Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Dan Vavra's medieval chad simulator

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Sorry but no. If it's less powerful than a 750 Ti, you got no chances to run it at above 5 FPS. I played it at 10-30FPS at lowest settings 900p. True suffering.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
What are your potato's specs?
x4 840 and r7 360. I had no prior proper PC, desk, anything so roughly half my budget went into monitor + desk + peripherals. I intended to buy a new PC this month, but I decided to put it off and wait until CES 2019 in January because AMD is announcing new parts that will apparently release in the second half of that year. I can wait that long and GPUs and RAM are still very overpriced, so time is on my side at the moment.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Interview with Viktor Bocan (lead technical designer and one of the creators of Operation Flashpoint, also a stand up comedian), mostly google translate with some quick fixes.

Q: Since the release of Kingdom Come: Deliverance it has been a while, you have done a lot of fixes and some DLC. When you look back at the game, what do you consider to be your greatest success and what, on the contrary, is the area where you have somehow failed?

I think the best thing is that the game is successful in the sense that we managed to give people a message. We knew we were doing a game that was not entirely for everyone and we hoped people would like it because we like it. This is the thing we often talk about. We are trying to create games, even though we made only one so far, and in the future there will be others that will come good and that we want to play. Which we think are interesting. It's not about trying to find a hole in the market, trying to sneak inside it, then count the incoming dollars. We made a game we were not sure would be liked by a lot of people but we knew we liked it and we were waiting for what people would say. The success excited us by the fact that people understood the game, liked it and wanted more.

If I'm to say something negative, so of course I'm not excited about a lot of bugs, but what bothered me most are things we were not able to implement. For me personally, it is the biggest disappointment that we have not been able to make those mass great battles. I was looking forward to making them, but it just could not be done. On the one hand, the engine is not quite suited for it, and a whole new technology would have to be developed, and we have failed. So we did the battles the way they could have been done. I think that if we worked on it longer, they may be a little better, but the huge and wonderful ones we had originally planned with hundreds of soldiers, they are not possible with this technology and hardware performance.

Q: You mentioned bugs and things you could not finish. So do not you think it would be better for you if you waited with the game?

I often say this. The French poet Paul Valéry once said that art his never completed but only abandoned. In games it is very significant. The game can always be improved, you can still work on it, you still see what's still there. We delayed several times because we knew it was not done yet, although the big part of the game was done. If one and a half years before the release we said it had to be released in half a year, we might have managed to release it, but we said we would give it more time and finish it as we can. One day you have to say enough, but I think there is still a lot of work and a lot of things that can be expanded or complement the missing stories, but one has to finish it someday, to say that the story of Henry ends, it goes into the setting sun and let's go for something else.

Q: So what are you up to now?

For now, we are creating updates, fixing bugs and prepare DLCs. We have some schedule that we are trying to accomplish more or less, but we're already thinking what's next. We still can not talk about what's going on, but that step is obvious. From the beginning of Kickstarter we say that it is a saga that just started. The end is obviously not the end. So it's probably clear that the plans are towards a sequel.

Q: So, do you still have a plan to move in the history of Hussite wars right now?

The plan is not so specific right now. We are definitely thinking about the story, but it's not like Henry left, and he has come from somewhere else (the Hussite wars are about 20 years after the events of the game, note.). rather it is going to go straight after the first game. Of course, we would like to do the Hussite wars, but we are not quite sure whether with our tempo, we'll get there before I will retire (laughs).

Q: So I suppose you still want to work on those big battles. But you mentioned that there were technological limits. Is it even possible to get around the current technology, or would you have to develop something new?

We will see. I think we're just at the border the existing engine's capabilities. New hardware can help us and, of course, if we start working on a new game, it will not be the next year, and probably not the one after, so better computers will exist and probably better consoles as well. So it will help us, but it will not help us dramatically. That means, if we are able to feature 80 soldiers on the scene now, with the better hardware and the same engine there will not be 800, but for example 150. So if it really were to be the massive battles we would have to develop something new. Either as an addition to this engine, but it's really a big endeavor, or switch to a newer engine. I think we do not want to do that because we've been developing our systems for a long time, and the Cryengine we use is greatly modified. We did a lot of things there, because it was not built for the RPG, so it makes no sense for us to drop it and start making a new game, for example, in Unreal. We have lot of extra systems and features done and if we want to have another game out faster we will continue with what we have.

If you are going to work on another game, are you planning to improve your own technology for it?

There are certainly a lot of things we are not completely satisfied with. We did some things to some extent, but not more, because we ran out of time, or because the hardware could not support it. So we're going to continue improving everything there in our existing technology.

So, what's next to us in Kingdom Come?

DLC and fixes. We definitely do not want to abandon the game in a way where we release the last DLC, upload it to steam, delete the game from our drives and just move on to something else. We want to leave the game in a state where we have a feeling that it is good, finished, with all broken stuff fixed and when someone sits and plays it 4 years later, it will work well and we will not have to be ashamed of it.

Sratopotator

Savant
How about: GTX 660 + i5-2400 + ssd? (even non-ti 660 is better than 750 ti, right?)

KCD is the only game provoking me to buy a new GPU/CPU, and making a smart/cheap middle-high end GPU purchase still appears to be fucking impossible (I'm cheap AND poor).

What to do bros and brosettes? Will it look like oblivion and perform like polish football players?
Game looks/reads/sounds great. Plz send help.:negative:

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
660 is indeed faster than 750 Ti. If you can, consider one of those old cheap Xeons or the i5 2500 instead. Regardless of that you will run better than I did, but only marginally. Don't expect more than 30 FPS in any situation, chances are you will dip to 15-20 on the lowest settings.
Plus if you are used to playing games on sub-optimal FPS and graphics chances are you will do fine, I completed this fucking game at 15-30 FPS.

Funposter

Arcane
How about: GTX 660 + i5-2400 + ssd? (even non-ti 660 is better than 750 ti, right?)

KCD is the only game provoking me to buy a new GPU/CPU, and making a smart/cheap middle-high end GPU purchase still appears to be fucking impossible (I'm cheap AND poor).

What to do bros and brosettes? Will it look like oblivion and perform like polish football players?
Game looks/reads/sounds great. Plz send help.:negative:

pre-release footage with a slightly better GPU, but this should give you an idea

And footage from release with an even further antiquated CPU

Paul_cz

Arcane
pre-release footage with a slightly better GPU, but this should give you an idea
I would not base any performance estimates on the betas. They were 100% zero optimized, final game runs much better.
With GTX 660 + i5-2400 I would expect 30fps on 900p on low to medium.

Baardhaas

Cipher
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here
Since more and more games are optimised for multiple cores, AMD's Ryzen cpu's become a decent bang for buck option. In the wake of the cryptocurrency wave, there are a lot of second hand graphic cards on the market now. SSD's aren't that expensive at the moment. You could make a fairly decent system if you shop around a bit and take some second hand parts as a stop gap if you're on a tight budget.

I'm pretty sure KCD can be fun at minimum settings with low fps, but to be honest, the graphics are part of the appeal. I don't consider myself a pure graphic whore either, but the level of detail they put in this game really helps the environmental storytelling. Would be a shame to miss out on that.

Sratopotator

Savant
20-30 FPS i can live with. Below 20 with bottle-necks i can't.
Thanks bros.

It sounds a bit encouraging but I'll probably change my CPU, as DarkUnderlord said. Can't stand those pesky bottlenecks.

As a side note: Is CPU market 'friendlier' than GPU one? Not asking so much about the prices, but rather about accessibility of reasonable middle-high end products. I'm out of the loop completely.

Sratopotator

Savant
In the wake of the cryptocurrency wave, there are a lot of second hand graphic cards on the market now.

Thanks, but buying used GPUs always made my skin shiver. Maybe its irrational, but it feels like buying an opened condom - you have to trust previous owner immensely to make a good purchase.

EDIT: It looks like I'm disagreeing with your post. Thanks for the answer! :love:

Last edited:

Baardhaas

Cipher
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here
In the wake of the cryptocurrency wave, there are a lot of second hand graphic cards on the market now.

Thanks, but buying used GPUs always made my skin shiver. Maybe its irrational, but it feels like buying an opened condom - you have to trust previous owner immensely to make a good purchase.
It depends a little on where you are, but electronics are under warranty for 2 to 3 years. You don't need to trust the seller, worst case if it doesn't work is that you have to put your card up for RMA and wait a couple of weeks.

Even with new parts you can make a very solid upgrade to your machine for under $400.

Codex Year of the Donut
it might be used for cryptocurrency mining...
it almost guaranteed was used for cryptocurrency mining and was heavily overclocked/beaten to hell
buying a used GPU is a dumb idea

good news is that GPU prices should be in freefall for a while because miners aren't buying them all up anymore.

cruel

Cipher
I had Gtx970 and this was the game that convinced me to switch to 1070 ti. It was playable, but it wasn't hard to get below 30fps and get uncomfortable. 1080p, everything maxed.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Paul_cz

Arcane
20-30 FPS i can live with. Below 20 with bottle-necks i can't.
Thanks bros.

It sounds a bit encouraging but I'll probably change my CPU, as DarkUnderlord said. Can't stand those pesky bottlenecks.

As a side note: Is CPU market 'friendlier' than GPU one? Not asking so much about the prices, but rather about accessibility of reasonable middle-high end products. I'm out of the loop completely.
6 core ryzen's are good and cheap. I was waiting all year for Intel's 9900K, but their shitty "we cost twice as much for 20% extra performance" pricing policies made me went back to AMD after a decade so I got Ryzen 2700X.

Smejki

Larian Studios, ex-Warhorse
Developer
I had Gtx970 and this was the game that convinced me to switch to 1070 ti. It was playable, but it wasn't hard to get below 30fps and get uncomfortable. 1080p, everything maxed.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
Strange. I have 970 at home and the game runs at 45-60 fps, all max + HD textures, in 1920x1200.
You either got a faulty piece (970s are known to have unstable performance) or you had some other bottleneck elsewhere.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Using a custom mix of medium (shadows) / high (shaders, vfx) / ultra (textures, draw distance) with motion blur disabled, my i5-2500k @ 4.4 ghz and amd 290 (4 gb vram) gets 30 - 60 fps at 1920x1200. One thing I noticed is that the game is very CPU bound on such a system, and the meltdown / spectre windows 7 "fix" was really tanking the performance, so I disabled it. Also taking the main game thread off of cpu core 0 helped a lot too, and I specified all 4 cores to be used in the game's config file.

Cadmus

Arcane
The fuckin dlc tourney tanks my fps to 19-25 totally unplayable. On Gtx1060 what the fuuuck. Used to get 40-60 during normal game. Its still unoptimized like shit. Dunno how you pepple get this good fps. It also fluctuates like hell for me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom