Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Expeditions: Rome - the final Expeditions game from Logic Artists

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer
Wasn't Vikings already made because it's a more commonly popular setting compared to Conquistador, to reach a broader audience?

I assumed it was because the developers are Danish
Bit of both. What we choose is not up to me, but Viking definitely appealed to my inner Dane.

harhar!

Augur
Let's hope for less barrel smashing in the next game. I liked the HOMM style of the first one better than the RPG style of the second game.

hellbent

Augur
Let's hope they do some optimization this time.

Dumping Unity for the 3rd game would probably be a plus. I'd love to see Expeditions: Zulu but I'm guessing they're going to avoid anything remotely controversial now that they're under the big publisher umbrella.

Dodo1610

Arcane

Dumping Unity for the 3rd game would probably be a plus. I'd love to see Expeditions: Zulu but I'm guessing they're going to avoid anything remotely controversial now that they're under the big publisher umbrella.

Their games don't try to be historicly accurate ( which i like), so if they make a game about Africa they will give you the chance to be nice to the locals like in Conquistadors.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
If they do Africa, then I would like to see Expeditions: Congo. Although my first choice would be Expeditions: Vandal.

Aristeas (Greek: Ἀριστέας) was a semi-legendary Greek poet and miracle-worker, a native of Proconnesus in Asia Minor, active ca. 7th century BC.

Aristeas was supposed to have authored a poem called the Arimaspea, giving an account of travels in the far North. There he encountered a tribe called the Issedones, who told him of still more fantastic and northerly peoples: the one-eyed Arimaspi who battle gold-guarding griffins, and the Hyperboreans among whom Apollo lives during the winter.

Euthymenes of Massalia (/juːˈθɪməˌniːz/; Greek: Εὐθυμένης ὁ Μασσαλιώτης Euthymenēs ho Massaliōtēs; fl. early sixth century BCE) was a Greek explorer from Massilia (Marseille), who explored the coast of West Africa as far, apparently, as a great river, of which the outflow made the sea at its mouth fresh or brackish. His published accounts have not survived, but seem to have been known, at least at secondhand, by Plutarch, who writes "Euthymenes the Massilian concludes that the Nile is filled by Oceanus and that sea which is outward from it, the latter being naturally sweet." Euthymenes thought that this river was the Nile, but the river in question may have been the Senegal.

Scylax of Caryanda (Greek: Σκύλαξ ο Καρυανδεύς) was a renowned Greek explorer and writer of the late 6th and early 5th centuries BCE.

In about 515 BCE, Scylax was sent by King Darius I of Persia to follow the course of the Indus River - which gives India her name - and discover where it led.[1] Scylax and his companions set out from the city of Caspatyrus (Gandhara), which would mean he may have entered the Indus River in the northwestern part of the Indian subcontinent, somewhere in the borderlands of present-day Afghanistan and Pakistan. Scylax sailed down the river until he found it reached the Arabian Sea. He then sailed west across the Arabian Sea until he arrived at the Red Sea, which he also explored. He travelled as far as the Red Sea's western end at Suez, before returning to report to Darius I. His entire journey took thirty months.

Pytheas of Massalia (/ˈpɪθiəs/; Ancient Greek: Πυθέας ὁ Μασσαλιώτης Pythéas ho Massaliōtēs; Latin: Pytheas Massiliensis; fl. 4th century BC), was a Greek geographer and explorer from the Greek colony of Massalia (modern-day Marseille). He made a voyage of exploration to northwestern Europe in about 325 BC, but his account of it, widely known in Antiquity, has not survived and is now known only through the writings of others.

On this voyage, he circumnavigated and visited a considerable part of Great Britain. He was the first known scientific visitor to see and describe the Arctic, polar ice, and the Germanic tribes. He is also the first person on record to describe the Midnight Sun. The theoretical existence of some Northern phenomena he described, such as a frigid zone, and temperate zones where the nights are very short in summer and the sun does not set at the summer solstice, was already known. Similarly, reports of a country of perpetual snow and darkness (the country of the Hyperboreans) had reached the Mediterranean some centuries before.

Pytheas introduced the idea of distant Thule to the geographic imagination, and his account of the tides is the earliest one known that suggests the moon as their cause. He also may have reached Iceland.[1]

Eudoxus of Cyzicus (/ˈjuːdəksəs/; Greek: Εὔδοξος ὁ Κυζικηνός, Eúdoxos ho Kyzikēnós; fl. c. 130 BC) was a Greek navigator who explored the Arabian Sea for Ptolemy VIII, king of the Hellenistic Ptolemaic dynasty in Egypt.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Whoops. Spotted back in July, but I guess most people didn't notice because of the spoiler tag:

Not sure if anyone has posted this here yet, but it's possible clue in regards to the next Expeditions setting.

Expeditions: Rome?

https://euipo.europa.eu/eSearch/#details/trademarks/015091374

HDfH5iH.png

If that's the game, they've actually been planning it for a while.

Mustawd

You have my Gladius...or the spear thingie. Depending on what roman period :/

EIR is the obvious choice of course.

Last edited by a moderator:

V_K

Arcane
Somehow Rome excites me even less than Vikings - probably because Rome was the subject of far too many boring high school history lessons, while Vikings were not.
Well, I'm actually going to Rome for Christmas, maybe I'll change my mind after the trip.

Mustawd

V_K , I recommend some reading on the Punic Wars to get the blood flowing.

Carthage was my pet army back when i first wanted to get into ancient wargaming. The Punic Wars are a great read.

I recommend this book if you wanna get in the mood. Although it’s mostly Carthage based, it’s still a good way to get flavor. It’d be like reading a book about Orks if you were gonna play a Space Marine army vs Orks in WH40k.

https://www.amazon.com/Hannibal-Crosses-Alps-Invasion-Second/dp/0306810700

Last edited by a moderator:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Rome seems like a good choice.

Hope they wont overthink it , simply keep the series' hallmarks and what worked well in the first game(s)

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
V_K , I recommend some reading on the Punic Wars to get the blood flowing.

Carthage was my pet army back when i first wanted to get into ancient wargaming. The Punic Wars are a great read.

I recommend this book if you wanna get in the mood. Although it’s mostly Carthage based, it’s still a good way to get flavor. It’d be like reading a book about Orks if you were gonna play a Space Marine army vs Orks in WH40k.

https://www.amazon.com/Hannibal-Crosses-Alps-Invasion-Second/dp/0306810700
The game will most likely be about the expeditions in Gallia or Germania. It will be fun putting all those barbarians to the gladius!

V_K

Arcane
I cannot wait for all those female Centurians and Senators that will show how progressive Rome was.
That's actually a valid point. It's not entirely impossible to imagine female battle leaders in Viking culture or in late Renaissance, whatever the manlets here say, but in Rome where they weren't even given personal names? Gonna be harder to spin. Unless of course the game is the fall of Rome and you're playing for the Germanic tribes.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

thinking.png
Was it a clue?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom