Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
If one god is real than why isn't it around doing things. :M

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
This is extremely inaccurate
Except being an Evoker and casting overpowered Meteor Showers and Missile Salvos, which class has good enough lvl8 and 9 abilities to be worth the trade-off?

Most of them are worth it for two reasons.

#1 you reach the power level 5/6/7 "break point" that has the CORE class abilities earlier and at the game's biggest difficulty spike, which is levels 9-13, and that helps you get power much earlier

#2 most of the classes have lvl 9 abilities that are absolutely superb. Monk and Barbarian and Fighter and Rogue and Priest off the top of my head are great. Ranger is the only one off the top of my head that has shit lvl 9s

All the dual classes range from extremely balanced because Sawyer to completely garbage

Yup. That's in addition that single class abilities are significantly better than the same multi-class abilities due to those Power Level mechanics.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I mean I haven't checked patch notes on the lvl 8/9 abilities for about 5 months but it seemed like none of the really good ones were getting the nerf and are at a similar level of power to release.

There literally isn't a single super powergamey dual class really, the only ones that come close are the dual fighter ones, and pure Barbarian/Fighter/Cipher is just as good in many ways.

The only really good dual classes are the ones Obsidian intentionally left un-nerfed, dual cipher and dual fighter. Rest got slammed in beta

In terms of power levels it sort of matters less because you can usually hit the might cap super lategame if you stack enough top tier loot so in the end dual class is more than equally good.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
isn't the fact that the magic missile spells are indisputably the be-all end-alls of the wizard class a rather bleak indictment on the subpar qualities of PoE's magical systems? i think so.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
isn't the fact that the magic missile spells are indisputably the be-all end-alls of the wizard class a rather bleak indictment on the subpar qualities of PoE's magical systems? i think so.

I'd say it's a very good ystem where low level spells are still be relevant instead of just wasting space on your hotbar.

Is there a list of the "bestest" spells for wizards and priests?

Basically
  1. Minoletta's Minor Missiles
  2. Concelhaut's Draining Missiles (Minoletta's Minor Missiles Remix)
  3. no good spells on this level, ignore
  4. Minoletta's Concussive Missiles
  5. no good spells on this level, ignore
  6. Minoletta's Precisely Piercing Burst
  7. no good spells on this level, ignore
  8. Minoletta's Piercing Sigil
  9. Minoletta's Missile Salvo
Can confirm. Played a wizard, Minnesota missile is the answer to every question in PoE2. Josh balanced magic down from overpowered buffs/debuffs/crowd control into it's purest and most balanced form: a glowing ball of indeterminate energy that hits you for damage.
:littlemissfun:

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Full tank Fighter/Wizard is also pretty great, and Illusionist with +Illusion power levels from items debuffs like mad. Wizards are pretty versatile this time.

Tenebris

Scholar
The final dlc is definitely a solid experience. If only they made the base game just as good. If they do make a third game I hope they have it take place in Yezuha.

2house2fly

Magister
Maybe the writing in PoE isn't so bad after all, if you consider a story idea that was scrapped(if it was ever even considered at all) even worth mentioning

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Is there a list of the "bestest" spells for wizards and priests?

Basically
  1. Minoletta's Minor Missiles
  2. Concelhaut's Draining Missiles (Minoletta's Minor Missiles Remix)
  3. no good spells on this level, ignore
  4. Minoletta's Concussive Missiles
  5. no good spells on this level, ignore
  6. Minoletta's Precisely Piercing Burst
  7. no good spells on this level, ignore
  8. Minoletta's Piercing Sigil
  9. Minoletta's Missile Salvo
Can confirm. Played a wizard, Minnesota missile is the answer to every question in PoE2. Josh balanced magic down from overpowered buffs/debuffs/crowd control into it's purest and most balanced form: a glowing ball of indeterminate energy that hits you for damage.
:littlemissfun:

To be fair.. Chill Fog is pretty top shelf for a level 1 spell.. There are a few others as well.. but yea this game doesn't scale well.. Level Nine Minoletta's just fucking rapes everything.. especially when paired with a few other things..

POTD is extremely hard / fun for the first island.. then becomes a complete cakewalk because of how broken some of the abilities and spells are..

Yosharian

Arcane
To be fair.. Chill Fog is pretty top shelf for a level 1 spell.. There are a few others as well.. but yea this game doesn't scale well.. Level Nine Minoletta's just fucking rapes everything.. especially when paired with a few other things..
What about megaboss battles? Apparently, if you don't have a Cipher, you run out resources

I want to run a single-class Evoker in my party, but I'm considering replacing him with a single-class Cipher instead for more sustainability in longer battles.

What do you think? It'll be the first time I ever run a single-class Wizard like this, so I don't know how it performs lategame in those prolonged boss battles

Ulfhednar

Savant
What about megaboss battles? Apparently, if you don't have a Cipher, you run out resources

I want to run a single-class Evoker in my party, but I'm considering replacing him with a single-class Cipher instead for more sustainability in longer battles.

What do you think? It'll be the first time I ever run a single-class Wizard like this, so I don't know how it performs lategame in those prolonged boss battles
Certain technical builds will make the megaboss battles much easier - you may just want to hire mercenaries for them and play the rest of the game with characters/builds you enjoy.

Yosharian

Arcane

Certain technical builds will make the megaboss battles much easier - you may just want to hire mercenaries for them and play the rest of the game with characters/builds you enjoy.
Ah that's a good point, I hadn't thought of that. Alright, Evoker it is!

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
#2 most of the classes have lvl 9 abilities that are absolutely superb. Monk and Barbarian and Fighter and Rogue and Priest off the top of my head are great. Ranger is the only one off the top of my head that has shit lvl 9s

Monk and Barbarian? YES!
Priest? Nope (level 8 are decent though).
Rogue? Gambit is kinda cool, but doesn't nearly compensate for HUGE potential wasted by not multi-classing
Fighter? Are you kidding....?

Ranger? So finally he becomes a pretty decent aoe meleer with Whirling Strikes, gets Twinned and stunning shots... and that's... shit?

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
yeah wow the fighter's are shit, I think I thought clear out was a lvl 8 or something

Wizard gets wall of many colours though the best spell ever, and Chanter gets His Heart Did Fill With the Light of the Dawn which is amazing for super bosses.

Cipher can go either way.

Cipher can go either way mostly for earlier access to critical mid-game powers, which otherwise are late-game, plus higher power level. The final ones are not that awesome. The passives are nice though.

Wizard is great pure, certainly. Though he is also great MC material.

Chanters gets upgraded Eld Nary's tornado swarms, which are supposedly great (not that I ever played a pure Chanter).

Parabalus

Arcane

If you want something completely broken it's Cipher for Brilliant combined with Priest for Salvation of Time, both can be Multi if you're lvl 20.

Though for the megabosses Cipher seems pretty mandatory in a 'normal' party, they're long as fuck.

yeah wow the fighter's are shit, I think I thought clear out was a lvl 8 or something

Wizard gets wall of many colours though the best spell ever, and Chanter gets His Heart Did Fill With the Light of the Dawn which is amazing for super bosses.

Cipher can go either way.

Cipher can go either way mostly for earlier access to critical mid-game powers, which otherwise are late-game, plus higher power level. The final ones are not that awesome. The passives are nice though.

Wizard is great pure, certainly. Though he is also great MC material.

Chanters gets upgraded Eld Nary's tornado swarms, which are supposedly great (not that I ever played a pure Chanter).

The cipher level 8-9 ones aren't that interesting, maybe the +PEN one. You get the lower levels earlier which is great.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom