Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex Exploration, what do you mean by that?

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
Nobody mentioned it but Vogel's games have top notch exploration.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Geneforge canistres are definitely a nice way of combining the skill progression with exploring. Granted, the first game is the only one i have beaten.

I also recall the voidspire/alvora tactics that had a nice way of integrating crafting into exploration.
The crafting process itself was very simple, just combine the material with the crafting kit. Combine the giant spider fang you just found with the crossbow kit and you get yourself a poison crossbow.
You could also melt items back into the basic material, meaning that if you don't like this new laser sword you can remelt it into the laser axe or spear.

Leitz

Learned
DOOM is the best RPG to understand exploration. You start in a room and see only the room you're in. Then your start moving into new rooms, going through doors, exploring more rooms. After you end up at a door that needs a key, you ricochet from that door into other directions which are by wish more than one...

After rooms, directions, choices, a map developes in your head. You understand your surroundings. The area becomes clear to you. Exploration has been done.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Didn't know that.
I thought that the Chimera implied that he is not a part of the Scorn gang anymore or something like that. Seems like i misunderstood his introduction.

Deleted Member 16721

Agreed. Everything is meticulously hand-placed, including combat encounters and loot. Tougher enemies are there from the start, there's lots of interesting locations to see, and great loot is often guarded by greater enemies. No respawns (I think it's the same in all his games, could be wrong) and a handmade world full of intrigue and mystery generally add to the exploration as well. Jeff knows what he's doing when designing a world. Avernum, Geneforge and Nethergate have great exploration, and even Avadon isn't bad in that regard either.

SupremeLaziness

Barely Literate
I want my exploration to give me the feeling I had wandering the woods by my house as a kid.

Preferably with less discarded needles and hobo camps.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom