Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Was this Kotaku piece posted? (Nothing surprising, imo.) I was sort of expecting what I bolded.
https://kotaku.com/dont-expect-the-...allo-1831074160/amp?__twitter_impression=true
Kotaku is cancer, any piece written by Shillreier is garbage. Read the comments and you'll get cancer..."Uh, I don't have time to play games so it'd better be short!".
Shorter games are better for some. A lot of people really don't have enough time to dedicate to big 35+ hour games. You know, because of real life responsibilities and stuff.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Was this Kotaku piece posted? (Nothing surprising, imo.) I was sort of expecting what I bolded.
https://kotaku.com/dont-expect-the-...allo-1831074160/amp?__twitter_impression=true
Kotaku is cancer, any piece written by Shillreier is garbage. Read the comments and you'll get cancer..."Uh, I don't have time to play games so it'd better be short!".
Kotaku is cancer.

As for the game, the game not being a huge ass open world is a big plus for me. The only open world games which I enjoyed were the ones which are smaller in size. Gothic vs Skyrim, Sleeping Dogs vs GTA, a smaller game which you can finish in a sensible ammount of time suits me better.

Glenda Glenn

Learned
Sounds like some people are only entertained the moment they've finished a game. Doesn't make any sense to me.

"Books should not be any longer than 20 pages, movies 20 min. max, tv series 2 episodes at most... cause I don't have time."

Last edited:

Terenty

Liturgist
It seems you walk&turn incredibly slow according to a gameplay video i saw. Slow as shit. Like you were an elderly man in a wheelchair, just waiting for your diaper to fill up with shit and piss. But you are in cheap nursing home so theres rarely any assistance. You just stare outside through a window with your diaper bursting with shit.

Odd comparison. And oddly vivid description i should say...

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
Just looking and reading about the wymenz writers...You just know it's gonna be a big ol' bag of SJW shit.

MUH LGBTBARBEQUES!

Zep--

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Idgaf about Kotaku. Interesting bit is that the game seems to be more structured like KOTOR than an open world game. I don’t mind, to be honest.

Cross

Arcane
Coincidentally Anthony Burch is the brother of Ashley Burch which was the main VA of Horizon: Zero Dawn which was the last game from John Gonzalez which was a linear (as in narrativly) Action Game pretending to be an RPG which had constant SJW undertones (except for one quest that was overly SJW) which has an enjoyable enough executed (but somewhat cliched) story but not much else.

Which is why I don't really know why John Gonzalez seems to have become some symbol for Obsidian on the codex but ymmv.

And again I enjoyed and still enjoy his work (and he's better than Obsidian's current crop of writers) but seesh. Putting him above Tim and Leonard for some reason is still baffeling to me.
Because horizon zero dawn has a better story and world building than everything obsidian has ever done.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You don't need to edgy-signal every time somebody posts a Kotaku link, people. News is news.

https://kotaku.com/dont-expect-the-outer-worlds-to-be-as-gigantic-as-fallo-1831074160/

The Outer Worlds, the next game from the developers at Obsidian, might be the game I’m most excited for in 2019. Helmed by the original creators of Fallout, it appears poised to be the New Vegas successor that everyone has wanted for years. Just don’t expect it to be quite as vast.

The Outer Worlds, which was announced last week at The Game Awards, is a sci-fi role-playing game set in a universe where corporations have taken over everything. Obsidian communications director Mikey Dowling showed me footage of the game in Los Angeles last week, and it looks excellent, primed to be a charming, funny game full of dialogue choices and interesting decisions. With Fallout 4 disappointing some fans and Fallout 76 launching in rough shape, The Outer Worlds could be just the RPG people have been craving.

Just calibrate your expectations properly. The Outer Worlds, which has been in development since late 2016, is published by Private Division, a label of Take-Two Interactive (parent company of 2K and Rockstar) designed to make “AA” games. They’re not indie, but they’re not big-budget “AAA” RPGs like The Witcher 3or Fallout New Vegas, either. So don’t expect The Outer Worlds to be quite as vast, with a massive open world in which you can get lost for hundreds of hours. This will be a very different experience.

There are two planets in the game, Obsidian says, although they’re not open worlds—they’re compartmentalized. Each of them contains several areas to explore, and Obsidian says there will be plenty to do, but the scale will be very different than New Vegas. “While we aren’t discussing the exact amount of areas, a good bit of context for the approach is to think of what we did in Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II, with potentially more ground to cover and explore in each area,” Dowling said in an e-mail.

Not that this is a bad thing. To those of us who don’t have tons of free time and love the idea of an RPG that can be finished without sacrificing an entire month to the scheduling gods, The Outer Worlds seems just perfect. But with all the Fallout New Vegas comparisons floating around, it’s important for people to know exactly what we’re getting.

A first-person traditional BioWare/Obsidian-style console RPG. Has that ever actually been done before? They were always third-person.

There's Deus Ex, but that's not quite the same sort of thing - I assume this game won't have as much emphasis on environmental exploration/traversal.

Last edited:

imweasel

Interesting bit is that the game seems to be more structured like KOTOR than an open world game.
An actual world with numerous maps/hubs is just better. It makes the world/universe much more believable and everything doesn't feel so cramped. Zipping around the galaxy in Mass Effect and KOTOR was also pretty neat.

Glenda Glenn

Learned
An actual world with numerous maps/hubs is just better. It makes the world/universe much more believable and everything doesn't feel so cramped. Zipping around the galaxy in Mass Effect and KOTOR was also pretty neat.
An "actual" open-world wouldn't require multiple maps, there would be no hubs or loading screens and you'd literally travel around with your ship, instead of watching an FTL jump or a shuttle landing video. I'd prefer real travelling to faking it, much more believable.

A first-person traditional BioWare/Obsidian-style console RPG. Has that ever actually been done before? They were always third-person.
The reason why this game's is 1st person only is they probably wanted to avoid adding cutscenes for each dialogue, at least they won't have to animate the PC.

Last edited:

Molina

Savant
The kotaku news doen't help in fact. TW3 is a 50h-ish game (only for the main quest). A big RPG is long as 40-50h. A small RPG (tyranny for exemple) is long as 20h. FNV lasts 30 hours., same as KOTOR II.
Will we have to expect less than 30 hours? Or, just less than TW3 ?

Molina

Savant
To fluent
Arcanum : 30h
Vampire Bloodlines : 20-25h
P Torment : 30h
PoE : 40h
BG II : 60-70h
FNV : 30h (40-45h if really you want to do a good ladle of side quests )
Fallout 1 : 15-20h
Fallout 2 : 30h (maybe the double if you count all the side quests)
Jade empire =Mass Effect 1 : 15-20h.

Last edited:

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Coincidentally Anthony Burch is the brother of Ashley Burch which was the main VA of Horizon: Zero Dawn which was the last game from John Gonzalez which was a linear (as in narrativly) Action Game pretending to be an RPG which had constant SJW undertones (except for one quest that was overly SJW) which has an enjoyable enough executed (but somewhat cliched) story but not much else.

Which is why I don't really know why John Gonzalez seems to have become some symbol for Obsidian on the codex but ymmv.

And again I enjoyed and still enjoy his work (and he's better than Obsidian's current crop of writers) but seesh. Putting him above Tim and Leonard for some reason is still baffeling to me.
Because horizon zero dawn has a better story and world building than everything obsidian has ever done.

This can't be real...

imweasel

An actual world with numerous maps/hubs is just better.
An "actual" open-world wouldn't require multiple maps [...] I'd prefer real travelling to faking it, much more believable.
Bethesda tried this before. Needless to say everyone stuck to fast traveling.

It took this guy 69 hours and 33 minutes to cross the map. The is part one of fourteen. Enjoy.

Glenda Glenn

Learned
Bethesda tried this before.
Daggerfall didn't have spaceships or space battles. I was referring to Star Citizen's open-world.

The problem with large scale open-worlds like Daggerfall is that the games themselves aren't designed for it. If you were a real person in that world, you'd most likely want to avoid long travels, especially on foot. Still, knowing that you "could" do it if you really want to, is still better than not having that ability at all.

Last edited:

Oracsbox

What the fuck is this shit ? I'm not sure what offended me more the uber shitastic character design,the twitching animation or the bottom tier soap opera writing and acting.
Horizon-Zero-Dawn-Cinematic-Trailer-8.jpg

ZiraCover.jpg

In before racist tag :D.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Btw. this is the sidequest I was talking about:

Go to 4:50 to see a gay fat guy complaining that a *shriveled old priest* won't let him see the holy site his dead lover worked on for religious reasons. (and you HAVE to help him IIRC)

I shit you not.

Last edited:

Oracsbox

Go to 4:50 to see a gay fat guy complaining that a *shriveled old priest* won't let him see the holy site his dead lover worked on for religious reasons. (and you HAVE to help him IIRC)

I shit you not.

Utter garbage tedious dialogue,Fat faced heroine and piss poor combat.

Terenty

Liturgist

I shit you not.

Didnt know David Cage was a fag

NullFlow

Savant
I am perfectly fine with a veering away from open world bloat and all the problems accompanied with it. Everyone is in the rat race for bigger open worlds at the cost of a good game or RPG. If it means deliberatively designed worlds that feel compact and dense with content, chock full of replay value and role-playing opportunities for Outer Worlds, it's a good sign for me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom