Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Need advice for modern TB game

Falksi

Arcane
Just downloaded Blackguards & Blackguards 2, on sale on GOG and £4.08 in total. Bargain.

Seriously, what game is ROA 1?
a627dd80bc3e9f595ef60909147662a3b461b12690e430664cb98e07867c32c1_product_card_v2_thumbnail_271.jpg

Ta :)

Never played any of these. Are they any good?

Any one which folk would recommend in particular?

ManaJunkie

Arbiter
Just downloaded Blackguards & Blackguards 2, on sale on GOG and £4.08 in total. Bargain.

a627dd80bc3e9f595ef60909147662a3b461b12690e430664cb98e07867c32c1_product_card_v2_thumbnail_271.jpg

They are fantastic! The second is the best one.
But you can play your party through all parts, so start with the first and enjoy the improvments of part 2. Riva ist good too, but the first and second are majestic.
Take fighter, mage, dwarf, 3 elves and go with it.

Falksi

Arcane

But you can play your party through all parts, so start with the first and enjoy the improvments of part 2. Riva ist good too, but the first and second are majestic.

Thanks again chap. Just about to buy them on steam, but notice there's a 2013 version. Is that worth a look or a waste of time?

Gregz

Arcane
Which modern TB game should I buy and play? I was thinking about these:

D:OS (Original or EE?)
XCOM, XCOM 2
Blackguards, Blackguards 2
???

D:OS (play the Original, not the EE version) is quite fun.
XCOM (I suggest using openXcom) is excellent.
JA2 1.13 is the ultimate TB squad combat game.

Others I highly recommend:
Knights of the Chalice
Temple of Elemental Evil
Stranger of Sword City
Zangband

Last edited:

ManaJunkie

Arbiter

Thanks again chap. Just about to buy them on steam, but notice there's a 2013 version. Is that worth a look or a waste of time?

As far as i know the HD´s are crap. I play the originals since release and they don´t need a remake in my opinion so i never touched the new versions. I use a DVD-release from 2011 (with prof mode, but for germans only) and it runs well on win7,10.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

ERYFKRAD

MpuMngwana

Arbiter

The 2013 version is one of the ugliest games ever, and used to be very buggy (but I believe it is for the most part fixed, someone correct me if I'm wrong), so the people who have played the game 20 times are obviously gonna recommend the originals (superior version for players who know what they're doing). However, if you don't have experience with the ruleset, it adds a couple of quality of life features:
- Tooltips for skills and spells. Very nice to have, since spells are less self-explanatory than, say, DnD, and checking the tooltip when deciding whether to put points into Witch's Spit or Blamdabidambadabadidabadablam is faster than alt-tabbing to/checking the printed out manual
- IIRC some of the skills that were never used in the original are removed, leaving fewer trap options
- There is a combat speed slider, which is always nice to have. I don't recall this option being in the originals
Even with these improvements, the remake is still horrendously ugly, so decide for yourself what you value more.

Another thing that you want to know is that the RoA games are heavy on survival elements. A lot of people like those, I in particular wasn't very fond of them (felt like taking a bunch of toddlers on a hiking trip). It's a matter of taste more than anything, so before buying, you should ask yourself whether the idea of half your party dying of pneumonia because you forgot to buy them warm socks sounds enjoyable. If yes, go for it; if not, you should probably give it a pass.

Bastardchops

Augur
Patron
Battle Brothers is excellent if you like XCOM style party/squad building turn based. I'm about to start X-COM with Enemy Unknown having never played them.

Bastardchops

Augur
Patron
Also Knights of the Chalice is a blast. Made by a french madman who has an intriguing relationship to money.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
D:OS (play the Original, not the EE version) is quite fun.
XCOM (I suggest using openXcom) is excellent.
JA2 1.13 is the ultimate TB squad combat game.

Others I highly recommend:
Knights of the Chalice
Temple of Elemental Evil

So far so good, Divinity Original Sin is good and is turn-based, i don't know why so many codexers pull a face on this one, maybe a bit too much of combat and combat wasn't as good and dynamic as in ToEE, still, it's good.

Stranger of Sword City
Zangband

These ones ...
Searched for Zangband, found an ASCII thing, it's ok to play it if you're already blind, otherwise, i'd advice against it.

Stranger of sword city, tried it after seeing some references of it in the codex, i want to like it but the UI is terrible, managing items, your party and everything else is a pain in the ass, even combat is a chore, it's repetitive real fast even if there is some good ideas like ambushing monsters or maybe just this one good idea but i didn't play much because of everything i just said.

Also, it's terribly unbalanced, but not in a good way, like random unbalance, this thing needs 2 years more of development.

Master

Arbiter
Also ignore Jagged Alliance 2. It was good, for its time, and i completed it back in the day, but it was really a slog. And your eyes will bleed with the tiny UI/sprites.
Nobody forces you to play it in 50 billion upscaled resolution. Just use the original 640x480 or around that. Its not that bad.

Molina

Savant
I take advantage of this open topic for my question: Which game to play first: UnderRail or Age of Decadence ?

agris

Arcane
Patron
They’re very different games, but you can’t gonwrong with either. AoD is shorter and there’s more story and quest content locked behind your charbuild, such that it incentives replaying. Underrail is longer, and incentivizes replaying through a really robust combat and itemization system that supports lots of different builds.

Efe

Erudite
underrail is better imo. more of a traditional crpg
aod t, you get to enjoy it once you figure out what skills/stats to level (and how much to level) but it takes some autism or wiki/guide reading (or abusing save/load and levelling up just enough for each encounter)

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Is "invisible inc" good? No mention yet in this thread even though there is already a mention of the mediocre shadowrun games.

Prehistorik

Scholar
Thanks all for suggestions! I bought DOS on sale, will see how it goes. So far really liking the engine, works smooth, looks great, not some Unity shit.

Now also pumped for turn based in Pillars.

Also I'm sad Temple+ doesn't work on linux.

Cael

Arcane
Realms of Arkania (ROA) are good games, but if you want good starting characters, you will be at chargen for a long time. Everything about that game is based on dice rolls, including how many skills you get to improve per level and stat improvement. Bad luck can really do a number on your characters. Therefore, do NOT expect a modern style RPG leveling and character development. ROA is brutal.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom