to what could be done with it in the future, as opposed to implying they were done with SP games and were going to churn out multipass trash.

Good to hear Dishonoured is resting (in pieces) though.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
PR talk: https://metro.co.uk/2018/09/13/pete-hines-bethesda-interview-we-do-believe-in-single-player-7939215/

GC: Ultimately I just want you to guarantee there’ll be a Wolfenstein III, because I want to see how it ends.

PH: Yeah, sure. Absolutely we’re making a Wolfenstein III. They said on stage that they’re taking a break from the larger story to do this thing. But we all have to see how that ends. [laughs]

GC: But Dishonored 2, that seemed to go the same way. Everyone worried at the release date beforehand and it seemed to suffer from it in exactly the way they feared. And now apparently the franchise is ‘resting’.

PH: Ah, I wouldn’t read too much into that. Look, Arkane has two studios, they’re working on a number of things. That’s no different than Todd Howard saying, ‘I’m gonna make a Fallout game and then I’m gonna make Starfield before I go back to TES6’. He didn’t say I’m never making another… there’s like, ‘We have an idea for another thing here, we have an idea for another there’.

Skyrim did… well.

GC: I noticed that.

PH: [laughs] People have heard of it, it sold some copies, we released it on a few platforms.

GC: [laughs]

PH: The fact that they’re waiting to do that has nothing to do with the relative success or failure it has to do with, ‘We wanna do this and then we wanna try this other thing because we’ve never done this. And we want to try a new IP because we haven’t done one in… decades’. So what Ricardo [Bare – Dishonored designer] was talking about was more of that. Which is we don’t just want to have a studio that only makes Dishonored games and isn’t allowed to try other things.

GC: I ask only out of concern because even with something like Prey, which I didn’t like quite as much as some people, I still want it to do well. Because we don’t get many of those kind of games anymore and I don’t want to see any publisher become discouraged from making them.

PH: Right, right. I understand.

GC: So there’s nothing that’s happened in terms of sales of recent games that’s caused you to change policy on anything?

PH: No, no. We just released DLC for Prey and we have more coming. We’re putting our money where our mouth is and saying, ‘Look, we do believe in these things. We do believe in single-player! [laughs] We are a business, we are trying to make money so we’re doing things that we think are smart. We’re doing things we think people will want and will be successful. And it’s gonna continue to be a mix.’

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I don't exactly follow Bethesda company lore, but how much of a shit eating corporate is Hines compared to Howard? At least we know Arkane hasn't been forced to a support studio. Yet.

Ash

Arcane
So I started playing this shitty game. In the first encounter with a bunch of enemies a dude jumped into a little candle and instantly died, and the two other enemies also in pursuit ran into the corpse and also instantly died. A pop-up appeared on screen and said I assassinated the target, even though I did nothing except be present and the room of dudes instantly died. OMG muh emergent gameplay!

Afterwards I just went on an assassin's creed-style counter attack instakill awesome button murder spree and then turned off the game. It's just more of the same bland junk the first game was. I'll stick to Arx Fatalis. Maybe even Prey or Dork Messiah if I'm really bored.

Last edited:

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Denuvo is really interesting because Denuvo pounded this game because it CPU bottlenecked. Wonder how it will bench now

Wunderbar

Arcane
I'm not expecting anything groundbreaking, i believe DOTO is basically season pass that was cut from the D2 and became a stand-alone expansion (like Wolfenstein The Old Blood).

Wunderbar

Arcane
Come to think of it, D2 is itself feels like a big expansion pack to D1.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom