Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Thief 20th Anniversary Feature at PC Gamer

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Includes details about cancelled Looking Glass Thief III, skacky quotes, and more.

Last edited:

The Great ThunThun*

How DARE you!?
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
How is that the best game ever made was made 18 years ago. Seriously, is this game even going to be superseded? It uses visuals, sound and character-world interaction to the utmost and is only limited by the technology of the day. Gaming at its best and deepest. Thief, I salute thee. :excellent:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
A surprisingly good read, considering it's PC Gamer.

skacky get in here and receive your (Golden) Brofists.

EDIT: Don't flip me the bird, you taffer! :D

Last edited:

Zenith

Arbiter
A good time to remind taffers that there's 10+ hours worth of in-depth interviews with former LGS devs over here, thoroughly recommended.

glasnost

Augur
It's been my favorite game ever since the first night I listened in the dark to the hammers murmuring tuneless hymns under their breath in cragscleft prison. My favorite gameplay; I feel the most at home in that context. I wouldn't mind having the arma-style abiliity to glance over my shoulder while moving forward, though. I can't think of anything else lacking in the player "controller."

I find it rather dreary playing it on on newer monitors, though. I recently got a new VA-panel display, and when I turn off the lights and crank up the contrast it's not too bad (certainly much, much better than the ratty TN-panel it replaced). I wondered if anyone has experience with Thieves 1+2 on IPS monitors?

RapineDel

Augur
If you want to go into a good old fashioned Codexian rage I'd suggest everyone to read the comments.

Have to love when I hear "unplayable" about old games like Fallout 1. I feel like "unplayable" is a buzzword meaning "wasn't instantly playable without skimming through the manual or doing minor research". If it's not instantly fun and making you feel like a virtual winner it has to be shit and outdated.

KazikluBey

Cipher
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I find it rather dreary playing it on on newer monitors, though. I recently got a new VA-panel display, and when I turn off the lights and crank up the contrast it's not too bad (certainly much, much better than the ratty TN-panel it replaced). I wondered if anyone has experience with Thieves 1+2 on IPS monitors?
My Dell IPS monitor isn't very new anymore, but it's backlight bleed galore. I need to turn down the brightness pretty far for the darkest corners not to glow. VA is supposed to be better at blocking out light, I think?

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Strange that you find stunning OLED displays, which are the only thing that can display black properly, in tiny 5 inch smartphones, and fuckhueg 80 inch TV's, but not computer displays....

glasnost

Augur
VA is supposed to be better at blocking out light, I think?
I think so, but it's still not what I want it to be. VA has its own issues, but this seems livable enough for me while I keep waiting for monitors to get back to how I want them to be (assuming real black is even a priority with computer displays ever again).

Onionguy

Educated
That is exactly why I play both thief games on my aristocratic 15'' crt monitor. Really, black and colors are great and I don't have to tinker with hd textures. I just Install Tfix with legacy launchers and play it in software mode. The greatest thing ever.

passerby

Arcane
If you want to go into a good old fashioned Codexian rage I'd suggest everyone to read the comments.

I've opened the comments, the first words in the top comment: Alpha Centauri. I didn't read any further and closed the tab immidiately.

Fuck, turns out I do not enjoy "good old fashioned Codexian rage" anymore :|

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
people who can't enjoy "old games" are just dumb. there's no use spending time trying to think about why.

Onionguy

Educated

I've opened the comments, the first words in the top comment: Alpha Centauri. I didn't read any further and closed the tab immidiately.

Fuck, turns out I do not enjoy "good old fashioned Codexian rage" anymore :|

I no longer read things like that since I realized how many people actually believe that doom 3 is the best of the series because of its "atmosphere". Fucking subhumans.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom