Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Basic tactics eludes a lot of players, especially from the casual audience, yes.

The entire SSS is pure arena set piece arena encounters. Most of them are designed exactly to nullify the usual basic tactics. You can't choke point, you can rarely pull, enemies come from unpredictable angles so you can't just clump around your backline, priority targets can be protected by strategically placed obstacles, which vary with every map. And so on and so on.

Tight formation against one of the edges or in a corner (there are ones on every map since the platform is broken) is a serviceable substitute and pulling is absolutely possible, kiting less so.

The bounty in Dunnage is also a nightmare.

Just walk past them at set up at the outer edge of the pier, ez pz.

Last edited:

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Tight formation against one of the edges of in a corner (there are ones on every map since the platform is broken) is a serviceable substitute and pulling is absolutely possible, kiting less so.

Pulling will generally aggroes the entire playfield, that's not including the maps where you actually have to walk to the middle to trigger the spawn.

The bounty in Dunnage is also a nightmare.

Just walk past them at set up at the outer edge of the pier, ez pz.[/QUOTE]

Or just gank the snipers they have up on the street and then use a choke point to block those incoming from the pier.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Pulling will generally aggroes the entire playfield, that's not including the maps where you actually have to walk to the middle to trigger the spawn.

I meant pulling in the sense that you can get them to aggro one dude and walk towards him in a cone in your desired direction while the rest of your party is setting up some AoE bonanza on them. On some of the maps you can even pull smaller groups.

Perhaps I could have been clearer.

Or just gank the snipers they have up on the street and then use a choke point to block those incoming from the pier.

So how is it a nightmare then? It is very easy to set up a favourable position since you won't aggro you until you attack or talk to the ogre.

Perhaps we are talking past each other here..? I currently have a high fever and things feel a bit blurry.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
It doesn't only require basic tactics. I had to scramble every consumable, trap and tactic to beat the fight with only the PC (Paladin/Rogue), Eder (Fighter/Rogue) and Xoti (Priest/Monk). And it still required quite a big dose of RNG. If you can somehow pull individual mobs and kill them that way, then yeah, sure, it requires even less than basic tactics.

I set up trap on the ramp, pulled them up the ramp, threw few grenades with eder then hold position with both eder and xoti. My PC was wizard and I had either the default grimoire or the one you bought from the town, Eder was fighter, Xoti was priest/monk. Now admittedly, first time around I just walked down the ramp and got killed pretty much with no chance as I tried to just kill individual panthers.

As I said, I think people here overwhelmingly played melee classes (like your paladin/rogue) and possibly also because multiclasses are I think weaker very early on as they get their abilities a level or so later.

What I am saying is, that fight didn't feel unfair and I don't think it is the hardest fight in the game either. I didn't even play the DLCs or latter half of the game even but I remember much more challenging stuff than that.

What did you think was the hardest fight then? (Let's say the highest you do is the triple white skull quests/encounters as to not face too overleveled opponents.) I'm curious.

While the game has gotten a shitton harder since the sorry state it was in at release(when you could play literally blindfolded past lvl 10 or so), all the abilities you gain at mid/higher levels still kind of breaks the balance of the game imo. There should have been much more e of immunities imo that you need to adjust to or dispel.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
What did you think was the hardest fight then? (Let's say the highest you do is the triple white skull quests/encounters as to not face too overleveled opponents.) I'm curious.

While the game has gotten a shitton harder since the sorry state it was in at release(when you could play literally blindfolded past lvl 10 or so), all the abilities you gain at mid/higher levels still kind of breaks the balance of the game imo. There should have been much more e of immunities imo that you need to adjust to or dispel.

The game needs more hard disables and counter-play in general. I don't think it's perfect or anything.

I don't remember the particular encounters, but I stopped playing I think about midway through in Neketaka, it wasn't past lvl 10 yet.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Is there a consensus on multiclassing? Is it generally yay or nay or does it depend on the character in question?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I haven't read anyone saying a single-classed character is better than a multi one. Generally, the top level abilities/spells aren't useful and aren't worth trading the versatility and bonuses another class brings.

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
Is there a consensus on multiclassing? Is it generally yay or nay or does it depend on the character in question?

The game is extremely accommodating to a large variety of single and multi-classed characters. Though there are some steps back (as Lacrymas mentions), it is honestly one of the best games to fool around with different character builds, even on PotD.

Parabalus

Arcane
What do the bonuses from Galawain's challenge do? Can't find descriptions in game or by google.

I haven't read anyone saying a single-classed character is better than a multi one. Generally, the top level abilities/spells aren't useful and aren't worth trading the versatility and bonuses another class brings.

The top tier skills are extremely broken, you didn't see much discussion here because the late game difficulty was a joke.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
So how is it a nightmare then? It is very easy to set up a favourable position since you won't aggro you until you attack or talk to the ogre.

Perhaps we are talking past each other here..? I currently have a high fever and things feel a bit blurry.

I meant it was a nightmare the first time I tried it. The set up is quite clever with bounty target on the pier and high-level snipers on the balcony bringing out the damage. But once you figure it out it's easy.

Codex Year of the Donut
consensus when the game released was that top level wizard skills are incredibly OP
no idea if it changed

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
It has been a while, but with Gorreci Street, I want to say I pulled the looters all the way behind a house to the south west part of the map. The melee ran too far ahead, and the mage/ranged had to turn the corner tightly to be in line of sight again.

I remember the Drake being a pain in the ass, but not impossible. Granted, my first playthrough was well before the DLCs.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Multi-classing is generally preferable, fiinal level skills aren't so good that it would be worth going single class just for them. But there's certainly exceptions.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
:slamdunk:

Might be time to replace that with the Dumpsterfire image.

GIA4Knx.png

Parabalus

Arcane
Galawain's challenge is pretty brutal, on the first ruins the mutations gave me a level 5 boar with robust. He did 100 damage with his initial attack. The drake is also "hardened" with 12 base AR.

:bounce:

Multi-classing is generally preferable, fiinal level skills aren't so good that it would be worth going single class just for them. But there's certainly exceptions.

You also get the lower level skills much faster than a MC.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Yeah it's the low and mid level skills that make a difference, especially since most classes have a power curve at tier 3 or 4 abilities. So purely on paper multiclasses are (generally) better, but it takes them a while to get there.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

The game is extremely accommodating to a large variety of single and multi-classed characters. Though there are some steps back (as Lacrymas mentions), it is honestly one of the best games to fool around with different character builds, even on PotD.

Multiclasses it is then for my upcoming PotD playthrough.

Efe

Erudite
can you beat potd while playing the game as its intended? meaning no kiting or other shit "tactics"

Efe

Erudite
is anyone doing a potd playthrough then? i need to see what people are doing

2house2fly

Magister
At launch people were completing Path Of The Damned by putting the AI on autoattack and going to make a cup of tea. It's been toughened up since then, but probably not to the point where you'd need to cheese it to win

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom